Black screen right after BIOS

wil19558

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
So I built my new rig about 2 months ago with Windows 7, everything was running fine for the first month.

Then one day I needed to restart my computer for a windows update to complete ( I always put it on sleep mode, never completely shut down). When it rebooted, I saw all of the bios information and then, black screen. No windows logo or loading, it just froze there. I tryed restauring windows 7 with the installation CD, It didn't find any problems.

I then started disconnecting some hardware and found out that when my DVD drive is not connected, Windows boots up fine.
To solve this problem, I then connected it back in and booted in safe mode. At the safe mode loading screen, windows 7 freezes at "disk.sys".

Here are my specs:

Motherboard :Asus P6X58D-E
CPU : Intel i7 930 (D0 revision)
GPU : Nvidia GTX 470
RAM : 2x 4gb OCZ Reaper 1066 mHz
DVD drive : Asus DRW-24B1ST
HDD : Western digital caviar black 1TB

I'm pretty sure this is a windows 7 driver issue, as the problem appeared after a windows update and that every other drive I tested in my system cause this black screen.

If any of you have an answer, or need additionnal informations, please let me know.

P.S : It's been two weeks since I have been actively searching for an answer, posting on this forum is the last resort.

P.P.S : I can use my drive, but I need to connect it after windows starts and detect it with the device manager. However, It does not seem to be able to start any application that needs the DVD in order to start (i.e: GTA 4).

wil19558

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Boot into windows, and connect your DVD drive. Then delete the upper and lower filters using this guide.

I had already done this, again, sorry not to have mention it, I have tryed so many things over the last few weeks.

Then run this Fixit scan.

It finds that there is a problem with the DVD drive, however none of the potential problems are detected.

Edit : In the Fixit utility description of my drive, it says that it is an "amd64 architecture", don't know if that is a problem as my CPU is Intel. Just saying.

wil19558

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
When you say, you tried to restore windows, did you do a repair (shown below)?

Yes I did.

In the BIOS, there is usually an option to halt the BIOS on errors. Try disabling that option. Also, make sure the hard drive is the first boot device.
I could not find any of those but The bios clearly finishes, as I can boot in safe mode and see that windows freezes at disk.sys (or at the next file in the list(?) )

It is a SATA DVD drive, right?

Was the hard drive the first boot device? It's usually found under advanced boot options or boot priority (all BIOSs are a little different). Also, try disabling the other boot devices. This should force the PC to boot off the hard drive, even with a DVD drive connected. This is more geared to the fact that you got a blank black screen when booting with the DVD drive connected.

wil19558

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
The DVD drive is detected as an "ATA" device by windows, and my HDD is set to first boot ever since I built the rig, which was before the problem started happening, but I'll try disabling any other boot devices.

Edit: Tried disabling all device except the Hard drive, No luck.

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Since you pretty much went thru everything from software side, including repairing did you check the cabling for hardware errors? Can you change anything related to your problem in bios?
Did you check which updates you had installed thru win update? might be that. Remove the updates you had since you have the problem.

wil19558

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Just tried a different sata data cable in a different port with a different Sata power connector, still the same problem.
Hardware side : Everything is brand new and any working DVD drive I stuck in there still does the same. I'd say it's a windows driver problem, especially since it happened after a windows update. I'm wondering why it just didn't disapeared after restoring before the update. Windows Fixit finds a problem but can't repair it. Windows installation CD startup repair does not find any problems. What are we missing ?

G

i'm having exactly same problem as wil. i'm just about to reformat but haven't tried the fixit scan, will try tonight.

i think it's a windows software issue because i've:

1, put a different harddrive in pc; windows7 boots normally with dvd drive connected (and detected/installed)

2, bought a brand new dvd drive and plugged that in without the other dvd drive in and windows still does not boot

i thought it might've been nero or daemontools (especially) because they might've screwed up the drives but after uninstalling them it hasn't fixed anything...unless it corrupted a system file so badly i need a reformat to get everything normal again =/

Motherboard :Asus P55 D LE
CPU : Intel i5 750
GPU : ATI HD 5770
RAM : 2x 4gb Kingston
DVD drive : LG
HDD : Western digital caviar black 1TB

o/s: win7

wil19558

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Fixit finds something wrong with the drive, but doesn't know what is causing it.
And Deamon tools might just be the source of our problem. Maybe having virtual drives up when windows updated jacked up the drivers. How should I procede to reverse the driver's update ?

And for the printer : I don't have any.

Easy on the language

G

i dn even no if its daemon tools....i think i MAY hav a virus? i'm not sure. computer randomly starts becoming slow ..cpu and physical memory dont change but things just take ages to open etc

what happens when u open device manager ? any yellow exclamation marks?

wil19558

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Just uninstalled deamon tools and waited for a windows update. no luck. also tryed repairing the startup with the installation cd without deamon tools, no luck either.

noobAnswer

Honorable
May 13, 2013
All noobs Answer. IT is your graphic card gpu. I have the same problem. But what did to make it run for a short while till my rma arrive.

Step 1. Unplug the graphic card
Step 2. Power it up ( Once you hear the beep )
Step 3. Power it up down and power it up again, it will post again.

I try everything like you remove all my component one by one, all working fine. Till i plug back in the graphic card. IT is your graphic card gpu problem.

wil19558

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Alright so the reply made me remember about this thread, I guess I'll post the solution I found 2 years ago for anyone coming across this post.

My D:\ drive (the one that says "reservé au syteme" in french which roughly translate to "reserved for system use" ) got deleted for some reason. I re-ran windows 7 installation DVD to find errors and he found one when I ran it without the DVD drive connected in. He simply took 100mb from another partition and recreated the D:\ drive. Everything went fine afterwards.