The 'Ultimate' all-around merc... :)

Hello,

[Second time posting this, if you see this twice, my apologies]

I've been posting about Merc's and their equipment semi-regularly the last
several months, maybe even more than a year, always looking for people's
opinions on merc type and gear. Keep in mind the following merc setup is a
Might merc, which accompanies a Skelliemancier with an army of 13
skeletons and 6 mages, and a Clay Golem. This is my main MF character, and
I use this Skelliemancier for some change of pace between levelling other
chars.

My aim is to have a merc which is more or less an all-rounder; I know some
people view a merc as a support character at best for a Skelliemancer,
only there to provide an aura (or two, or three, if you're rich), but I
disagree with this. It has been my observation the merc is paramount in
getting that first body (to start the CE chain-explosions), and also to
put down the big bosses using Crushing Blow mostly. However, CB is notall,
the merc also need high physical damage, to finish that ~1/3rd last part
of the life bar of the bosses, and of course to deal big physical damage
to regular monsters. Also, life leech is very important for a merc,
because it has also been my observation mercs without life-leech (or a low
amount) die a lot.

If you're still here after all the text I wrote above, I have the feeling
I'm slowly getting there, with getting a merc which may not excel at a
specific part, but which is very durable, and helpful.

OK, the merc and his equipment:

Lvl92 Might Merc
Helm..: Guillaume's Face (clean)
Armor.: Duress ethereal Wire fleece
Weapon: Upgraded ethereal Hone Sundan, socketed with Amn-Amn-Shael

He deals about 2000-4500 physical damage when the Might aura is activated.
He has 95% CB. 14%LL from the Hone Sundan. Resists are about 70+ all in
Hell.

The only thing he dies to is (of course) IM from Oblivion Knights, and
sometimes, very rarely, a heavy crossfire of Gloam lightning streams
and/or those red balls shot by the flying witch type monsters in
Worldstone keep. He's also the one who lowers Hell baal's life bar with
big jumps when hitting him, for those first ~2/3rd, and is still a nice
help for the last part.

I've been looking around for different equipment, and haven't really ran
into anything which could improve him more. To give some examples, I'll go
through each of the 3 slots:

Helm:

In my opinion, I need Crushing Blow, to kill those bosses. Guillaume's
Face is about the only helm that provides that. It also has Deadly Strike,
FHR and some other mods. I could of course equip a helm which has
res-all/life/maybe some life leech, but I'd loose the CB.

Option left: socket the Guillaume's with something nice, but the only
options which would gain me something are all very expensive (and
unaffordable by me): Cham, for Cannot Be Frozen, would be very nice. Ber,
for some extra Damage Reduce would also be nice. Maybe some of the runes
below that, to raise the maximum resists by 5% _could_ help, though I'm
not sure how much that would help. Also, since he hasn't maxed his resists
in Hell yet, upping his maxed resists isn't goin to help, yet.

So, Helm, I know of no alternative.

Armour:

Duress adds another 15% CB, _40%_ FHR, 15% res-all and a jump to Cold
Resist (just the jump he needs to get close to max in Hell), and some
other nice mods. Especially the 40% FHR, combined with Guillaume's Face,
makes him much less vulnerable, even if he his hit: he resumes jabbing,
and regains any life he lost quite quickly again.

I see no real alternative. A double-upgraded Rattlecage could be an
option, but it also has monster flee, and I don't want that mod.
Rattlecage also lacks the gravy of Duress (FHR, resists, etc).

Weapon:

He used a perfect (320%ED) ethereal Bonehew before this, and while the raw
physical damage of that polearm is a bit higher than that of an ethereal
Ghost Spear, it's the 45% CB, and the three sockets (Amn-Amn-Shael, to get
nice LL and hit the next speed breakpoint) which make it the best
all-around polearm in my opinion.

Alternatives could be: Obedience polearm, great damage, 40% CB (getting me
to 90% CB total), but, _NO_ Life-leech on the polearm. So I'd have to swap
something else out to still get LL. LL is, in my opinion, very important
on a merc if you want a durable one, and one you don't have to baby around
a lot. Infinity polearm also looks very cool, but is not only out of my
reach price-wise, it also has no life leech again. The Conviction aura
would be 'interesting', but if it keeps the merc alive: I doubt it.
(Reason: I played a quick round of MF together with a Sorceress
yesterday-evening, whose merc was carring an Infinity polearm: the merc
was constantly dying while my merc was still stabbing away, and probably
even more into the action than my merc was.) So, no option.

