Wireless in a marina

Todd

I am looking to set up a wireless hotspot in a marina so that the marina
clientel have internet connectivity while on their boats at the dock, in the
lounge area, etc. I am looking into dropping a T1 or so to carry the
connection. I would also need some kind of user authentication
(username/password) so only the marina clientel can log on.

Anyone have any experience with any hardware that would suit these needs? My
main concern is in finding a WAP (outdoor) with good range, reliability, and
authentication capability (and of course price).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Todd

Todd:

Give Sputnik a try; they have a fairly decent outdoor AP that can be fitted
with a 3rd party antenna. Their backend user authentication is also very
easy to use on both ends. Check out www.sputnik.com. You could also look
to Smartbridges, www.smartbridges.com, and use a custom captive portal
system with NoCat - www.nocat.net.

-Nate

"Todd" <leupi@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am looking to set up a wireless hotspot in a marina so that the marina
> clientel have internet connectivity while on their boats at the dock, in
the
> lounge area, etc. I am looking into dropping a T1 or so to carry the
> connection. I would also need some kind of user authentication
> (username/password) so only the marina clientel can log on.
>
> Anyone have any experience with any hardware that would suit these needs?
My
> main concern is in finding a WAP (outdoor) with good range, reliability,
and
> authentication capability (and of course price).
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
>
> Todd

Todd <leupi@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am looking to set up a wireless hotspot in a marina so that the marina

If you're in San Diego, it has already been pretty heavily covered ;-)

Other than that, DirecWay offers a satellite WISP in a box that uses a
marina as their presentation.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U609542B6
< http://www.direcway.com/default.asp?CurrentPath=direcway/enterprise/access/wi-fi/introduction.htm >

Do you want this to be free, or paid?
If paid, you might just go with a service like Boingo, and let them handle
all of the accounting. http://www.boingo.com

Or stayonline, who would do all of the work, and then it's yours, free or
pay. http://www.stayonline.net

--
---

"Todd" <leupi@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am looking to set up a wireless hotspot in a marina so that the marina
> clientel have internet connectivity while on their boats at the dock, in
the
> lounge area, etc. I am looking into dropping a T1 or so to carry the
> connection. I would also need some kind of user authentication
> (username/password) so only the marina clientel can log on.
>
> Anyone have any experience with any hardware that would suit these needs?
My
> main concern is in finding a WAP (outdoor) with good range, reliability,
and
> authentication capability (and of course price).
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
>
> Todd

I just finished doing this at the marina where I own a slip. Total 170
slips.

Contact me off line for more info.

Bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

---