Hi,

I'm trying to build a trapsin (my first one), and I'v got a question
concerning the skill distribution.

Skills in question:

- wake of fire
- lightning sentry
- death senty

Wake of fire seems to be the weakest regarding average damage, but the
flames seem to hit multiple monsters, thus giving damage to each of them?

Lightning sentry has more total lightning damage and shoots 10 times,
but I guess the corpse explosion from death sentry outweights that?

More general: what's your suggestion for the primary trap skill(s) for a
trapsin?

--
c.u.
Hajo

> Lightning sentry has more total lightning damage and shoots 10 times,
> but I guess the corpse explosion from death sentry outweights that?

death sentry shoots more often with fire blast synergy, i guess you noticed.

a good lightning trapsin will max both, lightning and death sentry. actually
she will put points into the other synergies to boost damage even more, but
that depends on you. dont forget that there is hell where you need a more
versatile build.
in normal and nm you are fine using lightning sentry, or better put 4 li
sentries and one death sentry.
in hell i'm sometimes only using death sentry, as i'm lazy with hotkeys :D
death sentry is your main killer in hell, use li sentry to get the first
corpse faster.

> More general: what's your suggestion for the primary trap skill(s) for a
> trapsin?

as said above, lightning trap path is the easiest. never tried the fire
path, heard of some buggy behaviour of the fire traps, like wrong range, but
actually another one maybe know more about that one.

i'd like to go ahead and suggest fire blast to be your secondary skill, it
receives great synergies from the lightning traps. with burst of speed you
can throw those pretty quick and hurt those li monsters. but make sure you
have a stable merc and shadowmaster on your side.
places like the way to mephisto are not much fun for her...
stefan

Stefan Roth wrote::

>>Lightning sentry has more total lightning damage and shoots 10 times,
>>but I guess the corpse explosion from death sentry outweights that?
>
> death sentry shoots more often with fire blast synergy, i guess you noticed.

I noticed that, but a bit too late. ATM (clvl 28) I have 6 points in
wake of fire, and it's getting a bit weak in acts 4 and 5.

I guess I should've rather spend those on fire blast. (I have 12
unallocated points left, so I still have a bit of flexibility).

> a good lightning trapsin will max both, lightning and death sentry. actually
> she will put points into the other synergies to boost damage even more, but
> that depends on you. dont forget that there is hell where you need a more
> versatile build.

I've never reached hell so far, so I can just rely on your hints :)

Actually that's the reason why I'm asking. I don't want to screw this
character too much - creating a less than optimal character is ok fore
me as a beginner, but I 'd liek to have a fair chance to get through all
parts of the game.

>>More general: what's your suggestion for the primary trap skill(s) for a
>>trapsin?
>
> as said above, lightning trap path is the easiest. never tried the fire
> path, heard of some buggy behaviour of the fire traps, like wrong range, but
> actually another one maybe know more about that one.

I tried to search forums and strategy compendiums, but only some PvP
guides mention the higher fire traps like wake of fire or wake of inferno.

In SP (offline) I have a clvl 39 trapsin with points in WoF and WoI and
I think WoI is quite useless. WoF is weak, but stuns monsters which is
handy - at least in normal difficulty it works well. I didn't notice
bugs in the fire traps, they just seem to be generally weaker than the
lightning traps. I've reached nightmare difficulty with that char and
switched to death sentry as primary trap. It seems to be ok so far.

> i'd like to go ahead and suggest fire blast to be your secondary skill, it
> receives great synergies from the lightning traps.

That's right. I assume I considered the synergies too little.

> with burst of speed you
> can throw those pretty quick and hurt those li monsters. but make sure you
> have a stable merc and shadowmaster on your side.

I'm not quite sure about the best merc, but I can experiemtn with that a
bit, since I still have a big part of game in front of me. The skills I
can't change later so it's important to do it right now.

I'm going for a shadow master as tank, will put a lot of points in there
- not sure how much, some say 17 are enough. Will see how it works. ATM
I'm desperately waiting (levelling) for clvl 30 :)

> places like the way to mephisto are not much fun for her...

*sniff* Mephisto is my favorite super unique to kill ... meph runs are
still popular, and so far none of the party members complained too much
about my chars weakness.

--
c.u. Hajo

> I noticed that, but a bit too late. ATM (clvl 28) I have 6 points in
> wake of fire, and it's getting a bit weak in acts 4 and 5.
> I guess I should've rather spend those on fire blast. (I have 12
> unallocated points left, so I still have a bit of flexibility).

well, of course not nice, trapsin builds need every point available.
still those 6 points can work now as a synergy to fireblast, so not too bad.
start maxing your li traps first.

> Actually that's the reason why I'm asking. I don't want to screw this
> character too much - creating a less than optimal character is ok fore
> me as a beginner, but I 'd liek to have a fair chance to get through all
> parts of the game.

the best way to learn is to make your own build and see what you can do
better the next time :D
don't give up on this one yet.

> I'm not quite sure about the best merc, but I can experiemtn with that a
> bit, since I still have a big part of game in front of me. The skills I
> can't change later so it's important to do it right now.

trapsins like freeze mercs (act2 nm defensive merc) a lot, they slowdown the
monsters and make sure they stay there where your trap fires to. this also
adds some safety for your char. of course you can choose an act2 might merc
or act5 barb, as they can deal quicker with those li monsters. i'd prefer
the freezer.

> I'm going for a shadow master as tank, will put a lot of points in there
> - not sure how much, some say 17 are enough. Will see how it works. ATM
> I'm desperately waiting (levelling) for clvl 30 :)

people say that a shadowmaster will receive the best gear from lvl17 on. it
depends on your +skill gear how many points you will put there. it shouldn't
be too difficult to find stuff for about +5 to skills, so 12 hard points
should be enough.

> > places like the way to mephisto are not much fun for her...
>
> *sniff* Mephisto is my favorite super unique to kill ... meph runs are
> still popular, and so far none of the party members complained too much
> about my chars weakness.

nm meph is no problem for her, hell is a different story.
almost everything down there is lightning immune, except the dolls :D
just make sure to RUN whenever dolls run up to you and your traps start
firing :D
stefan

Stefan Roth wrote::

>>Actually that's the reason why I'm asking. I don't want to screw this
>>character too much - creating a less than optimal character is ok fore
>>me as a beginner, but I 'd liek to have a fair chance to get through all
>>parts of the game.
>
> the best way to learn is to make your own build and see what you can do
> better the next time :D
> don't give up on this one yet.

So far I like her and will continue to fight my way to baal later the day :)

>>I'm not quite sure about the best merc [...]

> trapsins like freeze mercs (act2 nm defensive merc) a lot, they slowdown the
> monsters and make sure they stay there where your trap fires to. this also
> adds some safety for your char.

Currently I use an act 3 frost/ice type merc. He is quite efficient in
freezing foes, too. I never used an act2 merc with any of my chars. They
died way too quickly, but I see a lot of people using them, so I assume
it's my style of play that kills them.

> of course you can choose an act2 might merc
> or act5 barb, as they can deal quicker with those li monsters. i'd prefer
> the freezer.

I pondered about the barb option, but I delayed the decision since my
act 3 merc does quite well currently.

> nm meph is no problem for her, hell is a different story.

Often I've lost motivation after finishing normal difficulty and
wandering a bit into nightmare. I don't know why, but my characters (SP,
offline) all ended their active careers in the late 30s character
levels. So far I have a barbarian, a sorceress, a necro, a druid, and an
assassin in act 1 nightmare. I don't like the paladins, sorry guys, and
amazons are too complex for me.

I'll see if it's different in an online game. I've got a flatrate just
last week, so it's all pretty new and exciting to me :)

> almost everything down there is lightning immune, except the dolls :D
> just make sure to RUN whenever dolls run up to you and your traps start
> firing :D

Jogging is healthy. In the game and in real life ;)

Thanks for all your help!

--
c.u. Hajo

short wrote::

> "Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote

>>Had to do Baal two times, the first time with help of a necro, but my
>>connection failed in the very moment Baal died (aaaaaarghh!) and even if
>>the video played, my character was not listed as slayer. I couldn't
>>rejoin the game. A second try a little later with the help of a
>>sorceress was successful, but the poor sorc died lots in the battle :(
>
> Hehe, I hate it when that happens!!!

Me too. I spend about 5 hours on that, several times my connection broke
while fighting baals minions or even in the upper levels of the
worldstone keep.

Anyways, it's done. Just feeling a bit bad because the sorceress in the
final game didn't get as much support from me as she deserved, because
it was getting late and I was too focused on finally killing baal that
day. I don't even recall her name, so I can send her some apologies for
my lack of support and the reasons :(

> However, if you normally don't plan on leaving Normal, max Wake of Fire and
> max Wake of Inferno would be a decent combo.
> WoF would be doing 168-192
> WoI would be doing 535-623

I had a single player trapsin who used wake of inferno and it was a big
disappointment. Most monster move too fast so it can't hit them
effectively. I gave up on that plan very soon.