Ethereal unique elite polearms would be nice, but they either lack CB, or
have a Chance to Cast stuff like Decrepify, etc which would override my
own curses: not nice! Finally some of the 1.10 runewords could be nice
(Doom, Hand of Justice, Eternity), but they are both very expensive, and
lack LL/CB, or a combination thereoff).

Thank you for reading this far.

The only question I have left, unless someone provides me with an
improvement to my setup, is: what do i socket the Guillaume's Face with?
Since I don't have any of the high runes needed for CBF or 8%DR, the
things I thought about:

PRuby: Just add some life to make him that bit more durable
Ort : Add 30% lightning resist, since Gloams lightning streams are his
biggest enemy. Will also keep res higher when Convicted...
Shael: Add some more FHR, but I probably need to hit a breakpoint? Which?
Dol : Replenish life +7, hmmm?
Fal : More str = more damage (PAmethyst would be cheaper one for this)
Lem : More gold when merc kills something, hmm, useless?
Um : Max those resists!
Ist : For that extra bit of MF when and if the merc is the one dealing
the killing blow to one of the big bosses. Sounds tempting.

I do have one Gul, and one Vex, but am not going to use it in the merc's
helmet.

So, your opinions please? :)

Regards,

Patrick.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:31:05 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> [snip]
>
> Weapon:
>
> He used a perfect (320%ED) ethereal Bonehew before this, and while the raw
> physical damage of that polearm is a bit higher than that of an ethereal
> Ghost Spear, it's the 45% CB, and the three sockets (Amn-Amn-Shael, to get
> nice LL and hit the next speed breakpoint) which make it the best
> all-around polearm in my opinion.
>
> Alternatives could be: Obedience polearm, great damage, 40% CB (getting me
> to 90% CB total), but, _NO_ Life-leech on the polearm. So I'd have to swap
> something else out to still get LL. LL is, in my opinion, very important
> on a merc if you want a durable one, and one you don't have to baby around
> a lot. Infinity polearm also looks very cool, but is not only out of my
> reach price-wise, it also has no life leech again. The Conviction aura
> would be 'interesting', but if it keeps the merc alive: I doubt it.
> (Reason: I played a quick round of MF together with a Sorceress
> yesterday-evening, whose merc was carring an Infinity polearm: the merc
> was constantly dying while my merc was still stabbing away, and probably
> even more into the action than my merc was.) So, no option.
>
> Ethereal unique elite polearms would be nice, but they either lack CB, or
> have a Chance to Cast stuff like Decrepify, etc which would override my
> own curses: not nice! Finally some of the 1.10 runewords could be nice
> (Doom, Hand of Justice, Eternity), but they are both very expensive, and
> lack LL/CB, or a combination thereoff).

My hcl level 90 necro's merc use obedience in a giant thresher.
and that is doing a good job, he has no life leech after i took away his
amn+amn+shael hone, but i haven't died a single time and the times i
given him a healing pot can be counted in one hand.

> Thank you for reading this far.
>
> The only question I have left, unless someone provides me with an
> improvement to my setup, is: what do i socket the Guillaume's Face with?
> Since I don't have any of the high runes needed for CBF or 8%DR, the
> things I thought about:
>
> PRuby: Just add some life to make him that bit more durable Ort : Add 30%
> lightning resist, since Gloams lightning streams are his
> biggest enemy. Will also keep res higher when Convicted...
> Shael: Add some more FHR, but I probably need to hit a breakpoint? Which?
> Dol : Replenish life +7, hmmm?
> Fal : More str = more damage (PAmethyst would be cheaper one for this)
> Lem : More gold when merc kills something, hmm, useless? Um : Max those
> resists!
> Ist : For that extra bit of MF when and if the merc is the one dealing
> the killing blow to one of the big bosses. Sounds tempting.

Since i use my necro for primary mf my merc uses skulder's with ptopas as
armor, and if you should choose to socket anything in Guillaume it would
be either a ptopaz or ist.

With CB from Guillaume and obedience he still takes down baal within a
couple of minutes without help from anything else than decrep and clay
golem.

--
Sonni

In article <pan.2005.03.03.14.03.57.559113@sonni.org>,
Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:31:05 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
>> Hello,

[more snippage]

>My hcl level 90 necro's merc use obedience in a giant thresher.
>and that is doing a good job, he has no life leech after i took away his
>amn+amn+shael hone, but i haven't died a single time and the times i
>given him a healing pot can be counted in one hand.

I'm still on the lookout for a nice 5 socket ethereal polearm, and since
Obedience is so cheap, I'll probably make one. I'll certainly see how it
works on my necro's merc instead of the upgraded Hone Sundan.

