Best 2D quality?

MidiGuy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm looking for a graphics card for a computer that I'm building for a non-gamer friend. I want to get the best 2D image quality that I can. I prefer nVidia, but people have been saying that they don't have the best 2D quality. When I asked this at Anandtech.com, they were leaning toward ATI, with one or two mentions of Matrox. I just did a search on these forums, and the responses there were leaning toward Matrox.

So here's what I want to know - does anyone know for a fact that there's a difference in 2D quality between the various chipsets in the last year? And if so, who's best? I would prefer information from people who have seen this with their own eyes, comparing on the same monitor if possible, rather than people just repeating what they've heard (no offense). :D

Thanks!

-Midi

llewelyn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
I replaced a nvidia card with a matrox g550 recently leading to a massive improvement in picture quality. to get good results you need a top monitor and cable plus clean electrical connections.
a german hardware site measured the signal quality of around fifty cards; the g550 was the best closely followed by the Radeon 8500 from Hercules(www.tecchannel.de).

never mind the quality feel the bandwith

MidiGuy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for sharing your experience! Would you mind telling me what kind of nVidia card you had?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by midiguy on 08/10/02 08:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MidiGuy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So, you went from a very OLD nVidia to a more current Matrox? I guess I'm wanting to compare cards from the same generation but different companies. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. :D

EDIT: I don't suppose there's an English version of that article? :D Maybe I can get it translated...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by midiguy on 08/10/02 08:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Went from a Geforce2 to a Radeon 8500. Huge improvement in visual quality. I had even removed the RFI filtering from the Geforce2 for visual improvement but the 8500 is still much better. It was obvious even at only 1024x768 resolution.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Okay here's the deal. The G550's 2D display actually is about the same quality as the Radeon 8500, GF4 Ti series, etc.

The absolute best 2D is going to be the Matrox Parhelia. Most users report that simply upon installing the card their desktop wallpaper is much brighter and cleaner. It also has 2D anti-aliasing for text to make TEXT easier to read! It also has the best signal quality of any card in the world and the best RAMDAC for high resolutions. Plus it has triple monitor support if you multitask like crazy or are a stockbroker or just a very busy person. The Parhelia can display up to 1 billion colors in 2D, as opposed to other cards' max of 16 million!

For the best in 2D don't look any further than a Parhelia. Everyone is wondering, well where's the 3d performance? There is none. The Parhelia, I've discovered, was built almost completely around 2D, and it shows. Upon installing it in an old system you'll find your entire computer is easier to read and is easier on your eyes too. No more blurriness. It's akin to getting a brand new monitor.

You can get an OEM Parhelia 128MB for $332 at newegg right now including shipping.

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=48&manufactory=1291&DEPA=1" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=48&manufactory=1291&DEPA=1</A>

As always, my warning: Matrox has the worst driver support in the world. You thought ATi was bad? Well at least they <i>release</i> new drivers. If you are a Win98/95/me user you have 0 (zero) driver support for the Parhelia.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you actually try the different Graphic card? Some of nVidia graphic card have very bad image quality because some the graphic card manufacturer use low quality component. I think Matrox have great driver support. I still can use my G200 with Windows XP but some of my ATI cards htat I brought about the same time do not even have driver for Windows 2000.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
want REALLY good 2D Quality AND TV-OUT with REALLY good qulaity aswell as still eb able to play the odd game?
I recomend the GF4 MX 440 or 460.....DEFINENTLY better 2D than any GF3 card....and the TV-OUT is REAL good....cheap price too for these cards...so yea...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
No I am referring to signal quality, which can be measured in sine waves.

WinXP compatibility seems to be OK, but Win98 compatiblity is almost nonexistant. Right now you are relegated to using the default 1.0 drivers. If he's only doing 2D he's fine but with 3D he will be disappointed if he's using a dos-based OS.

I'm so enthusiastic because no one ever asks for 2D quality, ever. Everything is 3D these days.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET