Pentium4 worth upgrading to Win7?

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
In my office we are upgrading most of the computers to Windows 7, a couple are not worth it since they will be replaced within the coming year anyway.
One remains in question though,

IBM
P4 @1.8 ghz
2 gb Ram

It mostly just uses microsoft office.

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi jbourne84,

The choice is really only one you can make. I'd say if you are planning on replacing the PC in the near future (like others in the office), waiting may be the way to go. If you are planning on holding on to the computer, upgrading is the way to go. Before upgrading it is a good idea to run the Upgrade Advisor to be sure the computer is equipped to run Windows 7.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

From my experience and info on Windows 7, it wont be fully worth it. Windows 7 was designed around newer hardware and works best with multicore processors and larger amounts of RAM (SuperFetch).

Not saying it would run bad, but to get the most out of Windows 7, a newer PC would be preferable.

For that old of hardware its better to stay with XP which was designed more with fast single core CPUs in mind.

xNoXiOuS

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
In my honest opinion a 1.8GHZ processor wouldn't make the cut. The 2 gigs of ram however, would. I'm also assuming the GPU is older than sin so the driver support is probably non existent for Windows 7. I would stick with XP if has been tested and proven to work with the hardware that you have.