>Since i use my necro for primary mf my merc uses skulder's with ptopas as
>armor, and if you should choose to socket anything in Guillaume it would
>be either a ptopaz or ist.

Looking at my necro's 'function' that's what I'd probably do. But I want
to be really sure this is the way to go, before I plop in an Ist. :)

>With CB from Guillaume and obedience he still takes down baal within a
>couple of minutes without help from anything else than decrep and clay
>golem.

Well, my lvl 92 necro with the equipment mentioned above (and switch to AD
once the Clay Golem has hit Baal once and slowed him down), takes Baal
down in about 20 seconds max.

Regards,

Patrick.

Hi,

Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in

> OK, the merc and his equipment:
>
> Lvl92 Might Merc
> Helm..: Guillaume's Face (clean)
> Armor.: Duress ethereal Wire fleece
> Weapon: Upgraded ethereal Hone Sundan, socketed with Amn-Amn-Shael
>
> He deals about 2000-4500 physical damage when the Might aura is
> activated. He has 95% CB. 14%LL from the Hone Sundan. Resists are
> about 70+ all in Hell.

as you are talking about an "all-around" merc, I'll digress a little and
talk about my non-necro mercs.
Basically, when my char and merc reach appropriate levels, I'll just mule
over (ATMA) my standard merc setup:

- Delirium helmet (level 51)
- Duriel's Shell (upgraded and socketed, L63)
- Reaper's Toll (level 75, before Hone Sundan)

Delirium and Reaper's seem to contradict each other, but as the Decrep has
a much smaller reach than Delirium's curses, it just works perfectly.
Monsters in melee range are decrep'ed and those farther away in terror or
confused. And if the Decrep is overwritten, it mostly is a matter of 1-2
seconds until it's active again.
This works even better when you use an Holy Freeze merc. Slowed and
Decrep'ed monsters, can you say kill fest?

If you're playing a ranged char, you can put the Delirium helmet on him.
He'll only morph very rarely, as he won't get hit too often.

For boss runs, you could substitue Hone for Reaper's, but I wouldn't go all
out on Crushing Blow, at least when your char has some. After some good
hits with CB, diminishing returns set in and damage gets more important
than CB.

Oh, well, and I'm only talking about solo play offline. Party games could
change this setup considerably..

Regards,

Oliver

In article <d07i3r$89d$05$1@news.t-online.com>,
Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>>
>as you are talking about an "all-around" merc, I'll digress a little and
>talk about my non-necro mercs.
>Basically, when my char and merc reach appropriate levels, I'll just mule
>over (ATMA) my standard merc setup:
>
> - Delirium helmet (level 51)
> - Duriel's Shell (upgraded and socketed, L63)
> - Reaper's Toll (level 75, before Hone Sundan)
>
>Delirium and Reaper's seem to contradict each other, but as the Decrep has
>a much smaller reach than Delirium's curses, it just works perfectly.
>Monsters in melee range are decrep'ed and those farther away in terror or
>confused. And if the Decrep is overwritten, it mostly is a matter of 1-2
>seconds until it's active again.
>This works even better when you use an Holy Freeze merc. Slowed and
>Decrep'ed monsters, can you say kill fest?

It certainly sounds interesting, though it misses the CB, which by now
must be clear is something I like it lot. This is however probably one of
the best 'crowd control' mercs for a non-necro char. I have one Reaper's
Toll stored on a mule, but due to it's level requirements, none of my
other mercs can wield it. :)

If crowd control is your business, this is probably it!

One thing I did notice is that the Might aura of my Necro's merc is
influenced by the +skills on his gear: when I equipped an Andariel's
Visage, I noticed the damage of the necro, when using his wand in 'melee'
mode, went up a bit.

How much influence would this jump have on the damage the skellies do?

>If you're playing a ranged char, you can put the Delirium helmet on him.
>He'll only morph very rarely, as he won't get hit too often.
>
>For boss runs, you could substitue Hone for Reaper's, but I wouldn't go all
>out on Crushing Blow, at least when your char has some. After some good
>hits with CB, diminishing returns set in and damage gets more important
>than CB.

I know about the diminishing returns on CB, but the nice thing about 95%
CB is that it deals a boatload of damage if the merc hits something with
a lot of life, and also works on bosses. Like I said at another point in
this thread: with the current setup, Hell Baal goes down in about 20
seconds max.

>Oh, well, and I'm only talking about solo play offline. Party games could
>change this setup considerably..

Well, CB presumably still works then, while monster life is going up due
to the multiple players. So this merc would then still be quite useful.