> Then you could use WoF against the packs of not so tough monsters, and WoF
> for the Bosses and such. Heck, that might even work a bit into NM, but
> probably not for very long.

Yesterday evening, after killing Baal, I took a short snoop into
nightmare and it went surprisingly well. Mosters are hard enough to be
interesting, and easy enough to be fun to kill.

But it was day of bad luck for my co-players. A palading joined my game,
I sent him a town portal, he came in and died the next second due to a
fireball from one of those shamens. I guess he wasn't at full health,
but it must be a frustrating start if you come to help a lower level
character and start with dying.

>>Since level 30 I spent all points on shadow master, currently at level
>>8. My style of play seems to need a strong tank, and the shadow master
>>is prefect for that.
>
> Yup, the ShadowMaster is probably the best Minion you can have, as far as
> versatility goes.

I sometimes wonder if party members can tell her from me :)

> You could put a point into Blade Fury too, its fun to throw around to help
> with the traps.

I'm a bit slow with the keyboard, so I tried to build a character who
uses few skills only and I can lazily use left-click and right-click :)

I think it was a necro that I once had who really made me work the
keyboard in tight battles. I retired him in favour of an easier character :)

Still my next try will be a golemancer. I hope for a lazy life with that
one, too :)

But first I want to adventure a bit further with my trapsin.

> Good luck!!!

Thanks :)

--
c.u. Hajo
Lvl 37 Trapsin *Kata-Zong, SC Ladder, Europe

"Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> short wrote::
>
> > "Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote
>
> >>Had to do Baal two times, the first time with help of a necro, but my
> >>connection failed in the very moment Baal died (aaaaaarghh!) and even if
> >>the video played, my character was not listed as slayer. I couldn't
> >>rejoin the game. A second try a little later with the help of a
> >>sorceress was successful, but the poor sorc died lots in the battle :(
> >
> > Hehe, I hate it when that happens!!!
>
> Me too. I spend about 5 hours on that, several times my connection broke
> while fighting baals minions or even in the upper levels of the
> worldstone keep.

I have a cable internet connection now, I don't know how I ever played on a
dial up connection before. If I lost the connection I have now, I'd
probably just play Single Player offline.

> Anyways, it's done. Just feeling a bit bad because the sorceress in the
> final game didn't get as much support from me as she deserved, because
> it was getting late and I was too focused on finally killing baal that
> day. I don't even recall her name, so I can send her some apologies for
> my lack of support and the reasons :(

The other day I sent up a TP and told the person in town it was safe, and
right before he walked in my Merc ran around the corner and woke up a Boss
Pack of archers. Dead Paladin, as soon a he stepped through. Heh, that was
bad. :)

> > However, if you normally don't plan on leaving Normal, max Wake of Fire
and
> > max Wake of Inferno would be a decent combo.
> > WoF would be doing 168-192
> > WoI would be doing 535-623
>
> I had a single player trapsin who used wake of inferno and it was a big
> disappointment. Most monster move too fast so it can't hit them
> effectively. I gave up on that plan very soon.

Yup, I hate that trap.

> > Then you could use WoF against the packs of not so tough monsters, and
WoF
> > for the Bosses and such. Heck, that might even work a bit into NM, but
> > probably not for very long.
>
> Yesterday evening, after killing Baal, I took a short snoop into
> nightmare and it went surprisingly well. Mosters are hard enough to be
> interesting, and easy enough to be fun to kill.

And that's how you want it to be!

> But it was day of bad luck for my co-players. A palading joined my game,
> I sent him a town portal, he came in and died the next second due to a
> fireball from one of those shamens. I guess he wasn't at full health,
> but it must be a frustrating start if you come to help a lower level
> character and start with dying.

Yeah, but most people don't get too upset about it, unless it is in harcore.

> >>Since level 30 I spent all points on shadow master, currently at level
> >>8. My style of play seems to need a strong tank, and the shadow master
> >>is prefect for that.
> >
> > Yup, the ShadowMaster is probably the best Minion you can have, as far
as
> > versatility goes.
>
> I sometimes wonder if party members can tell her from me :)
>
> > You could put a point into Blade Fury too, its fun to throw around to
help
> > with the traps.
>
> I'm a bit slow with the keyboard, so I tried to build a character who
> uses few skills only and I can lazily use left-click and right-click :)
>
> I think it was a necro that I once had who really made me work the
> keyboard in tight battles. I retired him in favour of an easier character
:)

> Still my next try will be a golemancer. I hope for a lazy life with that
> one, too :)

I don't know how easy a Golemancer will be, but a Skellimancer is the route
to go if you don't like keyboard acrobatics.
Once I raise my army, I only have 3-4 hotkeys that get used.

short

Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote::

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a trapsin (my first one), and I'v got a question
> concerning the skill distribution.
>
> Skills in question:
>
> - wake of fire
> - lightning sentry
> - death senty

Probably this won't become the most powerful trapper - given the
skillpoint distribution that I already had, this one seems the most
sensible combination:

- use wake of fire and death sentry as primary and secondary skills
- put point int fire blast because of the synergies

Wake of fire maxes out at a lesser total damage than lightning sentry,
but I had too many points in it already and I have some hope that the
punch is big enough for a good part of the game. Never seen hell
difficulty so I can't say how it'll be there. Wake of fire shoots faster
and has more area coverage and needs less mana than lightning sentry,
maybe that makes up a bit for the lower damage.

Death sentry is powerful as soon as there are corpses becuase it has CE
effect also. Also helps to get rid of bodies that could be revived by
shamen and such.

Having the choice between lightning and fire should help with monsters
immune against one of those elements.

--
c.u. Hajo

> Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote::
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to build a trapsin (my first one), and I'v got a question
> > concerning the skill distribution.
> >
> > Skills in question:
> >
> > - wake of fire
> > - lightning sentry
> > - death senty
>
> Probably this won't become the most powerful trapper - given the
> skillpoint distribution that I already had, this one seems the most
> sensible combination:

Probably so :)

> - use wake of fire and death sentry as primary and secondary skills
> - put point int fire blast because of the synergies

As you progress farther you'll probably end up using Death Sentry as
Primary, and Wake of Fire to distract the monsters until they get blown up.

> Wake of fire maxes out at a lesser total damage than lightning sentry,
> but I had too many points in it already and I have some hope that the
> punch is big enough for a good part of the game. Never seen hell
> difficulty so I can't say how it'll be there. Wake of fire shoots faster
> and has more area coverage and needs less mana than lightning sentry,
> maybe that makes up a bit for the lower damage.

You get style points for using it anyway :)

> Death sentry is powerful as soon as there are corpses becuase it has CE
> effect also. Also helps to get rid of bodies that could be revived by
> shamen and such.
>
> Having the choice between lightning and fire should help with monsters
> immune against one of those elements.

That's the plan!

short - Death Sentry is Teh Besto

short wrote::

> "Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>>Wake of fire maxes out at a lesser total damage than lightning sentry,
>>but I had too many points in it already and I have some hope that the
>>punch is big enough for a good part of the game. Never seen hell
>>difficulty so I can't say how it'll be there. Wake of fire shoots faster
>>and has more area coverage and needs less mana than lightning sentry,
>>maybe that makes up a bit for the lower damage.
>
> You get style points for using it anyway :)

:)

This leads me to another point: I've seen only very few other assassins
so far. Are they unpopular in general? On europe particularly? Or did I
just join the wrong games :)

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <39dqjiF61asgkU1@individual.net>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>short wrote::
>
>> "Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>>Wake of fire maxes out at a lesser total damage than lightning sentry,
>>>but I had too many points in it already and I have some hope that the
>>>punch is big enough for a good part of the game. Never seen hell
>>>difficulty so I can't say how it'll be there. Wake of fire shoots faster
>>>and has more area coverage and needs less mana than lightning sentry,
>>>maybe that makes up a bit for the lower damage.
>>
>> You get style points for using it anyway :)
>
>:)

;) Let us know how your trapassin fares. I'm especially interested in her
performance in late NM/Hell. I built a 'standard' lightning trapassin, as
detailed in replies to your previous question, and finished off Hell Baal
without encountering many problem. I did hit a bit of a deadlock in Act 1
Hell, because I ran into a lot of lightning immunes there, but that was
fixed by returning to NM, getting a bunch of levels in Baal runes, and
pumping Fire Blast with those points.

Anyhow, it's a fun build, and I'm curious if the fire traps are really
that weak. After I finished Hell with her, I didn't actually play a lot
with the trapassin, mostly because she has very little MF, and I see
little possibilities in adding MF while maintaining her kill-rate.

I do keep an eye out on gear to improve her when I'm MFing with my main MF
char (skelliemancer) but haven't run into any +3 traps/+individual
lightning trap skills claws, or a real good amulet (+3 traps/nice second
mod magic, or a very good rare +2 assasin/nice other mods).

I also reroll grand charms, but have scored no trap skillers yet.

