Dimension XPS T600 & memory

I'm assuming the largest per slot memory stick that the XPS T600 can handle
is a 256mb PC100~133 stick? I have sevearl 64MB sticks here that work great
in it, but a Micron 512mb stick doesn't allow the system to boot.

Thoughts?

Brad

"B. Walker" <bawalkerREMOVE@THISmodemnet.net> wrote in message
> I'm assuming the largest per slot memory stick that the XPS T600 can
> handle is a 256mb PC100~133 stick? I have sevearl 64MB sticks here that
> work great in it, but a Micron 512mb stick doesn't allow the system to
> boot.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Brad

768mb total (3 x 256mb PC100).

So far as I know, PC133 does not and will not work.

Stew

Stew,

Thats weird because I have a little 64mb PC133 stick that I stuck in it that
worked (mislabled mabey?) but thanks for the information. I had a feeling I
might have been over the memory per stick limit.

Brad

> Stew,
>
> Thats weird because I have a little 64mb PC133 stick that I stuck in it
> that worked (mislabled mabey?) but thanks for the information. I had a
> feeling I might have been over the memory per stick limit.
>
> Brad

It's a matter of high density versus low density RAM. The machine can only
use low-density. Generally, you'll be safe if you stick to PC100.

I've not gotten any PC133 (probably high density) to work in those systems.

Stew

the confusion comes from the fact that some pc133 memory is 'high density'
and some is not. high density modules use fewer chips that are capable of
storing more memory, but your older pc is not capable of recognizing them
correctly... so some pc133 modules will work, but they have to be of the
low density type. generally, if you see a 256mb pc133 module with chips on
only one side then it is high density and will not work, but if it has chips
on both sides it may very well work. no 512mb module will work in this
system. as stew said, 3 x 256mb = 768mb system maximum.