But if pure crowd control was my objective, your setup sounds very good
of course. With a necro however, I don't need crowd control, I need a
body, ASAP, to start the CE fireworks. :)

Thanks for your input, I'll maybe put a setup like this together; I have
the basic ingredients for it. :)

> In article <d07i3r$89d$05$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:

>> - Delirium helmet (level 51)
>> - Duriel's Shell (upgraded and socketed, L63)
>> - Reaper's Toll (level 75, before Hone Sundan)
>>
>>This works even better when you use an Holy Freeze merc. Slowed and
>>Decrep'ed monsters, can you say kill fest?
>
> It certainly sounds interesting, though it misses the CB, which by now
> must be clear is something I like it lot. This is however probably one
> of the best 'crowd control' mercs for a non-necro char. I have one
> Reaper's Toll stored on a mule, but due to it's level requirements,
> none of my other mercs can wield it. :)

as I said, this merc setup is for melee chars - I wouldn't use it on my
necro, either..

Still, 95% CB seems a little bit wasted against normal Hell monsters. I had
seen a Crushing Blow calculater somewhere, but don't have the link anymore.

> One thing I did notice is that the Might aura of my Necro's merc is
> influenced by the +skills on his gear: when I equipped an Andariel's
> Visage, I noticed the damage of the necro, when using his wand in
> 'melee' mode, went up a bit.

+all skill items increase the might aura. Leve 85 merc has a level 25 might
aura, with +2 all this is level 27 = 300%ED. 300%ED nearly doubled my
pallys damage with normal attack - so I guess around that would be the
damage increase for the skellies. Each skill level adds about 10% the the
aura.

Regards,

Oliver

In article <d08mft$m42$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>
>> It certainly sounds interesting, though it misses the CB, which by now
>> must be clear is something I like it lot. This is however probably one
>> of the best 'crowd control' mercs for a non-necro char. I have one
>> Reaper's Toll stored on a mule, but due to it's level requirements,
>> none of my other mercs can wield it. :)
>
>as I said, this merc setup is for melee chars - I wouldn't use it on my
>necro, either..

My only melee char at the moment is a 'baby' IK Barb, who is lvl50 and
somewhere halfway Act 3 NM. This might be 'the' setup for him, but he
needs quite a few levels before I can mule over the end-game gear for his
merc.

>Still, 95% CB seems a little bit wasted against normal Hell monsters. I had
>seen a Crushing Blow calculater somewhere, but don't have the link anymore.

What calulator would this be then? AFAIK, CB takes away 1/3rd of the
(remaining) life of a monster. If the regular damage of the weapon is
something like 3000, the monster has 7000 life (not uncommon, I think, in
1 player Hell games), this would leave monster with either 1666 life (CB
first, then regular dmg), or 2666 life (first regular dmg, then CB). I
have no idea which is valid.

It's of course wonderful against the monsters which are the really
dangerous: uniques, champions & co, and the super-uniques. You want those
monsters, and their aura's (if they have one) removed from the battlefield
ASAP. CB does that, which is why I think it cannot be high enough (keeping
in mind the 95% cap ;).

>> One thing I did notice is that the Might aura of my Necro's merc is
>> influenced by the +skills on his gear: when I equipped an Andariel's
>> Visage, I noticed the damage of the necro, when using his wand in
>> 'melee' mode, went up a bit.
>
>+all skill items increase the might aura. Leve 85 merc has a level 25 might
>aura, with +2 all this is level 27 = 300%ED. 300%ED nearly doubled my
>pallys damage with normal attack - so I guess around that would be the
>damage increase for the skellies. Each skill level adds about 10% the the
>aura.

Aha. Well, probably not something I'd swap the Guillaume's Face for, and
if I got my merc a +skill helmet, I'd use a Shako due to his MF function.

Still, interesting fact to keep in mind.

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <pan.2005.03.04.10.38.23.9303@sonni.org>,
Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:50:38 +0000, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
>> Actually, that could well be the big difference! Because of the big level
>> difference between the merc and Baal, most of the To-Hit chance is
>> dictated by that same difference. Two levels less, makes a bunch of
>> difference.
>
>Well it's gonna take some time before i hit the 92 points, it takes lots
>and lots of solo baalruns to get there:)

Yeah, and it's goin slower and slower. It was quite a moment when my MF
necro (who does a lot of Baal runs) went fron 91 to 92. I don't think
he'll ever hit 93 actually, but we'll see...

