low score on 3dmark2001 with geforce3 ti200, HELP!

framarti

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2002
i just bought a g3ti200 and i don't understand why i get a low score. The graphic card is running at 210/490. I think it may be involved with my ram. My mobo is old and i can only use sdram pc133.

i bought a prolink pixelview gf3ti 200, it comes with 4ns memory and a really good tv out

I was very shocked when i saw my vertex shader score (9,7), strage or not??

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4152550

please help me.

Thanks

my rig,
Asus a7a133
Athlon XP 1700+
256Mb SDRam Pc133
HD 20GB
Onboard sound (i had to sell my sb live 5.1 to afford the gf3 ti200) :(
Asus Ipanel
LG 12x8x32x

eden

Champion
Hmm this is odd.
Does it happen at stock clock?
Sometimes overclocking might hurt the hardware Vertex Shader units and cause them to misfunction. Also what drivers are you using?

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
maybe its your 256 MB of PC133 ram thats holding you back. PC133 is weak...especially if you only have 256 mb man...

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Is your card running at AGP4X and AGP fastwrite enabled? You can check that using WCPUID (Can get free download from Cnet). Enable the 4X through your BIOS and also from Rivatuner or GeForce tweak utility as well as the fastwrite. If both of these were disabled, they can hurt your benchmark score.

eden

Champion
Hmm but still, such score is definitly not right. I opened the link he gave and it had my account's 3d Mark results, so I could directly compare mine to his, and I had around 50 while he was at 9.7, so there is something wrong, especially since I use an AthlonXP 1600+!

Now although it might sound radical to go this far just for a test to be better, did you try flashing your BIOS? Did you try the tweaks the poster above me told you?

Also, play Vertex Shader enhanced games, you can then know for sure if it ain't just 3d Mark 2001 screwing you up. Also did you make sure you have the 2001 SE v330? It contains some bug fixes, which MIGHT be related to your case.

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Actually I used to think that AGP fast writes were good, but in practice it seems they can slow down your card. I believe fast writes were made for graphics workstation rendering and not for games. Some people recommend disabling fast writes.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think it's a driver issue. The nVidia driver package used to include the latest AGP driver for ALi and VIA. Well, nVidia has been sacrificing compatability and stability on the minority of systems with their drivers in order to stay ahead of ATI in performance with the majority of systems. Try an even earlier driver revision.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
In my case is different. My ASUS P4T mobo (Using GF3 Ti200) has the option to enable AGP Fast Write and fast write did give me better benchmark score. Probably it is not always the case for all video cards as some VGA cards do not support AGP fast write. Take a look at Tomshardware guide that shows better performance enabling the fast write: http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/01q3/010725/bios_tuning-18.html.

Another thing is sideband addressing where my system cannot enable. I don’t know enbaling the sideband addressing can give how much performance boost but enabling it will crash my system during game play.

For the case of our friend, framarti, it could be that he accidentally turn on the AA as well. Probably 4X AA which can really slow down the system frame rates.

framarti

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2002
well, i'm saving money to change my mobo.
My new mobo will have ddr support and if the score doesn't fix, i'll change the card.

My new mobo will be the a7s333 and i'll be using ddr266

Anyway, is someone uses a system like mine, please send me your scores in 3dmark so i can compare them.

Thanks for all your help

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I think you should get near 7800 if you don't get the problems still.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
With the A7S333, you'll get scores about 90% the speed of someone with a Via KT333. This is because Via sacrifices stability for speed, so while you get far less crashes (practically 0 crashes for me and no BSOD's after 2+ months of use) everything is a little bit slower.

In practice this only affects framerates in games. No, your music won't play at 90% speed and word won't load at 90% speed. Programs you run in Windows will still work and your processor will be just as fast, just that The SiS 745's memory bus doesn't work as fast as the KT333's.

Just remember that you need a decent power supply for total system stability.

When you get the board, make sure you change Plug and Play OS to no. If you don't, certain hardware configurations won't load and windows won't boot. This is a BIOS issue with the Asus board. I don't know if the MSI 745 Ultra has this problem too. Also make sure your memory timings are not too aggressive (I keep mine at SPD for stability). If you do these three things...

1) Get a good PSU
2) Set Plug and Play OS to no
3) Set conservative memory timings (SPD)

...You will have the ultimate rock solid system. When I set my memory to 2T I had no crashes in Windows and seti@home ran faster, but one game kept crashing on me, Half-Life. It's funny, all the other games didn't crash, only Half-Life did. So I changed it back to 2.5T.

Let's hope Asus updates their BIOS. They have a beta 1.004 BIOS in testing for the A7S333, but it has absolutely no documentation so I didn't risk trying it.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Oh... aww crap. Hmmm... my guess was too high :tongue: .

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

eden

Champion
Hmm, I wouldn't say VIA has these instabilities anymore. It has become more FUD now than ever.
My KT266A has no stability problems, and from what I hear, the KT333 is even better. I don't know however if the A7S333 has Asus COP thermal protection though. And also has SiS gotten a new AMD chipset to let 333MHZ RAM support?

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?