Windows Genuine Advantage

http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Advantage-Program-Hacked-Criticized-for-Privacy-Breach.xhtml

I used Windows Update this morning and had to download the software. I think
I missed the offer in the above story.

"Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
US$450, "

Bob
21 answers Last reply
More about windows genuine advantage

    Just think, $450 of software for free! What is the value we all place on
    software that is secure and reliable, compared to Windows which continues to
    have all the holes of a ripe Swiss cheese? I hope that for Microsoft's own
    sake, they don't actually try to get people to pay the $450. That would start a
    mass migration to Linux and Tiger for sure.

    Imagine Microsoft having the balls to value its trash at $450!!! ... Ben Myers

    > Just think, $450 of software for free! What is the value we all place on
    > software that is secure and reliable, compared to Windows which continues
    > have all the holes of a ripe Swiss cheese? I hope that for Microsoft's
    > own
    > sake, they don't actually try to get people to pay the $450. That would
    > start a
    > mass migration to Linux and Tiger for sure.
    >
    > Imagine Microsoft having the balls to value its trash at $450!!! ... Ben
    > Myers

    I've got to find time to install the Vista/Longhorn beta 1 this week (it's a
    2.5gb image), and I feel sure it addresses *all* of your concerns ;-)

    Stew

    You sure know how to be masochistic, unless someone is paying you really good
    money to spend your time being a victim... Ben Myers

    > You sure know how to be masochistic, unless someone is paying you really
    > good
    > money to spend your time being a victim... Ben Myers

    LOL....

    Ben, not unlike the 3/04 Longhorn "preview", I just want to have a look at
    it ahead of time before I'm looking at it *a lot* when it breaks two years
    from now.

    I feel sure you understand.

    Mind you, I'm putting it on one of my secondary machines where I won't have
    to rely on it. In essence, I can blow it up at will.

    Stew

    > I've got to find time to install the Vista/Longhorn beta 1 this week (it's a
    > 2.5gb image), and I feel sure it addresses *all* of your concerns ;-)

    Are you on the official beta testers' list ? - i'm wondering how tight
    the shackles are in respect of making bugs / flaws / security issues
    public...

    Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >> I've got to find time to install the Vista/Longhorn beta 1 this week (it's a
    >> 2.5gb image), and I feel sure it addresses *all* of your concerns ;-)
    >
    >Are you on the official beta testers' list ? - i'm wondering how tight
    >the shackles are in respect of making bugs / flaws / security issues
    >public...

    AFAICT everyone on the MSDN is on the list (I have no interest, so
    haven't followed up), and I'm sure they don't care what people say is
    wrong with it, their response will be "We've always said it's a very
    limited Beta with none of the real functionality we told you was
    coming RSN in Longhorn, so have a nice life."

    "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> I've got to find time to install the Vista/Longhorn beta 1 this week
    >> (it's a
    >> 2.5gb image), and I feel sure it addresses *all* of your concerns ;-)
    >
    > Are you on the official beta testers' list ? - i'm wondering how tight
    > the shackles are in respect of making bugs / flaws / security issues
    > public...

    Nope, I am not. I'm not that sharp.

    I simply have access via MSDN......

    Stew

    I'd like to have some hands on, too. But with limited time on my hands and a
    need to generate revenue from the available time, I won't beta test Vista.

    A number of years ago, when I had a cushy consulting contract, I had the time
    and the motivation to beta test various and sundry Microsoft products. I always
    felt like I was being conned into white-washing Microsoft's fence, doing the
    work of problem isolation and reporting that the bastards ought to have done
    themselves before throwing half-baked products to an unsuspecting public. Sorry
    about the mixed metaphor there. I couldn't help but think about Mark Twain.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:39:16 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    >> You sure know how to be masochistic, unless someone is paying you really
    >> good
    >> money to spend your time being a victim... Ben Myers
    >>

    >LOL....
    >
    >Ben, not unlike the 3/04 Longhorn "preview", I just want to have a look at
    >it ahead of time before I'm looking at it *a lot* when it breaks two years
    >from now.
    >
    >I feel sure you understand.
    >
    >Mind you, I'm putting it on one of my secondary machines where I won't have
    >to rely on it. In essence, I can blow it up at will.
    >

    >Stew

    You want to bypass the check, and continue to get updates, even with a
    "non-approved" copy of WIndows XP??? Well, just do the following:

    Go through the update process, and allow all the "updates" to be installed.
    Now, in Internet Explorer, click on "tools", then "manage Add ons.
    Now, in the "Show" box, make sure it says "Add-ons that have been used by
    INternet Explorer"
    Then scroll down to "Windows Genuine Advantage"
    Now, here is the tricky part.................Just DISABLE it.!!!