>> Since I don't have an Obedience polearm, I can't check the performance
>> of that versus an upped ethereal Hone Sundan, but if you still have your
>> upped hone sundan, I'd be very curious as to his performance with that?
>
>Well that story will start with something like this: " I'm sorry to inform
>you that your son is dead because he was stupid....".
>It went to valhalla when my avenger bite the dust when finding a bosspack
>of dolls in nm :)

Heh, another reason I don't play HC, combined with the massive lag-spikes
I sometimes hit on B.Net. Anyhow, it's up to me then, I sincerely hope I
run into a nice, ethereal, 5 socket polearm soon, so I can finally make an
Obedience polearm, and will then of course compare it's performance to the
ethereal upgraded Hone Sundan.

Big problem with that one is it's ridiculously high dex requirement. Even
my lvl 92 merc barely reaches it, and that's because the ethereal version
of a Ghost Spear needs 10 less dex than the regular one.

You probably equipped a +dex item to be able to equip it at a level
earlier than ~90?

Regards,

Patrick.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:12:25 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.03.04.10.38.23.9303@sonni.org>, Sonni Skammelsen
> <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>>[snip]
>
>>> Since I don't have an Obedience polearm, I can't check the performance
>>> of that versus an upped ethereal Hone Sundan, but if you still have
>>> your upped hone sundan, I'd be very curious as to his performance with
>>> that?
>>
>>Well that story will start with something like this: " I'm sorry to
>>inform you that your son is dead because he was stupid....". It went to
>>valhalla when my avenger bite the dust when finding a bosspack of dolls
>>in nm :)
>
> Heh, another reason I don't play HC, combined with the massive lag-spikes
> I sometimes hit on B.Net. Anyhow, it's up to me then, I sincerely hope I
> run into a nice, ethereal, 5 socket polearm soon, so I can finally make an
> Obedience polearm, and will then of course compare it's performance to the
> ethereal upgraded Hone Sundan.

I like the "rush" on hc, and it hasn't been to cruel to me :)
If i count my looses this season its 3 paladins, 1 sorc, 1 druid and 1
barb.

> Big problem with that one is it's ridiculously high dex requirement. Even
> my lvl 92 merc barely reaches it, and that's because the ethereal version
> of a Ghost Spear needs 10 less dex than the regular one.
>
> You probably equipped a +dex item to be able to equip it at a level
> earlier than ~90?

I din't even realize that, but that's maybe because i used atmas wail
which gives +15 dex so the merc can use a non eth from around level 85,
and i didn't find the skullder's he use now before after i switched to
obedience.

--
Sonni

In article <pan.2005.03.04.12.43.35.828011@sonni.org>,
Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:12:25 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
>> Heh, another reason I don't play HC, combined with the massive lag-spikes
>> I sometimes hit on B.Net. Anyhow, it's up to me then, I sincerely hope I
>> run into a nice, ethereal, 5 socket polearm soon, so I can finally make an
>> Obedience polearm, and will then of course compare it's performance to the
>> ethereal upgraded Hone Sundan.
>
>I like the "rush" on hc, and it hasn't been to cruel to me :)
>If i count my looses this season its 3 paladins, 1 sorc, 1 druid and 1
>barb.

I'm not condemning it, I think it's very 'brave' to play HC, but I've
simply had too many moments where a short period of massive lag killed my
character (monsters completely descynced between my local D2 and the
server, and them effectively teleporting on top of me), that I know I
won't like it when a character gets killed that way.

Besides that, I like to 'rush on', to see how far I get, while I think
HC-play will instill some kind of 'fear' in me, which will make me much
more careful. My real life is HC, a game should be SC. :)

All IMHO of course. And let's not start yet another SC vs HC war, both
have their cons/pros.

>> Big problem with that one is it's ridiculously high dex requirement. Even
>> my lvl 92 merc barely reaches it, and that's because the ethereal version
>> of a Ghost Spear needs 10 less dex than the regular one.
>>
>> You probably equipped a +dex item to be able to equip it at a level
>> earlier than ~90?
>
>I din't even realize that, but that's maybe because i used atmas wail
>which gives +15 dex so the merc can use a non eth from around level 85,
>and i didn't find the skullder's he use now before after i switched to
>obedience.

I checked and double checked the Dex requirements on several ethereal
items vs their normal counterparts before I spent the runes on the upgrade
of the ethereal one. And I'm quite sure that I will never upgrade a
non-ethereal one, because of the excessive Dex demands, and the impact
that will have on my equipment.

Though a PEmerald in helm/armour might fix this temporarily of course.

