Sign in with
Your question

intel extreme graphics question...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2002 11:36:04 AM

Hi people :)  I want to ask you about the new graphic chipset that come with the new intel 845G chipset.... How it scores? Better that a Voodoo3 or a tnt2 or even a geforce2 mx card?
Thanx :) 
August 10, 2002 12:47:47 PM

"Intel Extreme Graphics" perform worse than a GF2MX200. That's probably in Voodoo3 territory.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
August 10, 2002 2:17:04 PM

Hmmm... 3D Mark scores with a P4 2.26B and DDR RAM, it scores ~1700 IIRC.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2002 10:30:54 AM

OK, the TNT2 performed better than the MX200, but worse than the MX400. I think the Intel integrated graphics are in the MX200 performance class.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>
August 11, 2002 2:49:05 PM

It has no Hardware T&L Engine. Although performance is equalvent to GF2 MX200, lack of Hardware T&L Engine means that if a game needs Hardware T&L Engine, you would not be able to run the game.
August 11, 2002 5:03:20 PM

You sure about that? I thought it was like the MX series, when there was pixel shaders needed, the CPU had to do the extra work or something. Just makes it real slow.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 11, 2002 9:50:17 PM

No, you got it wrong a bit. Pixel Shaders is a unique to DX8 cards only feature. Because it and only it can create the new graphics. Any card however can run Vertex Shader games, just slow depending on the CPU.

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!
August 11, 2002 10:48:29 PM

Oh... :tongue:

August 12, 2002 3:33:51 AM

Ironically, I think you were the one who taught me this!!!

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!
August 12, 2002 12:52:31 PM

You sure about that :tongue: . So can I play a game like Commanche4 with a DX7 card? Wouldn't it just be slow cause the CPU would have to fill in the stuff the gfx card can't? Or is it just something like, it omits those features, so it'd be faster?

August 12, 2002 7:49:36 PM

I thought Commanche was very Pixel Shader intensive, since the water effect is another impressive thing.
Besides, the friggin programmers made the game CPU intensive, yet the graphics don't feel like they hog the card's performance...
I personally don't know the tech behind that game and how much Vertex and Pixel shading they used, all I know is the CPU intensiveness makes it a very stupid move by the programmers, because the GFX are not THAT much impressive IMO.

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?
!