Sign in with
Your question

Video card update on an older machine?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2002 2:56:21 AM

I'm considering upgrading the video card on my PIII/800 MHz machine (384 MB RAM). Currently have an ATI Radeon 32 DDR and I'd like to get something with higher performance. But, I don't want to spend money for a card that's going to be limited by my processor. Folks I've talked to have suggested that a GeForce3 Ti 200 would be a good match that wouldn't suffer too much from the slower processor. Any suggestions or recommendations?
August 12, 2002 5:58:26 AM

Hello? Anyone? Any ideas?
August 12, 2002 9:03:16 AM

Mate,

go for the geforce 3 Ti 200, I just did and I am happy.

Saved some money over the MX 460 but I have a faster card which overclocks OK. Special features rule the graphics card market now Geforce 3 Ti will suit a slow processor more than geforce 4 MX cos it has a a more powerful geometry chip that will take care of more business and let your Pentium 3 take a break even though it could still kick some arse if it has too! (that was a long sentence).

Take care.
Related resources
August 12, 2002 1:00:01 PM

How much have you got? The Ti200 may be good and all, but at newegg.com, there's a R8500 OEM, sold under the name R8500LE OEM. It comes with 3.3ns RAM and is only ~$90USD. Of course this only works if you're in the US. It'd whoop the Ti200 easy.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 12, 2002 1:31:28 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. From what I've heard, both the GF3 Ti 200 and the ATI 8500 would be good deals. Anybody have a comment on which is better? The GF3 is typically much more expensive, but the benchmarks seem to show that the 8500 performs better, so why would I want to spend the extra on a GF3? Comments/opinions?
August 12, 2002 2:00:11 PM

I'd say the ATi 8500 is as good a deal as you're going to find. It won't be too limited by your CPU performance and prices are good because of the release of ATI's newer cards.

You'll also get great 2D performance and hardware DVD decoding. And ATi have finally improved their drivers.

:eek:  Wingding - The Forum's Official Bottom Feeder :eek: 
!