Regards,

Patrick.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:23:47 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.03.04.12.43.35.828011@sonni.org>, Sonni Skammelsen
> <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:12:25 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>>
>>> Heh, another reason I don't play HC, combined with the massive
>>> lag-spikes I sometimes hit on B.Net. Anyhow, it's up to me then, I
>>> sincerely hope I run into a nice, ethereal, 5 socket polearm soon, so I
>>> can finally make an Obedience polearm, and will then of course compare
>>> it's performance to the ethereal upgraded Hone Sundan.
>>
>>I like the "rush" on hc, and it hasn't been to cruel to me :) If i count
>>my looses this season its 3 paladins, 1 sorc, 1 druid and 1 barb.
>
> I'm not condemning it, I think it's very 'brave' to play HC, but I've
> simply had too many moments where a short period of massive lag killed my
> character (monsters completely descynced between my local D2 and the
> server, and them effectively teleporting on top of me), that I know I
> won't like it when a character gets killed that way.
>
> Besides that, I like to 'rush on', to see how far I get, while I think
> HC-play will instill some kind of 'fear' in me, which will make me much
> more careful. My real life is HC, a game should be SC. :)
>
> All IMHO of course. And let's not start yet another SC vs HC war, both
> have their cons/pros.

So was mine :)
And it wasn't my intention to do so, sorry if you felt that way:)
I use most of my rd time to play SP SC:)
This subject closed i guess :)

>>> Big problem with that one is it's ridiculously high dex requirement.
>>> Even my lvl 92 merc barely reaches it, and that's because the ethereal
>>> version of a Ghost Spear needs 10 less dex than the regular one.
>>>
>>> You probably equipped a +dex item to be able to equip it at a level
>>> earlier than ~90?
>>
>>I din't even realize that, but that's maybe because i used atmas wail
>>which gives +15 dex so the merc can use a non eth from around level 85,
>>and i didn't find the skullder's he use now before after i switched to
>>obedience.
>
> I checked and double checked the Dex requirements on several ethereal
> items vs their normal counterparts before I spent the runes on the upgrade
> of the ethereal one. And I'm quite sure that I will never upgrade a
> non-ethereal one, because of the excessive Dex demands, and the impact
> that will have on my equipment.
>
> Though a PEmerald in helm/armour might fix this temporarily of course.

Well i'm just a stupid player, i don't care much about wasting rune on non
eth weapon for merc, the obedience my merc uses now is also a non eth
giant tresher.
Mostly because i depend on the CB and iirc CB damage is the same no matter
how high the damage is on the weapon, it's 1/8 of monsters life and that
is a lot more then the damage with the high lige bosses.

--
Sonni

In article <pan.2005.03.04.14.21.55.306345@sonni.org>,
Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:23:47 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
>So was mine :)
>And it wasn't my intention to do so, sorry if you felt that way:)
>I use most of my rd time to play SP SC:)
>This subject closed i guess :)

No offense at all, so no sorry necessary. :)

Yeah, let's close this part. ;)

>> I checked and double checked the Dex requirements on several ethereal
>> items vs their normal counterparts before I spent the runes on the upgrade
>> of the ethereal one. And I'm quite sure that I will never upgrade a
>> non-ethereal one, because of the excessive Dex demands, and the impact
>> that will have on my equipment.
>>
>> Though a PEmerald in helm/armour might fix this temporarily of course.
>
>Well i'm just a stupid player, i don't care much about wasting rune on non
>eth weapon for merc, the obedience my merc uses now is also a non eth
>giant tresher.

Perhaps I should just grab the first 5 socket polearm I run into, and make
a quick & dirty Obedience (Hel + Ko + Thul + Eth + Fal). I'm not exactly
swimming in the 'higher' runes in Obedience (I cube them up whenever I
have 4 of them), but I won't feel it that much.

>Mostly because i depend on the CB and iirc CB damage is the same no matter
>how high the damage is on the weapon, it's 1/8 of monsters life and that
>is a lot more then the damage with the high lige bosses.

Ah, yes, 1/8th, not 1/3rd, stupid me giving misinformation in another part
of this thread. :(

Anyhow, like I tried to explain in my original article, I wanted the merc
to be an all-rounder. And to be able to kill monsters effectively, and
have good LL, he needs a weapon that does a considerable amount of
'regular' physical damage. I.e., something ethereal, of the elite-class,
and with a decent amount of ED.

I did try a regular non-ethereal non-upgrade Hone Sundan for a while
instead of the ethereal 320%ED Bonehew for a while, but, subjectively, it
felt he was performing less good than with the Bonehew. Probably because
he dealt a lot less damage to regular monsters, was leeching less life
because of that, and therefore a lot more vulnerable to a good hit or two
from one of the badder monsters.

And that's why I was very curious when I managed to try me an ethereal
Hone Sundan, with even a respectable roll of the ED on it. Non-upgraded it
was performing quite nicely, but still not upto Bonehew-class for normal
monsters. But, after upgrading, I wouldn't go back. Bonehew still does
more 'regular' damage, the CB is what makes Bosskills quicker.

