Trying to choose video card

robbx2

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
My computer totally bombed so I'm building a new one. I needed to anyways though. BTW, the problem was my Quantum Fireball AS 40.0 that decided to completely shut down.

I am debating the ATI R8500 64MB, GF3, GF3 Ti500, GF3 Ti200, and GF4 MX440 graphics cards. My only real use will be home use for school work as well as occasional games, some basic and some on-line multiplayer like Everquest or the new SW:G. I definitely do not need TV out or 2 screens and will most likely have a 17" CRT flat-screen. I also don’t care too much about noise.

Now I know that the MX440 is really just a GF2 with some added features so it is missing all the new technology that came with the GF3. What I really want to know is how the R8500 compares to the GF3. Did it come out before the GF3 or after? If after, did it include all those technology updates that the GF3 included or is it an inferior design?

Also, overclocking is not too big of an issue. If one of these cards is an exceptional overclocker then I would be willing to learn how to do it safely and effectively. As you can probably tell by the selection I'm looking at mid-range stuff. GF4 and the newest Radeon's are not within my budget.

Thanks,
Robb²

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
wait for ATI R9700 to come out, then the cards would be cheap as hell. hell will be able to get good GF cards for cheap, maybe Ti4400.

the worst failure is not trying........so go ahead and TRY to overclock your cpu to 5ghz