Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problems installing

Last response: in Windows 7
July 29, 2010 7:18:15 PM

So I got Windows 7 Home Premium OEM. I currently am running Windows XP home 32 bit OEM. I am trying to install windows 7 and it just aint happening. I think I am supposed to reformat my drive, but I cant figure out how. I have tried to boot from both the windows 7 and windows xp dvd disk. However my computer for some reason refuses to boot from my cd/dvd drive.

I go to the boot menu from my bios screen and my keyboard wont work so I cant scroll up and down the list, but if I go into my bios screen my keyboard works fine. In bios I set the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd option to boot for my cdrom drive but when it wants to go it asks me to hit any key, and I hit any and all keys but it doesnt register and just gos and boots xp normally.

I have no idea what to do now, short of just throwing in a new empty drive and installing windows 7 on that, honestly dont even know if that would work and would rather avoid that.

More about : problems installing

July 29, 2010 7:35:50 PM

OK, using the how to guide you linked, when I am in the computer management screen my C: drive isnt shown. Just my 2 other hard drives. Also I have tried to boot from my windows xp disc to reformat from there, but for some reason no matter what I try my computer is refusing to boot from cd. When I get to the screen saying "press any key to boot from cd.." no matter what I hit on my keyboard nothing registers to it doesnt boot from cd.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 29, 2010 7:49:03 PM

Is C: where xp was installed, or was it on one of the other 2 drives?
m
l
July 29, 2010 7:52:16 PM

C: is where windows is installed. Also I am thinking of getting a SSD. Can I just ditch my current windows drive, slap in the SSD and install windows 7 onto that?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 29, 2010 7:54:43 PM

MLecl0001 said:
Also I am thinking of getting a SSD. Can I just ditch my current windows drive, slap in the SSD and install windows 7 onto that?

yes
m
l
July 29, 2010 7:55:33 PM

jefe323 said:
yes

ok thanks. I am just going to do that. Thanks for your help.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 29, 2010 7:57:15 PM

np
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
July 29, 2010 8:09:24 PM

You dont need to format in windows, the reinstall process will allow you to format?

Is your keyboard USB, or PS/2?

If its USB make sure enable usb keyboard is on in bios, and make sure legacy usb is on.

If you \r keyboard aint working your gonna have a hell of a time installing it.
August 5, 2010 4:12:53 AM

Best answer selected by MLecl0001.
m
l
!