You do have to mow through a bunch of nasty boss-packs before you can CB
Baal to death, and especially pack 3-5 can spawn with quite nasty mods,
which could easily overwhelm the merc.

For now, the only alternative I'd like to try is Obedience, and if that
performs as good as, or better, than the eth/upgraded Hone Sundan, this
means that an Infinity polearm will probably work even better (same amount
of CB, around the same amount of ED possible and of course the conviction
aura which not only reduces pure defense of the monsters, making them more
vulnerable to the skellies, but will also reducde their resists, which
will make them more vulnerable to the CE-fire part).

The tricky part is how much influence the other difference of these
runewords have on the merc's performance. So much to check, so little
time, and so little runes to spare. :)

Regards,

Patrick.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:52:59 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.03.04.14.21.55.306345@sonni.org>, Sonni Skammelsen
> <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>>[snipped and forgotten]
>
>>> I checked and double checked the Dex requirements on several ethereal
>>> items vs their normal counterparts before I spent the runes on the
>>> upgrade of the ethereal one. And I'm quite sure that I will never
>>> upgrade a non-ethereal one, because of the excessive Dex demands, and
>>> the impact that will have on my equipment.
>>>
>>> Though a PEmerald in helm/armour might fix this temporarily of course.
>>
>>Well i'm just a stupid player, i don't care much about wasting rune on
>>non eth weapon for merc, the obedience my merc uses now is also a non eth
>>giant tresher.
>
> Perhaps I should just grab the first 5 socket polearm I run into, and make
> a quick & dirty Obedience (Hel + Ko + Thul + Eth + Fal). I'm not exactly
> swimming in the 'higher' runes in Obedience (I cube them up whenever I
> have 4 of them), but I won't feel it that much.

I have to admit i've been laying for a long period of time in this thread,
my obedience is not in a giant thresher but only thresher, i the base
weapon avg. damage is 0.5 less.

>>Mostly because i depend on the CB and iirc CB damage is the same no
>>matter how high the damage is on the weapon, it's 1/8 of monsters life
>>and that is a lot more then the damage with the high lige bosses.
>
> Ah, yes, 1/8th, not 1/3rd, stupid me giving misinformation in another part
> of this thread. :(

You are not the only one that done that i just found out :)

> Anyhow, like I tried to explain in my original article, I wanted the merc
> to be an all-rounder. And to be able to kill monsters effectively, and
> have good LL, he needs a weapon that does a considerable amount of
> 'regular' physical damage. I.e., something ethereal, of the elite-class,
> and with a decent amount of ED.
>
> I did try a regular non-ethereal non-upgrade Hone Sundan for a while
> instead of the ethereal 320%ED Bonehew for a while, but, subjectively, it
> felt he was performing less good than with the Bonehew. Probably because
> he dealt a lot less damage to regular monsters, was leeching less life
> because of that, and therefore a lot more vulnerable to a good hit or two
> from one of the badder monsters.
>
> And that's why I was very curious when I managed to try me an ethereal
> Hone Sundan, with even a respectable roll of the ED on it. Non-upgraded it
> was performing quite nicely, but still not upto Bonehew-class for normal
> monsters. But, after upgrading, I wouldn't go back. Bonehew still does
> more 'regular' damage, the CB is what makes Bosskills quicker.
>
> You do have to mow through a bunch of nasty boss-packs before you can CB
> Baal to death, and especially pack 3-5 can spawn with quite nasty mods,
> which could easily overwhelm the merc.
>
> For now, the only alternative I'd like to try is Obedience, and if that
> performs as good as, or better, than the eth/upgraded Hone Sundan, this
> means that an Infinity polearm will probably work even better (same amount
> of CB, around the same amount of ED possible and of course the conviction
> aura which not only reduces pure defense of the monsters, making them more
> vulnerable to the skellies, but will also reducde their resists, which
> will make them more vulnerable to the CE-fire part).

Damage is always tricky to figure out.
but a perfect eth hone gets 250% ED + 40 damage
obedience gets 370% ED
ghost spear has 86,5
thresher has 76.5 as avg damage
so normal damage should be around
hone 442
obedience 359

So hone wins that part
but then obedience gives level 21 enchant and thresher is faster than
ghost spear so maybe he hits more often and faster, i don't know:)

You need ot test i think :)

> The tricky part is how much influence the other difference of these
> runewords have on the merc's performance. So much to check, so little
> time, and so little runes to spare. :)

Runes runes runes, maybe we can get H. Brunner to get us some runes :)

--
Sonnji

In article <pan.2005.03.04.16.03.38.468140@sonni.org>,
Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:52:59 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I should just grab the first 5 socket polearm I run into, and make
>> a quick & dirty Obedience (Hel + Ko + Thul + Eth + Fal). I'm not exactly
>> swimming in the 'higher' runes in Obedience (I cube them up whenever I
>> have 4 of them), but I won't feel it that much.
>>

>I have to admit i've been laying for a long period of time in this thread,
>my obedience is not in a giant thresher but only thresher, i the base
>weapon avg. damage is 0.5 less.