If anyone reading this thread has any suggestions, gear wise, on how to
turn a trapassin into an MF powerhouse, I'd be most interested! :)

>This leads me to another point: I've seen only very few other assassins
>so far. Are they unpopular in general? On europe particularly? Or did I
>just join the wrong games :)

Most assassin builds, excluding maybe the lightning trapassin, are quite
difficult to play. On top of that, most of the builds needs some quite
specific gear to survive, so getting a lot of MF is rather difficult.

And it's indeed boring what a bland collection of characters one
encounters in public games: more than 50% are sorcs, and 25% hammerdins,
and the rest is divided between melee pally/barb/necro/druid.

At least, that's my impression.

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <39du27F600d3nU1@individual.net>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>>
>>>;) Let us know how your trapassin fares.
>>
>>I'll keep you updated.

A sudden onslaught of real life stopped my progress in game. I spent
saturday on getting to NM/Act 5, but since then I haven't played.

I got there with help of a friend, and was part of a 8 player party to
kill Diablo. So I have no serious idea if I could solo there, or if my
character is too weak. I have met a few champion monsters that I
apparently could not kill, so I assume I can't solo Act 5/NM, unless I
spend some more points on the traps. I have ten spare skill points, and
40 attribute points, so I can power up a bit.

Currently my trapsin is at clvl 50, which seems a bit 'young' for the
area of the game that I have reached.

Next week I'll be on vacation. I hope to pick up the game again, and
advance my trapsin into hell difficulty level.

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <39npsdF620ieeU1@individual.net>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>A sudden onslaught of real life stopped my progress in game. I spent
>saturday on getting to NM/Act 5, but since then I haven't played.
>
>I got there with help of a friend, and was part of a 8 player party to
>kill Diablo. So I have no serious idea if I could solo there, or if my
>character is too weak. I have met a few champion monsters that I
>apparently could not kill, so I assume I can't solo Act 5/NM, unless I
>spend some more points on the traps. I have ten spare skill points, and
>40 attribute points, so I can power up a bit.

Well, if you encounter a lightning immune, which is also unbreakable (I
have a wand with 'lower resists' charges for this in my stash), you're in
trouble indeed, especially if you have no strong secondary attack.

>Currently my trapsin is at clvl 50, which seems a bit 'young' for the
>area of the game that I have reached.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't really pay attention to that a lot. Only if I
run into problems, will I start evaluating my level and related skill
levels. It should be very easy to gain at least 10+ levels while still
staying in NM. And I suspect that once you are near the end of Act 5/NM,
you will have gained quite some levels.. :)

>Next week I'll be on vacation. I hope to pick up the game again, and
>advance my trapsin into hell difficulty level.

Hope you enjoyed your vacation, and feel free to contact me on B.Net once
you're back, my offer (of course) still stands. See a previous post, or
ask me again, for contacting me.

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <39dqjiF61asgkU1@individual.net>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>short wrote::

>>>You get style points for using it anyway :)
>>
>>:)
>
> ;) Let us know how your trapassin fares. I'm especially interested in her
> performance in late NM/Hell. I built a 'standard' lightning trapassin, as
> detailed in replies to your previous question, and finished off Hell Baal
> without encountering many problem.

Sorry for the long break. I was away from Diablo a while, then tried
some other characters, and finally decided to try to continue my fire
trapsin to hell difficulty. She's level 65 now.

Well.

I can kill things. I can survive. BUT! It's not really killing, it's
more like grinding them down. I have WoF maxed now, and 6 points in fire
blast because of the synergies. This works, but it's slow.

This is the first time that I've entered hell difficulty. I must say,
the name "hell" is fully justified. It feels like hell. I see the other
players struggle as much as I do, so I think my character is ok. I was
told that equipmnent is a key to success, and surely my equipment isn't
as good as it could be. Almost no uniques, only a few rares and some
exceptional items.

I seriously need something with +skills, lately found an amulet with +1
traps, which helps a bit. Still looking for +skills claws. Gambled all
my money away, but no luck so far. Shopping was unsuccessful also so
far. But I guess better equipment is only a matter of time.

> I did hit a bit of a deadlock in Act 1
> Hell, because I ran into a lot of lightning immunes there, but that was
> fixed by returning to NM, getting a bunch of levels in Baal runes, and
> pumping Fire Blast with those points.

Same here, but the other way round. Quite some of the beasties are fire
immune, and I have to upgrade the lightning traps.

> Anyhow, it's a fun build, and I'm curious if the fire traps are really
> that weak. After I finished Hell with her, I didn't actually play a lot
> with the trapassin, mostly because she has very little MF, and I see
> little possibilities in adding MF while maintaining her kill-rate.

I lack all comparison, becuase I'm the first time in hell. My idea of
powerful traps is something else, but it's hard to say if pure lightning
would work better. I have 14 points in shadow master, which helps a lot
to keep monsters away from we and busy, so that I have time to toast
them slowly.

> I do keep an eye out on gear to improve her when I'm MFing with my main MF
> char (skelliemancer) but haven't run into any +3 traps/+individual
> lightning trap skills claws, or a real good amulet (+3 traps/nice second
> mod magic, or a very good rare +2 assasin/nice other mods).

Same problem here, but my character still has a long way to go, so I
hope for better luck later in the game.

> I also reroll grand charms, but have scored no trap skillers yet.

I didn't try that yet.

> Most assassin builds, excluding maybe the lightning trapassin, are quite
> difficult to play. On top of that, most of the builds needs some quite
> specific gear to survive, so getting a lot of MF is rather difficult.

The only problem I see is that I can't kill things really fast. Not even
in the lower difficulty levels. But only sorcerresses are faster killers
in the lower levels, and they have troubles in the higher difficulty
levels as well.

It seems to even out.

From my point of view, my fire trapper is one of the easier characters
to play. The shadow master is a good tank, the traps can be used
strategically and I can survive some hits if something should get close
for some reason. I definitely have a lack in melee power and need to run
if I'm getting rushed by a group of monsters.

> And it's indeed boring what a bland collection of characters one
> encounters in public games: more than 50% are sorcs, and 25% hammerdins,
> and the rest is divided between melee pally/barb/necro/druid.

I feel sorry to have added two more to the legion of sorceresses. My
cold/lightning sorceress has retired mostly, sometimes rushing a few
people through normal, although my fire/lightning sorc takes over more
and more of that as she grows up.

I like my fire/lightning sorceress very much. It's not a powerful build
all alone, but works very well in parties with meleers or even cold
sorceresses. I can't freeze monsters, so I need help to pin them, but
it's just so much fun to see them burn. Fire trapper. Fire sorc. Once I
had a fire druid. Maybe I'm a pyromaniac :)

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d3dise$16h$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> ;) Let us know how your trapassin fares. I'm especially interested in her
>> performance in late NM/Hell. I built a 'standard' lightning trapassin, as
>> detailed in replies to your previous question, and finished off Hell Baal
>> without encountering many problem.
>
>Sorry for the long break. I was away from Diablo a while, then tried
>some other characters, and finally decided to try to continue my fire
>trapsin to hell difficulty. She's level 65 now.

No problem, I'm glad you took the time and effort to respond after this
long time, and I read your report with interest!

>Well.
>
>I can kill things. I can survive. BUT! It's not really killing, it's
>more like grinding them down. I have WoF maxed now, and 6 points in fire
>blast because of the synergies. This works, but it's slow.

That's indeed the nice thing about Fire Blast: it's a nice skill on it's
own, it receives synergies from (almost?) all of the traps, and also
synergizes the traps in turn, sometimes quite useful.

>This is the first time that I've entered hell difficulty. I must say,
>the name "hell" is fully justified. It feels like hell. I see the other
>players struggle as much as I do, so I think my character is ok. I was
>told that equipmnent is a key to success, and surely my equipment isn't
>as good as it could be. Almost no uniques, only a few rares and some
>exceptional items.

Hell is quite an effort, I agree. But it's not that bad, I notice, once
you get into it. You do have to 'readjust' after entering it, but once you
know what the 'problems' are, I notice you learn how to deal with 'em.

>I seriously need something with +skills, lately found an amulet with +1
>traps, which helps a bit. Still looking for +skills claws. Gambled all
>my money away, but no luck so far. Shopping was unsuccessful also so
>far. But I guess better equipment is only a matter of time.

Well, I think I understood you are playing on SC Europe Ladder, so if you
feel OK with accepting (or borrowing, it's your choice) some gear from me,
I might have something for you. Nothing really 'ueber', but I have 1 spare
+3 traps claw, and at least several +3 traps amulets. Don't expect
anything godly though. ;)

If you're in NM, shop NM Anya, for the biggest chance to get a +3 traps
claw.

>> I did hit a bit of a deadlock in Act 1
>> Hell, because I ran into a lot of lightning immunes there, but that was
>> fixed by returning to NM, getting a bunch of levels in Baal runes, and
>> pumping Fire Blast with those points.
>
>Same here, but the other way round. Quite some of the beasties are fire
>immune, and I have to upgrade the lightning traps.