    Yes, it is that simple to bypass!!!

    If you get a little pop-up that says an add-on is disabled, just ignore it.
    Now go and get all those updates that you so need to stay safe.

    "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/7GGPe6LpGYaRJc/Windows-Advantage-Program-Hacked-Criticized-for-Privacy-Breach.xhtml
    >

    > I used Windows Update this morning and had to download the software. I
    > think I missed the offer in the above story.
    >
    > "Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
    > capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
    > US$450, "
    >
    > Bob

    All MSDN subscribers Operating Systems and above have access to Vista.
    But they are not Beta testers because of that.
    But some MSDN subscribers are also Beta testers.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "guess" <imnot@home.com> wrote in message
    > You want to bypass the check, and continue to get updates, even with a
    > "non-approved" copy of WIndows XP??? Well, just do the following:
    >
    > Go through the update process, and allow all the "updates" to be
    > installed.
    > Now, in Internet Explorer, click on "tools", then "manage Add ons.
    > Now, in the "Show" box, make sure it says "Add-ons that have been used by
    > INternet Explorer"
    > Then scroll down to "Windows Genuine Advantage"
    > Now, here is the tricky part.................Just DISABLE it.!!!
    >
    > Yes, it is that simple to bypass!!!
    >
    > If you get a little pop-up that says an add-on is disabled, just ignore
    > it. Now go and get all those updates that you so need to stay safe.

    Thanks for the tip. I am not worried about MS taking over my PC etc. I was
    just wondering about the $450.00 in software that I was going to be getting.
    LOL

    Everything legal here.

    Bob

    Patrick L. Parks wrote:

    <<snipped>>

    > My guess is that the false positives are no-where near 0.01%. I've yet
    > to have a machine fail and I work in a rather large organization. I
    > think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill here.
    >
    > If you have a legit copy of the OS, you are going to be fine. If you
    > got it illegally, got it from a conman or simply got it for far cheaper
    > than it usually costs, you are gonna have to bypass the system. This
    > procedure has been posted numerous times and is actually in this thread.
    > No big deal.

    The point being driven is that under this sort of arrangement,
    there should be zero-tolerance for any false-positives for those
    who have obtained the OS legally and cleanly. Nor should they be
    compelled to feel that they are criminals, having to bypass the
    system just like the miscreants who do. If you were the person
    who is not a pirate yet got short-shrifted by Microsoft, how
    would you really feel, especially when the person at the other
    end of the telephone simply remains unbelieving. It does become
    a big deal...first activation and now this.

    > If you don't like the fact that MS is doing this, you have a right to
    > not use the software. Just install something else (like Linux, OS2 and
    > be on your merry way).

    And I am certain this shall come to be. How many people still
    remember the migration from Intel Pentiums to AMD Athlons?

    Sparky Spartacus <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:
    >I have a legal copy of XP (included on my Dim 8400), but MS's software
    >was unable to validate it. It rejected the key I obtained with
    >MagicalJellybean as well as the key from the COA on the side of the case.

    And didn't it then ask you what kind of computer you had so it could
    hand you a valid key? IME they are being very liberal about
    validation, probably in order to avoid much bad publicity...

    William P. N. Smith wrote:

    > Sparky Spartacus <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a legal copy of XP (included on my Dim 8400), but MS's software
    >>was unable to validate it. It rejected the key I obtained with
    >>MagicalJellybean as well as the key from the COA on the side of the case.
    >

    > And didn't it then ask you what kind of computer you had so it could
    > hand you a valid key? IME they are being very liberal about
    > validation, probably in order to avoid much bad publicity...

    Nope

    > For now. The changes have not been implemented by Microsoft yet.
    Not quite sure what changes you are talking about. I started the thread
    because when I went to Windows Update the first thing I had to do was
    download the WGA software.

