intel extreme graphics question... :)

soki

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
Hi people :) I want to ask you about the new graphic chipset that come with the new intel 845G chipset.... How it scores? Better that a Voodoo3 or a tnt2 or even a geforce2 mx card?
Thanx :)

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hmmm... 3D Mark scores with a P4 2.26B and DDR RAM, it scores ~1700 IIRC.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, the TNT2 performed better than the MX200, but worse than the MX400. I think the Intel integrated graphics are in the MX200 performance class.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had asked more questions first!</font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
It has no Hardware T&L Engine. Although performance is equalvent to GF2 MX200, lack of Hardware T&L Engine means that if a game needs Hardware T&L Engine, you would not be able to run the game.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
You sure about that? I thought it was like the MX series, when there was pixel shaders needed, the CPU had to do the extra work or something. Just makes it real slow.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>

eden

Champion
No, you got it wrong a bit. Pixel Shaders is a unique to DX8 cards only feature. Because it and only it can create the new graphics. Any card however can run Vertex Shader games, just slow depending on the CPU.

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
You sure about that :tongue: . So can I play a game like Commanche4 with a DX7 card? Wouldn't it just be slow cause the CPU would have to fill in the stuff the gfx card can't? Or is it just something like, it omits those features, so it'd be faster?

eden

Champion
I thought Commanche was very Pixel Shader intensive, since the water effect is another impressive thing.
Besides, the friggin programmers made the game CPU intensive, yet the graphics don't feel like they hog the card's performance...
I personally don't know the tech behind that game and how much Vertex and Pixel shading they used, all I know is the CPU intensiveness makes it a very stupid move by the programmers, because the GFX are not THAT much impressive IMO.

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?