Yeah, you run into Fire Immunes a lot and earlier.

Also, it's quite possible Death Sentry can be used by you as a sort of
1-point wonder: never underestimate the power of CE! It's your best bet
for finishing off large groups.

>> Anyhow, it's a fun build, and I'm curious if the fire traps are really
>> that weak. After I finished Hell with her, I didn't actually play a lot
>> with the trapassin, mostly because she has very little MF, and I see
>> little possibilities in adding MF while maintaining her kill-rate.
>
>I lack all comparison, becuase I'm the first time in hell. My idea of
>powerful traps is something else, but it's hard to say if pure lightning
>would work better. I have 14 points in shadow master, which helps a lot
>to keep monsters away from we and busy, so that I have time to toast
>them slowly.

Well, if you're interested, we could also meet up in a Hell game with both
of our trappers, so we can compare trap killing speed.

On another note: looking back, I should maybe re-adjust my evaluation of
her usefullness a bit. While high MF is usually very much wanted, high MF
also lowers your chances of finding plain socketed items.

Remembering my trapsin, I know she was quite capable of killing large
groups very quickly, so if she does that with (close to) zero MF, I might
have a large chance to find a nice socketed elite armor/weapon...

Anyhow, my offer stands. Compare trapassin, and if you like, some gear
'for loan', of keepers. :)

>Same problem here, but my character still has a long way to go, so I
>hope for better luck later in the game.

I can also understand if you only want to use self-found stuff though. :)

>> I also reroll grand charms, but have scored no trap skillers yet.
>
>I didn't try that yet.

I still do, and plenty of skillers, but no trap skillers. :(

>The only problem I see is that I can't kill things really fast. Not even
>in the lower difficulty levels. But only sorcerresses are faster killers
>in the lower levels, and they have troubles in the higher difficulty
>levels as well.

Well, I know for sure a summoning necromancer is a quick killer, even in
the latter parts of Hell. :)

>It seems to even out.
>
>From my point of view, my fire trapper is one of the easier characters
>to play. The shadow master is a good tank, the traps can be used
>strategically and I can survive some hits if something should get close
>for some reason. I definitely have a lack in melee power and need to run
>if I'm getting rushed by a group of monsters.

Well, don't forget the usefullness of Mind Blast of course! And Cloak of
Shadows is also a 1-point wonder to quiet down those ranged attackers...

>I feel sorry to have added two more to the legion of sorceresses. My
>cold/lightning sorceress has retired mostly, sometimes rushing a few
>people through normal, although my fire/lightning sorc takes over more
>and more of that as she grows up.
>
>I like my fire/lightning sorceress very much. It's not a powerful build
>all alone, but works very well in parties with meleers or even cold
>sorceresses. I can't freeze monsters, so I need help to pin them, but
>it's just so much fun to see them burn. Fire trapper. Fire sorc. Once I
>had a fire druid. Maybe I'm a pyromaniac :)

I only have 1 sorc at the moment, a FO/CL sorceress, but she is now in a
bit of trouble before the Hell Ancients. It's going to be quite difficult
to get past these, without some external help. And I make it a sport to
solo the entire game with every char. But if this stays like this any
longer, I think I'll probably get her past them using my skelliemancer.

I might build another sorc, but am looking for another build which can
solo hell. Possibly a FO (FO remains a relatively cheap wonder spell to
get through NM with) + Fireball sorc, with static field as the Lightning
spell... But I'm still plenty busy with getting my IK Barb though Hell
(halfway Act 3 Hell now), and/or levelling my Stormlash-Zealot to be
(halfway Act3 Normal now).

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d3dise$16h$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>>

>>>;) Let us know how your trapassin fares.

[...]

>>Well.
>>
>>I can kill things. I can survive. BUT! It's not really killing, it's
>>more like grinding them down.

[...]

>>This is the first time that I've entered hell difficulty. I must say,
>>the name "hell" is fully justified. It feels like hell. I see the other
>>players struggle as much as I do, so I think my character is ok. I was
>>told that equipmnent is a key to success, and surely my equipment isn't
>>as good as it could be. Almost no uniques, only a few rares and some
>>exceptional items.
>
> Hell is quite an effort, I agree. But it's not that bad, I notice, once
> you get into it. You do have to 'readjust' after entering it, but once you
> know what the 'problems' are, I notice you learn how to deal with 'em.

Actually it's much more like the way I imagine a good game. I like the
slower pace and the harder fights. It feels more rewarding.

OTOH sometimes I go back to normal and kill Diablo just to reassure that
my character really can kill things. But last time I was not focused
enough, and had to use a healing potion or two.

I think normal Diablo must suffer now for what the lower beasties of the
higher difficulties do to me. OTOH this makes some players happy since I
kill Diablo just for fun and they get past him easily. So I consider it
a good thing.

>>I seriously need something with +skills, lately found an amulet with +1
>>traps, which helps a bit. Still looking for +skills claws. Gambled all
>>my money away, but no luck so far. Shopping was unsuccessful also so
>>far. But I guess better equipment is only a matter of time.
>
> Well, I think I understood you are playing on SC Europe Ladder, so if you
> feel OK with accepting (or borrowing, it's your choice) some gear from me,
> I might have something for you. Nothing really 'ueber', but I have 1 spare
> +3 traps claw, and at least several +3 traps amulets. Don't expect
> anything godly though. ;)

I experienced two extremes.

Some players don't have an idea of sharing, and take whatever they can
get as quickly as they can.

Other players are very generous. I got so many gifts that sometimes I
didn't know what to do with all of them. I have been given things that I
consider godly, but for my sorceress mostly.

I'm a bit torn between "I want it" and "I got so much, please no more
gifts". So if it makes you happy and you don't need the things, I'll
gladly take them. But I wouldn't mind if you keep them for you own use.

> If you're in NM, shop NM Anya, for the biggest chance to get a +3 traps
> claw.

Ok, thank you for the hint!

> Also, it's quite possible Death Sentry can be used by you as a sort of
> 1-point wonder: never underestimate the power of CE! It's your best bet
> for finishing off large groups.

Death sentry is my secondary trap. I think I have 7 or 8 points in it.
The corpse explosion is good, particularly if there are shamans around
who revive their dead minions all over.

OTOH if the are necromancers in the party who need the corpses, I can't
use death sentry so much.

>>>Anyhow, it's a fun build, and I'm curious if the fire traps are really
>>>that weak. After I finished Hell with her, I didn't actually play a lot
>>>with the trapassin, mostly because she has very little MF, and I see
>>>little possibilities in adding MF while maintaining her kill-rate.
>>
>>I lack all comparison, becuase I'm the first time in hell. My idea of
>>powerful traps is something else, but it's hard to say if pure lightning
>>would work better. I have 14 points in shadow master, which helps a lot
>>to keep monsters away from we and busy, so that I have time to toast
>>them slowly.
>
> Well, if you're interested, we could also meet up in a Hell game with both
> of our trappers, so we can compare trap killing speed.

Ok :)

Don't be disapointed if you win easily. I've learned that there are lots
of players who have vastly better skills than me - regardless of their
characters, they just play better.

A friend that I've rushed once said "&%"%, it is hard here if you are so
low level!". Well, actually I was wondering how well he did. I surely
had died all over with his character in that situation, but he kept going.

So there is definitely a quality of players beyond equipment and
character attributes.

> On another note: looking back, I should maybe re-adjust my evaluation of
> her usefullness a bit. While high MF is usually very much wanted, high MF
> also lowers your chances of finding plain socketed items.

That's true. It depends on what you want :)

I can tell that one day I really was frustraded because of waiting for a
plain plate belt (to be imbued), and all that dropped or sold were magic.

> Remembering my trapsin, I know she was quite capable of killing large
> groups very quickly, so if she does that with (close to) zero MF, I might
> have a large chance to find a nice socketed elite armor/weapon...

:)

> Anyhow, my offer stands. Compare trapassin, and if you like, some gear
> 'for loan', of keepers. :)

I'll send an email. I'm interested in the comparison, too.

>>Same problem here, but my character still has a long way to go, so I
>>hope for better luck later in the game.
>
> I can also understand if you only want to use self-found stuff though. :)

When I met some of the more greedy players I formed the idea to 'survive
on less'. Let them take what they want and get along with what's left.
It's way more relaxed this way. It's a game, I play for fun, and it
doesn't hurt if I'm a bit behind.

In one game there even was a fight between players, because one player
took something and another one wanted it too ...

My decision lead to the strange situation, that, if someone asks me to
show my equipment and I do, usually they feel pity and give me things
for free. I guess I got better stuff this way than whatever could've
dropped in the games that I played.

This world is funny sometimes :)
Getting more by taking less.

>>The only problem I see is that I can't kill things really fast. Not even
>>in the lower difficulty levels. But only sorcerresses are faster killers
>>in the lower levels, and they have troubles in the higher difficulty
>>levels as well.
>
> Well, I know for sure a summoning necromancer is a quick killer, even in
> the latter parts of Hell. :)

I have no experience there, but I assume at some point things turn.

