Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does this sound legal?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
July 29, 2010 9:28:01 PM

Hey folks,

I thought I'd check my local craigslist to see if anyone was selling an extra copy of win7 pro retail (longshot, I know). To my surprise, there's a guy on there with a stack of un-opened, still-in-the-shrink-wrap win7 ultimate full retail boxes, selling them for $150 each. Is there a possible, legitimate explanation for this, or is it almost guaranteed these are stolen? I'd love to get win7 for this price, but am a bit uneasy about this...

Thanks!

-Bill

More about : sound legal

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
July 29, 2010 9:37:57 PM

I'd (a) ask him why they're so cheap to see if there's a plausible story, and (b) Google for reports of local thefts from computer stores.

There are legitimate reasons why stock might be cleared out - business failure or sale, for example. But there are also counterfeit copies, and the ones from China can look pretty convincing.
July 29, 2010 9:45:37 PM

Well in my opinion it doesn't sound like such a great idea. Considering a legitimate version of Windows 7 starter is only $199, it is almost worth it to pay the extra $50 for the piece of mind knowing that you will have everything you need and will be able to get the proper support if any problems should arise! It would be a bummer if the illegal version you bought had something wrong with it and didn't work, because then all you did was piss away $150! Just my thoughts.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 29, 2010 9:49:30 PM

considering how many people post on this forum about invalid keys for win 7 they got off ebay and craigslist, I would steer clear of this "good" offer.

Buy your copy of windows from a legit dealer like best buy, fry's, amazon, newegg, etc...
July 29, 2010 9:54:07 PM

Ok, thanks guys. I asked him about his price as you suggested, but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling on this. He's already emailed me a second time to ask if I'm intersted - it does have the feel of a scam. I'll let you know what he says though. I'll probably just wait for a good new-egg combo deal to come along so I know I'm covered.

Thanks again.

-Bill
a b $ Windows 7
July 29, 2010 10:09:56 PM

There's also the chance that once he's got your money, he will dissapear with it and you get nothing, legal or otherwise.
a b $ Windows 7
July 30, 2010 1:31:56 AM

Rule #1 of common sense.
IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT MOST LIKELY IS.
Of course they are illegal copies. You are fool if you think otherwise.
July 30, 2010 5:48:59 AM

bmathews said:
Well in my opinion it doesn't sound like such a great idea. Considering a legitimate version of Windows 7 starter is only $199, it is almost worth it to pay the extra $50 for the piece of mind knowing that you will have everything you need and will be able to get the proper support if any problems should arise! It would be a bummer if the illegal version you bought had something wrong with it and didn't work, because then all you did was piss away $150! Just my thoughts.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

Yea its too good to sound true. In fact the only way to get that good of a deal on 7 Ultimate is if you were given a illegal version in the first place. Then MS will well you a legit key and send you a DVD. I got mine for $200 but only cuz a friend gave me a illegal version that I thought was the RC1.

I too would stay away from that. The best way to get a new OS is to buy it from a retailer like newegg or local PC shop. We get 7 64 Home Premium OEM for $150 and sell it to people. Has a nifty case and everything too.
July 30, 2010 11:48:28 AM

Ok guys, here's what I asked him:

Quote:
I've looked around and you're way cheaper than anywhere else. Are they the legit US retail version or are they from a different region? Just wondering how you got them so cheap.

Thanks a lot.

And here's what he answered back:

Quote:
I can charge more if you want. :-)

They're legit copies. The SKU # is GLC-00182. I bought them cheap surplus from a store that was going out of business and he wanted to liquidate quickly. I'm not getting rich at $150, but it makes me enough. I've sold over 30 of them so I make up for it a bit in volume.

Here's the google shopping URL with my SKU. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=GLC-00182&oe=&...

They are more expensive, but I have no other costs (advertising, inventory, etc.)

Let me know if you are interested. I am tied up the rest of this evening but should be available tomorrow in the mid to later afternoon.

Sounds legit, but that's probably what a good thief would say too... And the SKU number is universal, so he could have read it off the shelf at Staples. Think I'll stick with Amazon or Newegg to be safe. Thanks a lot guys.

-Bill

July 30, 2010 8:35:42 PM

Best answer selected by harriw.
!