Sign in with
Your question

Visiontek = Dead card, bad customer service

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2002 5:27:51 PM

Based on articles I had read and the fact that Visiontek had produced the Nvidia 4600 reference cards tested by many reviewers, when it came time to replace my aging Asus 6800 DDR (geforce 1 DDR) I laid down the $400 for this top of the line card from Visiontek.
With wide eyed anticipation I went home and installed it in my newly upgraded system (Asus A7v333, AMD XP 2000+, 512 MB 2700 DDR Ram, 500 Watt PSU) 10 minutes after firing it up I was pulling it out and taking it back to the store where I bought it. This retailer has a 14 day return policy and when I got there they were closed so I had to go back the next morning for the replacement.
New card in hand and a little skepticle I installed the replacement, it posted, it ran I let it burn in for a day just to be on the safe side. Everything seemed fine, I ran 3d mark and it was smooth great frame rates good score etc...
I was a happy camper but very busy and unable to really use the card for the next week except for email and a few other internet related tasks. I did notice on 2d and text this card was much clearer than my old DDR card.
Then I had some time to myself and decided to run 3d mark again just to make sure everything was OK (this was 12 days after getting the original card) halfway through the first test in 3dmark I had a black screen. The system would not post on restart. Reinstalled the old card and it was working again.
So now I'm back to the store again on my last day for a replacement, returned back home installed and I'm up again. 3dmark worked but no time to play. System was fine for the next couple of days and I try to play unreal it dies again.
Now I'm out of luck to return it it's a weekend so I wait and call Visiontek and get an RMA number.

I send the card back via UPS red and wait for 2 weeks with no contact from Visiontek. Finally I called and told that they would check into my RMA and email me back. The email came a few hours later, telling me my board was defective and will be replaced (good news) but they are out of the card, it is on back order, and will be replaced when the recieve more cards.
I sent 3 emails back to them over the course of the next 2 days, all with no reply. I called and tried to speak with the tech support or customer service manager, neither were in so I left a message for them to call back, that was 5 hours ago and still no call.
I did get an email telling me that they were sending out replacement cards daily and that mine should be sent as soon as they can get to it.

Is this an isolated incedent? Am I expecting too much from a card that I only paid $400 for? Has anybody had a similar experience with Visiontek?

At this point I am totally Pi_ _ed off and wish I'd never even heard of Visiontek.
August 17, 2002 3:10:26 AM

Isolated or not they should replace the board as soon as they can or give you a refund. Keep us up to date...

Tom's Hardware Tested... Buyer Approved!!
August 17, 2002 4:10:31 PM

Did you read the reviews at pricegrabber.com? Some were absolutely horrible, describing the same power regulation problems you are describing right now.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET
Related resources
August 18, 2002 12:28:52 AM

I also had a bad 'encounter' with Visiontek. After installing my new (at the time) GeForce 3 ti500, we experienced all sorts of errors and such. We called Tech support, waited for about 2 hours, just for them to tell us to do the same things we'd already tried. We then put our old TNT2 in (god I'm glad it's not in still, I would have died) and it worked. We tried putting it back in about a month later, and, for some odd reason, it worked, although I still get a few random error messages every now and then. Great performance, but not very stable. I'd stay away from Visiontek if at all possible folks. Get a Chaintech, Leadtek, and so on card instead.

EDIT: I got carried away with my teks, fixed spelling ;) .

You only die once, don't mess it up.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mac404 on 08/17/02 10:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 18, 2002 4:03:55 AM

Here is my latest update with these idiots:
I called early Friday morning, after someone broke into my car (Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4) stole the stereo and did about $1500 worth of damage.
I called visiontek and talked to the receptionist. Over the last few days I've gotten her on my side.
I told her that even though I was sure that she gave my message to the tech support manager, he never returned my call. I then asked for the General Manager, she informed me that he would not be in until Monday but that she would give my message to the Director of the company. Amazingly I recieved a phone call from the tech support manager about 5 minutes later teling me that they would be sending out my replacement card that day via 2nd day air.
He was, of course appologetic about not returning my earlier phone calls but they have been particularly busy.

I'll wait and see if my card comes Tuesday, and if it actually works.
I'll be talking to the state attorney general if there is a continuing problem with the card or with Visiontek.

BE WARNED DO NOT BUY ANY GRAPHICS CARDS PRODUCED BY VISIONTEK, I'M ALREADY OUT THE MONEY BUT I WILL NOT LET THIS REST. THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO EITHER GET IT'S [-peep-] TOGETHER OR GO DOWN THE TUBES.
August 18, 2002 3:40:47 PM

Yea when you design a $350 product and it's produced in small quantities and your customers are enthusiasts you <i>don't</i> make mistakes.

1° of separation between my monopoly and yours. That's business with .NET
August 18, 2002 4:46:53 PM

What money are you out? The shipping? [-peep-] happens....they seem do be doing the right thing by replacing the card. 3 bad cards doesnt sound right. After the 2nd I wouldve switched brands, or at least switched stores. I wouldnt be suprised if the 4th doesnt work either. Could be something else there killing cards. You overclocking anything? AGP out of spec?

This sig runs too hot.
August 19, 2002 8:09:31 AM

It seems like visiontek is going out of business. Read this article at

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzM5

I hope this doesn't affect your replacement card or costumer service for it in the future.

The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by peter21 on 08/19/02 04:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 19, 2002 9:29:33 AM

visiontek is filing for bankruptcy, they will not fullfill any warranties I am sure. I am sorry to see them go.

Life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts some people more severly than others.
August 21, 2002 4:17:31 AM

Well here is the latest:
I heard about Visiontek closing yesterday. I was really wondering now if my replacement card went out on Friday like I ws told.
Well today it showed up via UPS 2nd day air.
It's in and running I've ran 3dmark but am definately hesitating to run Unreal like the last time.
I'll have to put some balls on sooner or later and do it anyway.
August 23, 2002 11:55:52 PM

I've played unreal a few times now. This new card really is stable. I can't make it crash. Looks like they made good, too bad they are going away.
One thing that I noticed, my system recognizes this card as a Quadro4 900 XGL. From what I can tell Visiontek has not produced any Quadro4 cards.
!