    My point in the original post was:

    "Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
    capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
    US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
    Windows Update"

    I am not sure if I got the $450.00 value. LOL

    Bob

    >> For now. The changes have not been implemented by Microsoft yet.
    > Not quite sure what changes you are talking about. I started the thread
    > because when I went to Windows Update the first thing I had to do was
    > download the WGA software.
    >
    > My point in the original post was:
    >
    > "Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
    > capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
    > US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
    > Windows Update"
    >
    > I am not sure if I got the $450.00 value. LOL
    >
    > Bob

    Sure you did! You got that much out of the Steve Ballmer "monkey boy" video
    alone!

    :)

    Stew

    RRR_News wrote:

    > Sparky Spartacus,
    > The problem that is that programs like Jelly Bean, that they may show the master COA that Dell uses at the factory to install the OS. Not the COA that MS has on record for Dell users, assigned to the individual machine. In addition if you reinstall XP with the Dell Restore Disk, and leave the CD in the PC during installation, you are not asked to "activate" the PC using the machine's COA, because of a BIOS verification process. Again the BIOS verification process uses the Dell factory/master COA, to tell XP, that the OS has been activated.
    >
    > I have tried the Jelly Bean software, it is not accurate. I tried it on my Dell Dimension 4600 with MS Works Suite 2002 installed, that I purchased through Dell. The Jelly Bean program gave inaccurate COA's for both the OS and Works Suite. It merged the keys, showing parts of the key for the Works Suite, for the OS, and some parts of the Works' key as part of the OS's key.
    >
    > Belarc Advisor, works much better. But remember unless you manually performed the activation process, in the installation process. It will show the master Dell COA for the key for XP.

    1. I did reinstall XP (more than once, HDD problems when the computer
    was new)

    2. note that I tried the key from the COA on the side of the tower &
    that failed as well.

    Visited Win Update a couple of days ago and it validated my copy of XP
    without my typing anything. Maybe it was a MS glitch?

    S.Lewis wrote:

    > "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>For now. The changes have not been implemented by Microsoft yet.
    >>
    >>Not quite sure what changes you are talking about. I started the thread
    >>because when I went to Windows Update the first thing I had to do was
    >>download the WGA software.
    >>
    >>My point in the original post was:
    >>
    >>"Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
    >>capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
    >>US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
    >>Windows Update"
    >>
    >>I am not sure if I got the $450.00 value. LOL
    >>
    >>Bob
    >>

    > Sure you did! You got that much out of the Steve Ballmer "monkey boy" video
    > alone!

    But that predates XP by quite a bit, doesn't it?

    "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
    > S.Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> "Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

    >>>Not quite sure what changes you are talking about. I started the thread
    >>>because when I went to Windows Update the first thing I had to do was
    >>>download the WGA software.
    >>>
    >>>My point in the original post was:
    >>>
    >>>"Microsoft, which entices users to the new software by offering enhanced
    >>>capabilities and software improvements valued by the software giant at
    >>>US$450, said the WGA validation would be required for all customers using
    >>>Windows Update"
    >>>
    >>>I am not sure if I got the $450.00 value. LOL
    >>>
    >>>Bob
    >>>

    >> Sure you did! You got that much out of the Steve Ballmer "monkey boy"
    >> video alone!
    >
    > But that predates XP by quite a bit, doesn't it?

    What? Now we want accuracy and truth?

    Stew

    S.Lewis wrote:
    > "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>S.Lewis wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Leanin' Cedar" <Nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message

    >>>Sure you did! You got that much out of the Steve Ballmer "monkey boy"
    >>>video alone!
    >>
    >>But that predates XP by quite a bit, doesn't it?
    >
    > What? Now we want accuracy and truth?

    Oh, no, no, nothing that radical! It's just that I'm coming up a couple
    of bucks short of my $450 from MS.

    > Oh, no, no, nothing that radical! It's just that I'm coming up a couple of
    > bucks short of my $450 from MS.

    Me thinks the $450.00 would be a good tax write off for MS. Think of the
    numbers of downloads, and they "gave at no charge" $450.00 worth of software
    and improvements to each machine.
    Nothing like a little cooking of the books to the help the bottom line. This
    is better than actually selling software.
    Each critical update could now be written off.

    Bob

Dell Download Software Windows Update Microsoft Computers