Characters that do well in lower levels suddenly experience problems,
while long-term strategic builds develop their full power at higher
levels only.

>>It seems to even out.
>
>>From my point of view, my fire trapper is one of the easier characters
>>to play. The shadow master is a good tank, the traps can be used
>>strategically and I can survive some hits if something should get close
>>for some reason. I definitely have a lack in melee power and need to run
>>if I'm getting rushed by a group of monsters.
>
> Well, don't forget the usefullness of Mind Blast of course! And Cloak of
> Shadows is also a 1-point wonder to quiet down those ranged attackers...

I learned that from my shadow :)

I'm too lazy (too bad?) with the keyboard, so if I have to use a lot of
keys, I get nowhere.

>>I like my fire/lightning sorceress very much. It's not a powerful build
>>all alone, but works very well in parties with meleers or even cold
>>sorceresses. I can't freeze monsters, so I need help to pin them, but
>>it's just so much fun to see them burn. Fire trapper. Fire sorc. Once I
>>had a fire druid. Maybe I'm a pyromaniac :)
>
> I only have 1 sorc at the moment, a FO/CL sorceress, but she is now in a
> bit of trouble before the Hell Ancients. It's going to be quite difficult
> to get past these, without some external help. And I make it a sport to
> solo the entire game with every char. But if this stays like this any
> longer, I think I'll probably get her past them using my skelliemancer.

First I was impressed by frozen orb, that's why my first sorceress uses
it too. I retired her, because everyone uses FO, and it's probably one
of the easiest spells to use efficiently.

My second try is charged bolt/firewall build with firewall being the
primary attack and charged bolt as backup.

She has troubles to play solo. I know this from the moments when my
party members leave and all of a sudden I really have to fight for my
life, left without any support.

I like to play in teams. Unfortunately it's hard to find other players
who think alike, often parties are groups of individual fighters, not so
much teams.

Sometimes I'm lucky and I find someone. Then the games are really good.

So I wouldn't mind if I can't do the ancients all alone and look for
help. I do the same for others, if they need help. (I think I did the
ancients three times yesterday and Diablo at least three times also. But
I can say I hate it if players just leave the game without any further
comment when they asked for help first and I do the kills for them!)

> I might build another sorc, but am looking for another build which can
> solo hell. Possibly a FO (FO remains a relatively cheap wonder spell to
> get through NM with) + Fireball sorc, with static field as the Lightning
> spell... But I'm still plenty busy with getting my IK Barb though Hell
> (halfway Act 3 Hell now), and/or levelling my Stormlash-Zealot to be
> (halfway Act3 Normal now).

I always forget about static field. And I forget that sorceresses can
teleport. Too many keys, to many decisions :)

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d3gi16$69v$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

[snip]

> From that point, I just let the session develop, usually I play two or
>three different characters one after the other during one session.

Nice. I usually concentrate on one character, and only switch when the
character's stash is full with stuff. :)

>Very rarely I have plans on what to do, usually only if I changed the
>difficulty level and face a quest boss who needs to be killed. But
>except for Baal there are usually many games of players with the same
>goal so it's fairly easy to get that problem solved :)

Also, I usually play a character to quest/level up, in other words, get
'forward' in the game. Maybe I should look for games like you describe,
but due to the generic low IQ of B.Net players, my experiences with public
games has been not to good. It's probably even worse than Trade Games,
because that's where you expect people to appear who have a modest idea of
what communication is...

>The fire traps have two benefits: the waves are fired in a fast sequence
>and have good area coverage. I once tried to calculate damage per time
>and I think the fire traps are comparable to the lightning traps in that
>aspect.

What does the Character screen say about the damage it deals?

>Lightning traps are better against bosses, I think, because they hit
>single target better. I don't have much experience with that yet, so
>maybe I'm wrong here.

I really don't know. I just started a Lightning Trapsin because people
said the lightning traps dealt most of the damage. When we meet again, we
could exchange some damage numbers to see how the traps work out,
according to the game in any case. :)

>> Like I said in-game, I'm quite a packrat, and the IK Barb still has quite
>> a lot of charms in his inventory.
>
>My bowazon also carries a lot of charms. It's hard to find a good
>balance between free space and support charms.

Yeah, I notice every char I have ends up with about 3 x 4 free spaces of
inventory space. Now that I think about it more, several of my barb's
slots are taken up by Barb Skillers I couldn't get rid of. At least 1 or 2
warcries skillers, and 1 or 2 combat skillers. Difficult to get rid of
these... :)

>I noticed that, and tried to see if I find some jewels that I won't use,
>to give them to you. But I found only one in my stash. I had also sold
>off all the lower rings previously, so I couldn't give you anything.

Well, if you sell any jewels and rings you find, feel free to give them to
me, I'll even give you some gold for 'em. ;)

>If you play in open games with a bigger parties, you loose them just too
>often this way. Until your are back they are elsewhere already and you
>find yourself just trying to catch up. In that case you can just run
>with them or look for another game.

Yes, one of the reasons I don't play together much: I like to play the
game in my own 'pace', which also allows me to visit town as much as I
want/like to. :)

>The Jade Talon that I had stashed and that I now can use since my
>character leveled a bit helped a lot with the resists.

Yes, it's a nice claw for a Martial Arts assassin who is short on resists,
but it's not really a claw for a trapper. :)

>It was also a gift, a very surpising one. The party just came back from
>a nightmare baal run when a sorceress approached me and told me she has
>something for me. She gave me the Jade Talon and before I realized what
>I just got, she was gone.

What you see a lot are +3 traps/+skills traps, with 1 or 2 sockets
(Larzuk), filled with +res jewels with a nice secondary mod. Also, keep in
mind trap-laying-speed is determined by IAS, not FCR, so you'd also like a
nice IAS jewel in those claws.

>> Did you get your merc levelled up a bit, can he use the Hone Sundan?
>
>After our session, and a short break, I only played half an hour more,
>and I played my fire sorceress. But I was too tired and I rather
>should've gone to bed earlier.
>
>The merc could use the Hone Sundan right away, yet the Bonehew will take
>a while. I'll probably try to level him later the day. Weekdays are
>workdays for me, I can post some messages to newsgroups in between, but
>playing is only for the evenings. And today I'll probal just play an
>hour or two, I need to catch some sleep :)

Well, don't forget to put an Amn in that Hone Sundan as soon as possible,
because the leech is what keeps the merc alive. Stick in the second Amn
and the Shael when/if you find 'em... (or feel free to experiment with
other stuff to put in the sockets. ;)

>> She's still level 1, 0 exp. So much to do, so little time.
>
>No worries. Just take care that the character who keeps the titans does
>not expire before you can try them :)

Don't worry, I will! :)

>> And if you're really, really lucky, I suppose it's even possible you
>> gamble a +3 traps/+individual trap skills claw.
>
>I'll try that every once in a while. I'm not sure if my character his
>high enough level to have unlocked the +3 skills modifier, though.

Just keep trying, as you level up, your chances will improve...

>> So when that Bonehew dropped, I thought: you can use that, especially
>> since you seem to have underused the Act 2 Merc, a lot. And a Bonhew is
>> very nice weapon for one.
>
>I must admit I never used act 2 mercs before. I did once in D2, before
>LOD was out, and the guy died after a few minutes.
>
>Since LOD and reviveable mercs the situation changed, but I didn't try
>them again.
>
>With your equipment and suggestions, I'll now give them another chance :)

They are wonderful tanks, with a very useful aura, the choice of which
depends on the character you're playing. So try to level up your Fire
Trapper's merc, and you'll see she now has a second powerful tank, which
will shield her off while she tosses the traps. Very useful!

>> You have a point, but if I do it myself, with a massively overpowered
>> character, it still feels like cheating. But if/when I can play some more
>> together with known/trusted people, I'd like to try that too...
>
>If I'm online, just give me a call. I can't help in hell, but all normal
> quests and a good part of nightmare should be doable.
>
>In a few weeks, I might be able to help in hell as well :)

Well, feel free to further play the trapper, though I'm afraid my IK Barb
will push on to the end of hell pretty soon.

Maybe I can overtake the trapper with my Fanatic Zealot, so we can do some
levelling/questing together.

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d3gi16$69v$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
> [snip]
>
>>From that point, I just let the session develop, usually I play two or
>>three different characters one after the other during one session.
>
> Nice. I usually concentrate on one character, and only switch when the
> character's stash is full with stuff. :)

Probably it's better to stick with the same character. I think I'm just
trying to do everything at the same time, yet doing nothing properly.

OTOH the gamemis meant to be fun, and as long as that's the case it's ok :)

>>Very rarely I have plans on what to do, usually only if I changed the
>>difficulty level and face a quest boss who needs to be killed. But
>>except for Baal there are usually many games of players with the same
>>goal so it's fairly easy to get that problem solved :)
>
> Also, I usually play a character to quest/level up, in other words, get
> 'forward' in the game. Maybe I should look for games like you describe,
> but due to the generic low IQ of B.Net players, my experiences with public
> games has been not to good.

