Sign in with
Your question

WARCRAFT3 UNDER RADEON8500 CRASHING!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 9, 2002 9:26:54 PM

hey guys,
this thing has been killing me, and i am really beginning to hate this radeon 8500 of mine
i have the latest drivers: CATALYST 2.2 from the ATI website, tuned for stability they say....well guess what?
i don't think so
under warcraft3, the game crashes in less than a minute
under emperor battle for dune: the game crashes in 2 minutes
, but both run just fine with my older geforce2 MX 400
please i am getting frustrated here
my system at a glance: winXP, athlon1800+, asus A7M266 board, 256Megs DDR....
thanks
August 9, 2002 9:35:36 PM

I am going to be no help and tell you to get a geforce card
:smile:

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>
August 9, 2002 10:20:16 PM

Just stick with the Catalyst 2.1 drivers. I've made sure ATI is aware of the bugs in the 2.2 Catalyst drivers through about 2 dozen e-mails. :wink: Hopefully, they'll release a patch soon. All problems lie in one file in the driver package really.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
Related resources
August 10, 2002 2:46:16 AM

Could you provide us with that list of bugs?

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
August 10, 2002 3:01:43 AM

Just go to the Rage3D forums and search for Catalyst 2.2 bug list. I didn't start that thread or even post in it, but I've experienced quite a few of them. The most obvious one is the Spider Solitaire freeze because I play it often. :wink: I don't have the actual messages saved because I've sent them through their web site.

August 10, 2002 3:31:41 AM

Hey, thanks. Good enough.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
August 10, 2002 10:54:09 PM

i've made sure ATI is aware of the bugs too!!
i ahve installed the 2.1 as you told me,
the first time i played warcraft3 it went smoothly the first 10-15 minutes, and then it crashed.
what have i done to deserve this???? aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh
do you think rolling back to even older versions of drivers could help? which driver version was the most "stable" of them all???
August 11, 2002 12:21:23 AM

maybe try the pre-catalyst ones, but your problem seems strange.. i have a Hightech Radeon 8500 retail, and has the reference catalyst 2.2 installed, no crashing what so ever in warcraft3. u can try the pre-catalysr driver to see if it solves the problem or u can try the reference catalayst driver. and maybe u should reinstall directx 8.1 just 2make sure none of it's components are corrupted.
August 11, 2002 12:42:38 AM

What is your CPU and M/B temperatues? I discovered that my problem is most likely high temps. So, I'm upgrading to a full tower with 7 fans and a better CPU cooler. If that doesn't enable me to play WC III then I will switch video cards. My temps are: 56-58 (CPU) & 32-34 (M/B). :frown:

You know WC III is very graphic intensive, so since my temps are boarderline the game causes my temps to rise. Therfore, things become unstable and subject to lock-ups. Just something to consider, but maybe not a problem for you. I wish you luck in resolving you dileamma.

<font color=purple><b>Listen twice as much as you Speak. Better yet, Think twice. :wink: </font color=purple></b>
August 11, 2002 2:54:02 AM

i don't think it's temperatures...because when i switch the radeon with the geforce MX400 card, it works just fine, and for hours
i will try reinstalling directx 8.1, i'll let you know what happens
August 11, 2002 8:42:04 AM

Quote:
the first time i played warcraft3 it went smoothly the first 10-15 minutes, and then it crashed.
what have i done to deserve this????

Friendly troll

You bought an ati card.

/Friendly troll

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
August 11, 2002 12:15:25 PM

There's your problem! You're switching from nVidia to ATI with wiping your hard drive and reinstalling! nVidia and ATI drivers definitely don't get along together. Both suck at removing themselves and so they'll end up conflicting. No app as of yet is capable of making the transition 100% smooth without reformatting and reinstalling Windows. My own ATIMax only wipes out ATI drivers and still does a mediocre job of it at the moment. In any case, it's definitely not temps. That's how hot my Pentium4 is and it runs perfectly.

Quote:

Friendly troll

You bought an ati card.

/Friendly troll

That isn't helping. :wink:

August 11, 2002 12:15:29 PM

There's your problem! You're switching from nVidia to ATI without wiping your hard drive and reinstalling! nVidia and ATI drivers definitely don't get along together. Both suck at removing themselves and so they'll end up conflicting. No app as of yet is capable of making the transition 100% smooth without reformatting and reinstalling Windows. My own ATIMax only wipes out ATI drivers and still does a mediocre job of it at the moment. In any case, it's definitely not temps. That's how hot my Pentium4 is and it runs perfectly.

<b>Matisaro:</b>
Quote:

Friendly troll

You bought an ati card.

/Friendly troll

That isn't helping. :wink:

August 11, 2002 8:27:03 PM

????? wiping your hard drive and reinstalling??
i don't remove anything or reinstall anything, all i do is switch the cards..i don't need to reinstall the drivers for any, and besides the drivers for the e-geforceMX400 just came with the windows xp, i didn't even need to install it's own drivers(althought i did eventually).
August 11, 2002 9:48:27 PM

You're saying that each time you buy a card from another manu than the current, you must FORMAT AND INSTALL Windows again?
Why not reinstall only?

Also, isn't WinXP a bit better at handling the transitional stuff? I thought it could switch easily in fact, when compared to Win98.

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!
August 12, 2002 12:11:13 AM

Quote:
There's your problem! You're switching from nVidia to ATI without wiping your hard drive and reinstalling! nVidia and ATI drivers definitely don't get along together. Both suck at removing themselves and so they'll end up conflicting. No app as of yet is capable of making the transition 100% smooth without reformatting and reinstalling Windows. My own ATIMax only wipes out ATI drivers and still does a mediocre job of it at the moment. In any case, it's definitely not temps. That's how hot my Pentium4 is and it runs perfectly.

To point out something here, when you go to ati from an nvidia card, you have issues.

the reverse is NOT true, this therefore is a limitation of ati drivers imo.

that is all.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
August 12, 2002 3:31:25 AM

I might sound dumb, but maybe it could be due to Nvidia's more unique and enhanced UDA system, which isolates all the registry settings to one corner?

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!
!