AR, to-hit and weapon speed

Hi,

I was looking at my level 84 ThrowBarb (SP) and was wondering how to
optimize him.

First of all, he was running with an HF merc, and while the freeze effect
is quite nice, he was lacking in total damage. Only about 4K-4.5K damage
per axe.

Second, I hadn't worried about IAS% so far. I looked up my current flying
axes and they were shown with a mere 3.3 attacks per second. To get them to
4.1 attacks would require 30% more IAS (with 30% from gloves and Goldwrap
belt already equipped).
The big advantage of these axes were their +1386 AR based on char level and
the high damage.

Switching to faster axes brought my AR down to around 5.5K compared to my
old axes with 9.5K.

To see some numbers, I first equipped him with a Fortitude armor for the +
300% ED. This gave around 7.5K max damage on my slow axes. Gimmers and my
412%ED flying axe have 6708 and 8862 max damage.

So, how important is AR in hell against normal monsters? And how does
attacks per second figure in? Arreat Summit says that most hell monsters
have a defense of 1600 - 2000. Hell Diablo has def 2500.

Chance to hit calc shows the following figures (neglecting the level part):

AR/DEF 1600 1800 2000 2500
5500 77 75 73 68
9500 85 84 82 79
12000 88 86 85 82

4K more AR from 5500 to 9500 only add about 10% chance to hit. Another 2.5K
AR only add another 3%.

Now we look at succesful hits over time (1 minute):

aps 60s cH Hit average
3.3 198 84% 166 6287
4.1A 246 84% 206 6280
4.1B 246 75% 184 5017/6628
5 300 75% 225 5625

4.1B is my Gimmers and the 412%ED flying axe with 2 free sockets.
4.1A are my slow flying axes and occupies all free sockets with 15%IAS
jewels. 5 attacks per second are my winged axes, also occupying all free
sockets. Winged axes also have around 7.5K damage.

Looks like my best bet is Gimmers/flying axe which leaves me with 2 free
sockets in armor and helmet.

As I'll have to drop the Fortitude armor, I'll go with Duress instead. But
this will lower my damage to 4.5K/5K with the Gimmers setup.

Should I get a might merc instead of the Holy Freeze guy?

Regards,

Oliver

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at my level 84 ThrowBarb (SP) and was wondering how to
> optimize him.
>
> First of all, he was running with an HF merc, and while the freeze effect
> is quite nice, he was lacking in total damage. Only about 4K-4.5K damage
> per axe.
>
> Second, I hadn't worried about IAS% so far. I looked up my current flying
> axes and they were shown with a mere 3.3 attacks per second. To get them
> 4.1 attacks would require 30% more IAS (with 30% from gloves and Goldwrap
> belt already equipped).
> The big advantage of these axes were their +1386 AR based on char level
and
> the high damage.
>
> Switching to faster axes brought my AR down to around 5.5K compared to my
> old axes with 9.5K.
>
> To see some numbers, I first equipped him with a Fortitude armor for the +
> 300% ED. This gave around 7.5K max damage on my slow axes. Gimmers and my
> 412%ED flying axe have 6708 and 8862 max damage.
>
> So, how important is AR in hell against normal monsters? And how does
> attacks per second figure in? Arreat Summit says that most hell monsters
> have a defense of 1600 - 2000. Hell Diablo has def 2500.
>
> Chance to hit calc shows the following figures (neglecting the level
part):

> AR/DEF 1600 1800 2000 2500
> 5500 77 75 73 68
> 9500 85 84 82 79
> 12000 88 86 85 82
>
> 4K more AR from 5500 to 9500 only add about 10% chance to hit. Another
2.5K
> AR only add another 3%.
>
> Now we look at succesful hits over time (1 minute):
>
> aps 60s cH Hit average
> 3.3 198 84% 166 6287
> 4.1A 246 84% 206 6280
> 4.1B 246 75% 184 5017/6628
> 5 300 75% 225 5625

Heh. If I can keep my Chance to Hit around 70% I'm happy :)

> 4.1B is my Gimmers and the 412%ED flying axe with 2 free sockets.
> 4.1A are my slow flying axes and occupies all free sockets with 15%IAS
> jewels. 5 attacks per second are my winged axes, also occupying all free
> sockets. Winged axes also have around 7.5K damage.
>
> Looks like my best bet is Gimmers/flying axe which leaves me with 2 free
> sockets in armor and helmet.
>
> As I'll have to drop the Fortitude armor, I'll go with Duress instead. But
> this will lower my damage to 4.5K/5K with the Gimmers setup.

Don't forget the CB from the Duress :) I don't know how much it will help
considering all the damage you're doing, but it should help a bit.

> Should I get a might merc instead of the Holy Freeze guy?

Yes.

short