Yesterday I had bad luck. I wanted to go for Diablo in nightmare and
joined a game that seemed appropriate. But the people were going for the
hellforge quests, and just when I arrived at the river of flames, they
completed the quest. I didn't even see a gem or rune :(

So I definitely spoiled this quest and the reward by my playing style.

> It's probably even worse than Trade Games,
> because that's where you expect people to appear who have a
> modest idea of what communication is...

>>The fire traps have two benefits: the waves are fired in a fast sequence
>>and have good area coverage. I once tried to calculate damage per time
>>and I think the fire traps are comparable to the lightning traps in that
>>aspect.
>
> What does the Character screen say about the damage it deals?

I don't remember the numbers. I'm in the office right now, so I can't
take a look.

>>Lightning traps are better against bosses, I think, because they hit
>>single target better. I don't have much experience with that yet, so
>>maybe I'm wrong here.
>
> I really don't know. I just started a Lightning Trapsin because people
> said the lightning traps dealt most of the damage.

Damage comparisions are difficult. Poison kills slowly, cold damage
freezes the target. Some attacks/spells have area effects, other are
rather punctual.

Somehow you'd have to factor in damage per time per area + bonus
effects, and even then you will have different results if you attack a
group of monsters (area) or a level boss (single target).

The WoI has higher damage numbers than WoF, but shoots slower, dameg is
dealt over time and it covers less area. It's shoots more often per
cast, so it saves mana.

From the figures it's almost impossible to tell which is better in the
game. I tried both with a former trapper, and decided that WoF is better
for me. But I still don't know what to say if someone asks me why I
don't use WoI when it's "so much better".

A drawback might be the high mana consumption that I have. WoF isn't
very efficient in damage per mana. So I have to spend attribute points
on energy, while other players can spend them on life, dex or str.

If all this should be considered, I'm really out of wits to say which
will be the "strongest" trapper.

> When we meet again, we
> could exchange some damage numbers to see how the traps work out,
> according to the game in any case. :)

Playing and trying seems to be the only way to get an impression of what
works and what not.

OTOH if it turns out not to work in later stages of the game, you have
your character screwed already, and probably can't repair it.

>>>Like I said in-game, I'm quite a packrat, and the IK Barb still has quite
>>>a lot of charms in his inventory.
>>
>>My bowazon also carries a lot of charms. It's hard to find a good
>>balance between free space and support charms.
>
> Yeah, I notice every char I have ends up with about 3 x 4 free spaces of
> inventory space. Now that I think about it more, several of my barb's
> slots are taken up by Barb Skillers I couldn't get rid of. At least 1 or 2
> warcries skillers, and 1 or 2 combat skillers. Difficult to get rid of
> these... :)

3x4 is big enough to carry a few items that you have picked up. You need
to travel to town often this way, but you are stronger in fights. Most
likely you found the best balance for your playing style.

I often live with a little less of free space, so you're not the only
packarat in this game :)

I think right now only one of my chars has 3x4 free space, although I
tried to 'clean up' seriously :)

I need a few mules, I guess.

>>I noticed that, and tried to see if I find some jewels that I won't use,
>>to give them to you. But I found only one in my stash. I had also sold
>>off all the lower rings previously, so I couldn't give you anything.
>
> Well, if you sell any jewels and rings you find, feel free to give them to
> me, I'll even give you some gold for 'em. ;)

The biggest problem is keeping them until we meet. I can't mule as
easily as you can, I only own one copy of D2, and so I have to drop
everything, leave the game, change the char and join again. If I get a
realm down the items are lost, and sometimes games just vanish, and the
items are gone also.

Nothing serious was lost so far, but I wouldn't try to mule my more
valuable items this way.

>>If you play in open games with a bigger parties, you loose them just too
>>often this way. Until your are back they are elsewhere already and you
>>find yourself just trying to catch up. In that case you can just run
>>with them or look for another game.
>
> Yes, one of the reasons I don't play together much: I like to play the
> game in my own 'pace', which also allows me to visit town as much as I
> want/like to. :)

Some of the less popular quests I do alone, but just because noone joins
the games. Usually I'm happy once I completed the quests and play
together with other people again.

Act 3 seems to consist only of Travical in the mind of most players. I
almost never saw someone questing for Lam Esens tome, although it gives
5 attribute points?

>>The Jade Talon that I had stashed and that I now can use since my
>>character leveled a bit helped a lot with the resists.
>
> Yes, it's a nice claw for a Martial Arts assassin who is short on resists,
> but it's not really a claw for a trapper. :)

I'm pondering about starting a new assassin which focuses on melee. But
I have too many characters already, I should rather play them than
starting new ones all over :)

> What you see a lot are +3 traps/+skills traps, with 1 or 2 sockets
> (Larzuk), filled with +res jewels with a nice secondary mod. Also, keep in
> mind trap-laying-speed is determined by IAS, not FCR, so you'd also like a
> nice IAS jewel in those claws.

I never noticed a delay in placing traps so far. Or do you mean the
delay between placing a trap and until it starts firing?

If this can be reduced, I'd very interested in learning how :)

>>>Did you get your merc levelled up a bit, can he use the Hone Sundan?
>>
>>After our session, and a short break, I only played half an hour more,
>>and I played my fire sorceress. But I was too tired and I rather
>>should've gone to bed earlier.
>>
>>The merc could use the Hone Sundan right away, yet the Bonehew will take
>>a while. I'll probably try to level him later the day. Weekdays are
>>workdays for me, I can post some messages to newsgroups in between, but
>>playing is only for the evenings. And today I'll probal just play an
>>hour or two, I need to catch some sleep :)
>
> Well, don't forget to put an Amn in that Hone Sundan as soon as possible,
> because the leech is what keeps the merc alive. Stick in the second Amn
> and the Shael when/if you find 'em... (or feel free to experiment with
> other stuff to put in the sockets. ;)

Let me get some of those first. I once had an Amn IIRC. Currently I'm
completely out of any higher and even medium level runes.

I'll follow your advice as soon as I get hold of the runes.

>>>So when that Bonehew dropped, I thought: you can use that, especially
>>>since you seem to have underused the Act 2 Merc, a lot. And a Bonhew is
>>>very nice weapon for one.
>>
>>I must admit I never used act 2 mercs before. I did once in D2, before
>>LOD was out, and the guy died after a few minutes.
>>
>>Since LOD and reviveable mercs the situation changed, but I didn't try
>>them again.
>>
>>With your equipment and suggestions, I'll now give them another chance :)
>
> They are wonderful tanks, with a very useful aura, the choice of which
> depends on the character you're playing. So try to level up your Fire
> Trapper's merc, and you'll see she now has a second powerful tank, which
> will shield her off while she tosses the traps. Very useful!

My fire sorceress now uses one, too, and they work together pretty well.
I found a shaftstopper unique armor, which boosts him to a total of 1.3k
defense. He's definitely the best armored merc that I ever had :)

OTOH he keeps killing himself if iron maidened by oblivion knights.

>>>You have a point, but if I do it myself, with a massively overpowered
>>>character, it still feels like cheating. But if/when I can play some more
>>>together with known/trusted people, I'd like to try that too...
>>
>>If I'm online, just give me a call. I can't help in hell, but all normal
>> quests and a good part of nightmare should be doable.
>>
>>In a few weeks, I might be able to help in hell as well :)
>
> Well, feel free to further play the trapper, though I'm afraid my IK Barb
> will push on to the end of hell pretty soon.

He's in a good shape. I have no doubt that he'll adventure well. I wish
him luck for his adventures :)

Do you continue playing your characters after defeating hell baal, or do
you retire them and start new ones?

> Maybe I can overtake the trapper with my Fanatic Zealot, so we can do some
> levelling/questing together.

Maybe we meet somewhere midlevel, too. My fire sorc is currently lvl 48,
maybe she can join him for a while until he changes to hell.

> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

Reagrds,
Hajo

In article <d40hjl$kpm$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

[Mixing of traps]

>I'm currently practising this with nightmare baal runs. Just that I have
>to mix WoF and DS. I slowly understand why people say the fire traps are
>weak. They now really kick ass in normal and nightmare, but in hell they
>are still weak and my options to upgrade them further are very limited.
>
>My trapper is now level 72, I think levelling up to 80 is doable, and
>I'll put the remaining 8 skill points into FB, to get max synergies.
>
>Then I'll finally have to switch to hell and see how far I can get
>there. With help of a friend I've reached act 4, and we are about to go
>for Diablo, but preferred to boost our characters a bit before we try
>to kill him.
>
>Actually I'd like to spend some more skill points on shadow master and a
>few supportive skills like fade, but I'll wait with that until my main
>arsenal is maxed out. I have 9 skill points saved, so in total it should
> be doable to complete my build in the early lvl 80th.

