Graphics shot to bits!

DaftMule

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
Your thoughts on the following would be much appreciated because I'm starting to think the worst...

My computer has been crashing quite a lot recently, usually when playing Neverwinter Nights (great game btw!). This has often locked my computer up completely and I wasn't too worried as I know there are some problems with game stability for some people.

Anyway, whilst playing the game at the weekend my pc started to crash out as soon as I did anything during the game like press [Esc] to exit or save the game. Once it had crashed, I had to re-start the computer and during the re-start it was looking very ill as follows:

1) From the start of the POST, some of the lettering on the screen was discoloured (looked like 4 evenly spaced red stripes down through the letters, running virtically down the screen.

2)As the start up continued and it went to the Win 98 splash screen, there were 4 thin parallel double lines (black) running down the screen.

3) As startup continued and it went through the DOS type screens, I was treated to a series of white vertical dotted lines down through the screens.

4) Eventually it gets to the black screen just before the desktop appears and that's it. No more....the desktop doesn't come up

5) If I leave the computer for 20 minutes or so, it starts up fine and I can get back into any game but if I play for a few minutes and then go out and re-start my computer, I get the problem detailed above.

My thought is that this is a problem with overheating which may have now fried my poor graphics card! On thinking about it, my computer has been running hot since I got the gForce 4 Ti 4600. It's an Athlon box (see config below) and has always run fairly hot (60C). I'm wondering if having the GF4 sat in the AGP slot just below the main CPU heatsink has just overheated my graphics card which generates a lot of heat itself? This would certainly explain the ability to re-start once everything had cooled down. I currently have to run with the side off my box to keep the CPU temp to below 65C when under load and it's still having these problems!

The only other thing I can think is that my mobo is fritzed! But, if that was so, I'd think it wouldn't start up at any point...

Any ideas?
512 mb 2100 DDR
gForce 4 Ti 4600
SB Live Value 1024 Soundcard

BSOD? I know it well!

It does sound like you could have a cooling issue. However the first thing I would do is re-install the drivers for the graphics card, as they may have become corrupted.

After this I'd take a look at your options regarding CPU, GPU and case cooling. The Ti4600 runs quite hot so you might want to consider fitting a good HSF on it. You didn't mention the brand so I can't comment on the existing HSF.

:eek: Wingding - The Forum's Official Bottom Feeder :eek:

DaftMule

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
Cheers Wingding...

FYI, it's a Creative Balster Titanium 4600. It has a pretty chunky HS and Fan on it already. I have an Overclockers tower case with 2 case fans (one at front sucking in, one at top/back above PSU blowing out). There's also the PSU fan of course + a chunky coolmaster heatsink and fan on the CPU + the fan on the mobo chipset.

I've tried re-installing the drivers etc as I do seem to be able to get in to Windows in Safe Mode. Didn't solve the prob though! I have re-seated the graphics card and also tried alternating my 2 X 256mb DDR RAM memory sticks just in case it was one of those (having had one blow a few weeks ago!)

Seems it is definitely down to the GPU and overheating.

<hr/>
<b>Alas poor <font color="blue">B</font>SOD? I know it well!</b>
<hr/>

The 20 minute re-start does suggest a cooling issue. I'm not a big fan of Creative graphics, and a good HSF on your card would do no harm. I am a bit surprised that your system is so hot - you've got good components but I'd expect something closer to 50-55 degrees.

If you haven't tried it already, re-install your monitor and drivers, and check display setting (refresh rates in particular).

OK here are some questions (pardon me if they're a bit obvious):

Do you have PCI cards seated close to your graphics card?
Have you re-installed your O/S?
Have you tried the graphics card in another PC?
Did any particular event precipitate the now regular crashing of your PC?

Bloody computers - you think you have them cracked, then they turn around and kick you in the ass......

DaftMule

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
Haven't re-installed the monitor drivers, but then I didn't get any specific ones with my CTX monitor. I doubt very much that it's that though.

<Do you have PCI cards seated close to your graphics card?>
Only my sound card which sits below the GPU but I have left one spare PCI slot empty between it and the AGP to allow for room for airflow to the GPU HS.

<Have you re-installed your O/S?>
Nope, not yet but that may be a next step :-( Damn I hate having to do that!!

<Have you tried the graphics card in another PC?>
Gonna take it over to a friends house tonight. He has virtually the same CPU/Mobo combination so it should be interesting.

<Did any particular event precipitate the now regular crashing of your PC?>
Not particularly, although my PC has always had a bit of a problem with Neverwinter Nights. Lots of niggly little probs and lock-ups with the game but nothing quite this drastic! Seems to happen irrespective of what I am doing on the PC now though...obviously as it heats up.

Putting 2 and 2 together in retrospect though, my PC has been running a lot hotter since getting my GF4. Should have maybe seen this coming! I may have to invest in an Aluminium case in an attempt to get the temp down...or just buy a P4 and new mobo! Blasted expense though and other people must have the same setup without these probs!!

<b>Alas poor <font color="blue">B</font>SOD? I know it well!</b>

OK. I think it is an overheating issue but keep as open mind as to where it's coming from, it might be your graphics card but it might be your overall system.

A good case is always worth the investment. Plan it from scratch and make sure you get one of the newer quiet PSU's, unless of course you want my 450W, which sounds like an F-16's afterburner.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I had a similar problem with my overclocked Athlon system.

Never a big gamer until I downloaded America's Army which in my opinion is the best visual FPS game out there.

This stretched the limits of my Radeon 7200 so I went and got a 8500LE, and double my frame rates but was getting mysterious lockups after about 1-2hours of playing.

I hopped into my bios after one of those reboots after remembering that I had my Voltage on my 400mhz overclock at 1.75 (T-Bird "C"). So I upped it to 1.85 and havn't had a problem since.

So my question is this, is your CPU overclocked? And is the voltage on the CPU stock? Maybe your just pushing the temp on your cpu a bit. I dunno, just a thought.

A nice Geforce shouldn't have those kinda problems.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

DaftMule

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2002
Nope...not overclocked. Blasted thing would probably go up in a puff of smoke if I did...lol

I think the vcore is 1.72 but could be wrong. I do know it's correct for the CPU as it was one of the things I checked when I started to notice my CPU temp climbing up. BTW, they say the Athlon 1333 safe temp range goes up to a core temp of 95C!! Trouble is the sensor is just below the core on the Athlon chip so you have to add about 10 - 15c onto the temp your BIOS reads to get the actual core temp of the CPU. Seems very high to me.

Wonder if I've got the ole sig right below this time!

<edit>Ahha...it's right at last!</edit>

<b>Alas poor <font color=blue>B</font color=blue>SOD? I know it well!</b>