Latest MS Patches Cause Black Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorc25

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
of course they submitted the problem and solution to Microsoft...microsoft doesnt give much of an option with its error reporting

G

Oh no! I've got he Blue Screen of Death! Oh, wait that's my screen saver, I don't use MS Windows ;-)

G

Now I know why the Action Center has given me an error message twice since Thanksgiving.

I've got UAC disabled on my system seeing as it's basically useless anyhow (8 out of 10 pieces of Malware can bypass it).

When I check out the error message, it tells me that Windows Defender has a couple of files which it needs to submit for analysis. Both files are from the newest Avast! Program update (after Avast! has been updated) and there is no option to ignore the files. The only thing you can do is to uncheck the files and cancel.

After the second time, I went into the Control Panel, then opened Windows Defender > Tools > Options > Excluded files and folders after which I proceeded to add the directories for Avast!, SpyBot-S&D, MalwareByte's AntiMalware and PrevX.

I haven't had any more error messages since.

But now that I have seen this article, the first thing I did was call a few people and warn them about this issue.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I'm not sure whats worse, MS Black and Blue Screens of Death, Linux Kernel panic.... panic!!! or Sad Mac Face.

Software developers abuse holes in a OS and when they get patched blame the OS.

G

[citation][nom]Cushgod[/nom]Why use avast and Win Defender... pointless.[/citation]
Windows Defender is automatically installed in Windows 7.

You have to go to the Control Panel to even realize that it is there. At least in Vista they gave us a choice, or did they take that away from us with the latest service pack?

As for Avast! it's a Damned good AV program and I'll trust any of my systems to it.

thenetavenger

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I think this story would have more bite if it was an actual problem with the update or Windows. The problem is a 3rd party application 'injecting' itself into the OS in areas it has no business being.

This is why Microsoft created a robust API set for virus, spyware, and firewall applications to use instead of injecting or nesting themselves in areas of the OS that cause problems (like this) and also slow down the system.

Norton and McAfee fought about Vista because Microsoft forbid them from injecting into the OS in unstable layers, and sadly Microsoft gave in to them and this is why you find security products degrading performance and causing compatibility problems, especially less known products that don't get the same levels of testing and depend on ACLs they have no business relying on or modifying.

Even on XP there are basic Firewall and some virus and spyware API sets that were added to the OS with SP2 and SP3, that these applications should be using.

When you install a product like Norton (for example) and it stuffs services that monitor all I/O or injects itself into the network stack it is going to cause more problems with compatibility and performance than it is ever going to 'help' the user.

(Especially when these are subscription based products that when they expire stop updating yet keep filtering network traffic causing problems for users to even send out email as port 25 is hijacked by Norton at the network level.)

Stick to MSE and the built in Defender, or at the very least, check that the product you are using is conforming to using the 3rd party API sets the OS provides instead of bypassing them and changing system security.

There are a few good 3rd party anti-virus/security products that conform to the OS provided API sets and by nature they will also be more compatible and faster than other solutions that do not.

wolftux

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I'm thankful I haven't had any issues, but I, too, procrastinated like crazy due to the holiday. Sometimes it's good to be a little behind.

I've got to agree with "thenetavenger", however. I know all too well what poorly-written security software can do to a computer. Oddly, it's typically the store-bought, well-known "security suites" that do the most damamge. I've been running Avast! for years on XP, Vista, and Win7 machines with no problems whatsoever. Just goes to show that sometimes the best products aren't backed by large companies, but by a small group of people who really care about what they're doing.

G

The Avast! Program update that Windows Defender had a problem with was Build 4.8.1368

Didn't get the error message 'till about a day or so after the Avast! update and it was with only two files belonging to the program.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Off topic: I might as well add a +1 to Avast!, It's been my AV of choice for over 5 years.

On topic: If only I had a dollar for every update that screwed me over...

mooglinux

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
The update totally screwed me over. First applications would all freeze at the same time. reboot, again after a short time everything would freeze. Reboot again and now i got a black screen. nothing else.

Great.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Busine$$ as usual, m$ style...
Maybe the next step in expanding more into AV space? Competitors solutions starting not to work anymore is one of micro$uxx' hallmarks, in boosting own products.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
Because I have to protect my MS OS's with non-MS apps I have learned over the years to let MS updates simmer for awhile (like other commenters) in the open market before I even bother trying them. On the other hand, updates from my spyware, firewall and AV apps get updated immediately -- that is, until they screw something up too.

We learn to trust some companies and others we learn to just not. Sorry MS but you've earned your way into the latter group for me over the years and you'll have to earn your way out over years too. I'm just human.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]phil_harmonic[/nom]Oh no! I've got he Blue Screen of Death! Oh, wait that's my screen saver, I don't use MS Windows ;-)[/citation]
LOL Ubuntu here, you got flamed by the all the 14 year old MS fan boys on this site or possibly on the payroll MS trolls.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Hmm, no problems so far here on any of my systems. One Win7 system, one Vista, and a couple XP systems and all running Avast.

Still, something to watch for.

mqz4

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
can anyone tell me which update is causing all the problems?

I have the following update in the queue
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.71.346.0)

My last update was on the 24th November.

Status
Not open for further replies.