Hmmm, yes, I can understand you're a bit in a tight spot. Also, there's
one disadvantage of the Fire Trap route I didn't consider yet, but you're
more or less one 'backup-skill' short compared to a lightning trapper. If
a Lightning trapper encounters a LI immune, she still has the synergized
Fire Bomb as a backup-skill, and trouble only starts when the monster in
questions is also FI.

A Fire Trapper on the other hand, only has fire, and apparantly the fire
traps indeed do relatively little damage.

Your best best is to get a strong Shadow Master (she's a wonderful tank,
and try to cast her at slvl 17 or more), a strong merc, and rely on DS to
pop the bodies...

>I did that with my second mule. But I slowly get a management problem, I
> have to much stuff stored overall.

Don't worry, you'll get more selective as to what you keep/throw away,
once you find more of that yellow/golden stuff. :)

>> And if you ever need to mule something valuable you don't want to put on
>> the ground, just give me a yell, and I'll hold it for you, so you can swap
>> in the mule...
>
>:)
>
>So far I had a lot of good luck, and didn't loose any items. But if you
>are there, I'll not hesitate to ask for help.

Yeah, feel free to do that!

>> And perhaps Fire Bomb is also influenced by IAS, or does this one depend
>> on FCR?
>
>I don't know, I use that skill very rarely, so I didn't research it as
>well as the others.

Me neither. Also, it's a backup skill, or to be mixed with other castings,
so I don't use it that much. But still, it deals impressive damage, when
synergized by a lot of the lightning traps.

>> Anyway, there's not much a trapper can do to increase the damage of her
>> traps, since stuff like lightning of fire facets will _NOT_ help increase
>> the damage the lightning/fire traps do.
>
>Yes, that's my main trouble currently, too. Having the primary skills
>maxed already and still 30% of the game in front of me seems to mean a
>hard time for my character.

:)

>I'll try that, but I guess I rather start to avoid Andariel. Although I
>see that a lot of players seem to be keen to kill her all over. Having
>so much of the game in front of me, I rather play forward than running
>the bosses too often.

NM Andariel is a wanted act-boss, because of her supposedly largest chance
of all act bosses for dropping a Stone of Jordan...?

>> Same goes for Duriel, bring some Thawing potions with you there.
>
>For my sorc, there is only hell duriel left, and it's still a long path
>there. In party games with 4 or more players, Duriel is usually not a
>real threat, unless noone has a merc, valkyrie or shadow to keep him
>busy a while.
>
>But I hate to solo Duriel. I mean sooner or later I always get him, but
>compared to the other bosses he's the toghest, at least for normal
>difficulty.

I'll talk to you again after you've solo-encounter the Hell Ancients with
your sorc. :)

But yes, Duriel's a tough cookie, but doable, especially if you have a
strong merc.

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d40hjl$kpm$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
> [Mixing of traps]

>>Actually I'd like to spend some more skill points on shadow master and a
>>few supportive skills like fade, but I'll wait with that until my main
>>arsenal is maxed out. I have 9 skill points saved, so in total it should
>> be doable to complete my build in the early lvl 80th.
>
> Hmmm, yes, I can understand you're a bit in a tight spot. Also, there's
> one disadvantage of the Fire Trap route I didn't consider yet, but you're
> more or less one 'backup-skill' short compared to a lightning trapper. If
> a Lightning trapper encounters a LI immune, she still has the synergized
> Fire Bomb as a backup-skill, and trouble only starts when the monster in
> questions is also FI.
>
> A Fire Trapper on the other hand, only has fire, and apparantly the fire
> traps indeed do relatively little damage.
>
> Your best best is to get a strong Shadow Master (she's a wonderful tank,
> and try to cast her at slvl 17 or more), a strong merc, and rely on DS to
> pop the bodies...

I hope I remember all the numbers correctly.

FB: 11 (16)
WoF: 20 (25)
DS: 18 (23)
SM: 14 (19)

The numbers in brackets are the totals with +skills from gear.
Then a few in claw mastery, weapon block, and burst of speed

I have 8 spare points currently. I still have hell izual to get 2 skill
points, and it seems dobale to level up to 80 in a reasonable time.

So I get a total of 15 additional point up to level 80, which should
allow to max FB and DS (11 points needed) and keep a few spare points or
maybe put them into shadow master. She's pretty tough already, and a
great help.

A friend gave me a metalgrid amu. A dream, I always wanted to have an
iron golem with a non-necro char, but first it requires clvl 81 and
second I don't know if the iron golem survives a switch of the amu (I
would like to change it to the +2 assassin skills amu for adventuring,
that I got from you).

>>I did that with my second mule. But I slowly get a management problem, I
>> have to much stuff stored overall.
>
> Don't worry, you'll get more selective as to what you keep/throw away,
> once you find more of that yellow/golden stuff. :)

ATM my characters work like a waterfall chain - usefulls rings and
amuletets are handed to the lower level characters when the higher level
chars find new stuff. At the end of the chain there are the mules
collecting all the things that noone else wanted to have.

I've been starting to collect jewels, amulets and rings. You said you
cube them. I'll let you know once I have a sensible collection to hand
it over. Maybe you get something good out of them.

>>>And perhaps Fire Bomb is also influenced by IAS, or does this one depend
>>>on FCR?
>>
>>I don't know, I use that skill very rarely, so I didn't research it as
>>well as the others.
>
> Me neither. Also, it's a backup skill, or to be mixed with other castings,
> so I don't use it that much. But still, it deals impressive damage, when
> synergized by a lot of the lightning traps.

It's also synergized with the fire traps, and since I have WoF maxed
and DS almost maxed, FB is currently the trap that deals the most damage
in a single shot. I don't remeber exactly, but the upper bound was 400+
damage, much too my annoyance because I wanted to have WoF as my primary
skill, which is only 200+ at this point of the game, still shoots 5
times, so 1000+ damage per cast.

So far I didn't even have FB hotkeyed, because I only put points in it
to get the synergy bonuses for the other skills.

>>I'll try that, but I guess I rather start to avoid Andariel. Although I
>>see that a lot of players seem to be keen to kill her all over. Having
>>so much of the game in front of me, I rather play forward than running
>>the bosses too often.
>
> NM Andariel is a wanted act-boss, because of her supposedly largest chance
> of all act bosses for dropping a Stone of Jordan...?

Right, I forgot about that.

>>But I hate to solo Duriel. I mean sooner or later I always get him, but
>>compared to the other bosses he's the toghest, at least for normal
>>difficulty.
>
> I'll talk to you again after you've solo-encounter the Hell Ancients with
> your sorc. :)

That's going to be interesting, indeed. I still have to do them with my
fire trapper, too.

Yesterday I tried to help a friend with the nightmare ancients, and it
was a tough fight. I ran out of healing potions and at some point solely
had to rely on the traps which did their work very slowly only.

> But yes, Duriel's a tough cookie, but doable, especially if you have a
> strong merc.

:)

I now take much more care about levelling my mercs properly. Sometimes I
even think they are more powerful than my own characters.

Thanks a lot for pointing me at the mercs! I had underestimated their
usefulness drastically.

--
c.u. Hajo

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d45ab7$6rv$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>>Is your young pally interested in a steelclash shield?
>
> If you see me on-line (probably later this evening, but I'm not sure yet),
> feel free to /w me., and I'll dig up the Bartuc's. I don't know
> steelclash, and don't have the easy means to access the Arreat Summit at
> the moment, but I'd like to take a peek at it. :)

I'll write a full answer soon. Just want to give you specs of the shield
rather quick. It's a low level unique, but IMO a nice one for young
characters:

Defense: 50-58 (varies)(Base Defense: 16-18)
Required Level: 17
Required Strength: 47
Durability: 45-50 (varies)
Chance to Block: Pal: 63%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 58%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 53%
Paladin Smite Damage: 2 To 5
+60-100% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+20 Defense
25% Increased chance of blocking
20% Faster Block Rate
All Resistances +15
+1 To Paladin Skill Levels
+3 To Light Radius
Damage Reduced By 3

It's the only item that I currently have which is useful for a Paladin.
Of course It can't match the value of Bartucs, but maybe it helps your
Paladin at least a little bit.

(Silly me, your MFing Necromancer probably finds them all over the place
- but if you don't have one yet, you get mine).

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d45p7m$tbt$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>I'll write a full answer soon. Just want to give you specs of the shield
>rather quick. It's a low level unique, but IMO a nice one for young
>characters:
>
>Defense: 50-58 (varies)(Base Defense: 16-18)
>Required Level: 17
>Required Strength: 47
>Durability: 45-50 (varies)
>Chance to Block: Pal: 63%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 58%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 53%
>Paladin Smite Damage: 2 To 5
>+60-100% Enhanced Defense (varies)
>+20 Defense
>25% Increased chance of blocking
>20% Faster Block Rate
>All Resistances +15
>+1 To Paladin Skill Levels
>+3 To Light Radius
>Damage Reduced By 3
>
>It's the only item that I currently have which is useful for a Paladin.
>Of course It can't match the value of Bartucs, but maybe it helps your
>Paladin at least a little bit.
>
>(Silly me, your MFing Necromancer probably finds them all over the place
>- but if you don't have one yet, you get mine).

