Need help with problem with Geforce 3 Ti500

thewhitewolfe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
I am using the VisionTek Xtasy Geforce 3 Ti500, and have noticed a bit of a problem. I noticed it today while inspecting my computer to find the 3 pin connector for the case fan. The fan on the card will intermittently slow down quite noticeably. I was told by a friend that this was not supposed to happen. It happened a couple times when I started up the system, and sometimes it ran fine. I noticed it once before on my older computer. Is this normal, or is it a problem with the card? If anyone has seen or heard anything about this kind of thing happening please let me know...I am a little concerned...a few of my games, notably Morrowind, MaxPayne, and Warcraft III seem to randomly freeze up, and I am wondering if perhaps the card's fan is cutting out and causing an overheat that leads to the lock up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...system info is as follows:
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
ECS L7VMM Motherboard
512MB PC2100 DDR RAM
Soundblaster PCI 512
Geforce 3 Ti500
Maxtor 80gig Hard Drive

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
sounds like it's defitnitly an overheating problem. get the fan replaced, you should be able to unscrew it and maybe order some better fan to stick on top, the fan is most likely a 40x40 fan, so order something similar but maybe a bit faster, say 5400 RPM +

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
ECS motherboards have a need for high quality power supplys. If you don't have one, it's probably the motherboard's fault. Try getting a 4 pin converter and use that, it may help =)

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"