Virus? Worm? Bad Video Card? Help?

jpuntel

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
I was playing a JK2 mod for the first time, and suddenly my picture began to jerk, every 3 seconds the picture would stutter. Never noticed any problems at all prior to this incident. then after about 10 minutes my computer beeped three times and the keyboard locked out, so I couldn't stop the game. To exit I tried CTRL-ALT-DELETE, no luck then I tried the Windows key, nothing. (hey dumb ass, your keyboard is locked out) Anyway 2 minutes later I get an unusual blu screen form Win XP that says it had to stop the program before it did damage to the computer. I tried variuos ways to remedy the situation. reloading the game, running virus scans, using system restore. No luck . now every game and DVD movie I have skips every 3 seconds and the games also lockout the keyboard after 10 minutes. I haven't seen the blue screen any more. ( maybe the damage is done)everything else seems to be just fine. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks

Board MSI K7T266 Pro2
MEM 256 Crucial
Hard 2 60 GIG SEAGATE 0+Stipe Raid
Radeon 64 DV 7200
AMD 1700 XP
Win XP PRO

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
This is not virus but it seems to me it’s a stability problem. If you overclock, try lower down your clock or add a fan or something to cool your system down a bit. Else it could be your VGA driver or the directx is giving some problem. Reinstall them and see if this help.