;) I don't think that's a problem, and the nice thing about a Thresher is
that you can give it to Larzuk, confident it will get the right amount of
sockets. :)

>> Ah, yes, 1/8th, not 1/3rd, stupid me giving misinformation in another part
>> of this thread. :(
>
>You are not the only one that done that i just found out :)

Well, I was overestimating the effiency of CB a teeny weeny little bit.
Regardless, 1/8th (or probably even less, because he's an end-of-level
boss) of Hell Baal is still significant!

[big snip

>Damage is always tricky to figure out.
>but a perfect eth hone gets 250% ED + 40 damage
>obedience gets 370% ED
>ghost spear has 86,5
>thresher has 76.5 as avg damage
>so normal damage should be around
>hone 442
>obedience 359
>
>So hone wins that part
>but then obedience gives level 21 enchant and thresher is faster than
>ghost spear so maybe he hits more often and faster, i don't know:)

I have no idea what the speed of a 1-Shaeled Ghost Spear vs an Obedienced
Thresher is, but I think the Thresher is faster. And, big issue for me,
until I can test it, Obedience has no leech. ;)

>You need ot test i think :)

Yup! And I will do that, hopefully sooner than later. :)

>> The tricky part is how much influence the other difference of these
>> runewords have on the merc's performance. So much to check, so little
>> time, and so little runes to spare. :)
>
>Runes runes runes, maybe we can get H. Brunner to get us some runes :)

Well, I'd be happy to borrow a Polearm with the right runeword, with a
personal guarantee it will be returned after my testing...

> In article <pan.2005.03.04.08.26.34.53833@sonni.org>,
> Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote:
>>Somebody have forgotten to tell that to my merc, he is doing it in
>>half the time with obedience of what he did with an upped Hone, and i
>>don't think it's becuase he is level 92 in stead of level 90 that
>>makes that difference.
>
> Actually, that could well be the big difference! Because of the big
> level difference between the merc and Baal, most of the To-Hit chance
> is dictated by that same difference. Two levels less, makes a bunch of
> difference.

I don't think so. The level part of the AR/chance-to-hit formula is:

2 * alvl /(alvl + dlvl) = 2 * 90 / (99 + 90)

and that is about 0.95 or 95% of your AR before this part. I don't think
about 5% should make too much of a difference.

OTOH, as I'm somewhat mathematically challenged, I might be completely
wron<g>..

Regards,

Oliver

In article <38s8vjF5rqj7rU2@individual.net>,
Bingain <bingain@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Sonni Skammelsen wrote:

>> Somebody have forgotten to tell that to my merc, he is doing it in half
>> the time with obedience of what he did with an upped Hone, and i don't
>> think it's becuase he is level 92 in stead of level 90 that makes that
>> difference.
>
>Besides level difference etc which you and Patrick have been
>discussing, there is also another factor, I believe.
>
>I have a +2 necro skill/teleport charges ammy on the necro. What I
>do is I teleport right on top of Baal. This makes a big difference,
>in my observation. Instead of fooling around, all minions will be
>hitting Baal the moment they land. Instead of finding a spot he can
>attack Baal, the merc will be able to hit Baal right from the
>beginning.
>
>This ammy costs me 100+ caster ammy crafting. But same (almost
>same) effect can be achieved by using a teleport weapon like NAJ's
>staff, Spellsteel axe, or Bing's Eternal-Stalking dagger. You may
>lose a revive/skelly, but the (own) crowd control and time saved
>(from minions fooling around) is well worth it, as well as the
>recharging gold. Of course, an Enigma will be even better.

Actually, this is yet another detail I, in my enthousiasm, forgot to
mention: I have a Naj's Puzzler on switch and indeed teleport onto Baal.

Costs me 2 skeletons, and 1 mage (because I swap out Arm of King Leoric
and Homunculus), but this is more than made up by the fact the entire
horde is on top of him, including the merc.

Of course, if the person reporting kill-times of 2 minutes up, goes to
Baal 'the long way', that might explain his time...

Regards, Patrick.

TRENDING THREADS