*haha*, don't worry, I don't think I have this, and it sounds useful. I
currently have a rare paladin shield in the stash of the paladin, which
looks a bit like this, but he needs a few more levels before he can use
that, and this looks like something he can use immediately.

I also need to find some more 'mid-game' gear to get him through NM. My
usual choice for this is the unique Gothic Shield, forgot the name, but to
equip that I need to be ~lvl41. As for end-game gear, I'll probably
plunder my Hammerdin for my one and only HoZ. :)

Anyhow, I'll even give this back to you when I move on to something else,
and no worries about the value of this vs Bartuc's: I'd rather have you
(or anyone else) using it, instead of letting it rust on a mule...

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d45p7m$tbt$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

[Steelclash stats snipped]

>>It's the only item that I currently have which is useful for a Paladin.
>>Of course It can't match the value of Bartucs, but maybe it helps your
>>Paladin at least a little bit.
>>
>>(Silly me, your MFing Necromancer probably finds them all over the place
>>- but if you don't have one yet, you get mine).
>
> *haha*, don't worry, I don't think I have this, and it sounds useful. I
> currently have a rare paladin shield in the stash of the paladin, which
> looks a bit like this, but he needs a few more levels before he can use
> that, and this looks like something he can use immediately.

That's one thing I like among this shield, it has low requirements and
is useful a good while in the game. I hope your pally will be happy with
it :)

> Anyhow, I'll even give this back to you when I move on to something else,

Thanks, but it's definitely nowhere near urgent. I just found a third
one, so I still have two of them. Some days the random number generator
seems to be a bit whacky.

> and no worries about the value of this vs Bartuc's: I'd rather have you
> (or anyone else) using it, instead of letting it rust on a mule...

I'll sacrifice a few kills with them for you!
Maybe your necromancer will be even stronger afterwards ;)

--
c.u. Hajo

In article <d48d86$mbr$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> *haha*, don't worry, I don't think I have this, and it sounds useful. I
>> currently have a rare paladin shield in the stash of the paladin, which
>> looks a bit like this, but he needs a few more levels before he can use
>> that, and this looks like something he can use immediately.
>
>That's one thing I like among this shield, it has low requirements and
>is useful a good while in the game. I hope your pally will be happy with
>it :)

And he certainly is. I did some questing with him, yesterday-evening, and
could equip the steelclash immediately, so I could ditch the regular pally
shield I was using. Also, comparing the stats of Steelclash with the rare
pally shield I had been saving up, Steelclash also bested that, so off to
Charsi that shield went.

I finished Act 3 Normal with the pally, with no big incidents. Only
problem is that my Act 2 merc is lagging back quite a bit, and while he
deals respectable damage, he has less chance of hitting things, and gets
killed rather easily. Since he will be swapped out for another one in Act
2 NM, I don't want to put too much time in levelling him, but this is
always a tricky decision to make: do I continue without the merc, or do I
spend some time levelling him up a bit....?

>> Anyhow, I'll even give this back to you when I move on to something else,
>
>Thanks, but it's definitely nowhere near urgent. I just found a third
>one, so I still have two of them. Some days the random number generator
>seems to be a bit whacky.

Well, I'll give you a yell once I equip something else. :)

>> and no worries about the value of this vs Bartuc's: I'd rather have you
>> (or anyone else) using it, instead of letting it rust on a mule...
>
>I'll sacrifice a few kills with them for you!
>Maybe your necromancer will be even stronger afterwards ;)

The necro doesn't need much help. :) Yesterday-evening was also a rather
big muling-event; I moved a lot of stuff I found on various characters
around, including a load of pgems I traded. Rerolled a GC a few times, and
at the last reroll, just before the pgems ran out, rerolled a Barb
Warcries skiller with some secondary cold damage. Nice. Put it on the
barb, to see how the BO works out now, but will probably sell it, since
he's not a 'Singer'.

Also finally made my planned Fortitude armor, so I socketed the 5xx def
plain Archon Plate I'd been saving for this, and dumped the relevant runes
in. Got a not so good Fortitude, I think 1.0 life per level, and 26
all-res. Darn. Still a mighty nice armor, but not a thing the Zealot can
wear yet, so I put it on the necro's merc.

Now that made quite the difference: he now deals, with the Might aura
active, around 1200-6600 damage per hit. Whoa! He now one-hit kills most
Hell monsters. I might move this armour around a bit more, maybe see if I
can get the Barb out of his IK clothing, and see how he fares with a
unique setup...

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d47ut8$uc5$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>

>>IMO she doesn't. Once a lvl 92 Paladin offered to be a testing target,
>>and she barely could hurt him. Now I guess that a lvl 92 Paladin is
>>harder to hit than most monsters, yet it changed my opinion about the
>>offensive power of a shadow warrior drastically.
>
> Shadow Warrior or Master?

Sorry, I meant to say shadow master. Slvl 14 when we made the test, so
not yet fully equipped.

>>Currently she has more hitpoints than my merc, and she uses fade and
>>blade shield often so I guess she has quite some defensive capabilities,
>>too.
>
> Yep, the Shadow Master is one busy little girl. :)

I noticed that fade and burst of speed cancel each other. What a pity!

>>BTW, do you know if there is a compendium with all auras and curses
>>displayed? In 9 of 10 cases I can't figure out what the swirling below
>>and above me actually means.
>>
>>So far I didn't find something like that.
>
> I'm not sure, but it's possible the Arreat Summit gives a picture of the
> aura when describing the Paladin auras?

Yes, that's right. But some of the curses display I still could not map
to the description. It seems some of the monsters cast curses that are
not available to the player and therefore not pictured in the arreat
summit pages.

>>So far I made my decision against energy shield. I'm way too much afraid
>>of running out of mana and being void of all offensivce and defensive
>>powers at that moment.
>
> Exactly, and the reason I made the current sorc, and not an ES-based one.
> As with my necro, I believe a good offense is better than a good defense,
> and this works for about 95% of the game, except the Ancients and perhaps
> some of the other end-of-level bosses.

Sometimes I use to run in circles around the monsters, casting spells on
them, and trying to move on before they can target me. This does not
work well with the ancients, becuase they are three, but it still helps.

It feels less heroic but it works :)

[Optimizing gear, set lock-ins]

>>So you probabyl should not only try to find replacement for single
>>items, but look at the totals and find different item set that optimize
>>the total effects.
>>
>>This is very hard, there are so many combinations to consider. And of
>>course you find items one-by-one so you will have a period of weakness
>>once you start replacing the old gear but not yet have all the new stuff.
>
> Well, it's not that bad with the trapper; a nice alternative for the
> Harlequin's Crest, if it's my target to reduce her MF, would be to get her
> a nice +2 assassin skills circlet type hat.

Do you know which character level is needed to gamble for +2 skills on a
circlet?

> This might not have the
> +life/+mana bonuses of Harlequin's Crest, but might add some resist all,
> base life/mana, etc.

If you are lucky, it will :)

> I might even have something like this on a mule
> somewhere, but I'd have to dig through all of them. Again. Quite a boring
> activity. :)

I know this problem just too well. Having themed mules can help, but
sorting stuff is even more boring than inspecting some mules.

How many mules do you have?

> As for the trapper, there are probably some more options to get her less
> MF, and more durability. She's a good example of the effort of mine to try
> to put as much MF on her as possible, before I realized I lessen my
> chance, doing that, of finding stuff I am rather short of now: plain
> (socketed) items for putting runewords in.

"I want it all - and I want it now" - Queen
As so often you need to make decisions. In this case you'll have to
build two chras, one with high MF and one without.

Or, just let me play. I have inbuild -100 MF, that might compensate for
some items ;)

> The Tal Rasha sorc is just a test; I had big problems getting her resists
> to acceptable values, but I see plenty of MF sorcs running around who use
> part of the set. For instance the armor is always very wanted: plenty of
> resists, and a healthy amount of MF. Together with some other parts, it
> gives a nice bonus. And with an Occulus, some nagelrings, Harlequin's
> Crest, and some other stuff, I think I can boost the MF quite a bit more,
> while still remaining quite the offensive powerhouse.
>
> Perhaps I should try to make a second sorc, so I can experiment a bit,
> without overloading the current sorc with all the alternative gear, and
> also to put the gear I'm not using on. :)

This also gives you the chance to try another build if you want, and
depending on your mood you can play the one or other.

I've retired my second sorceress, but a while I had two, too.

>>The sets are all lock-ins IMO. Once you have it completed, it's very
>>hard to change to something else. Yet if the set matches your
>>requirements, it's better than anything else for you.
>>
>>So far I prefer setless characters. In case of my sorc this is easy,
>>since I don't like the looks of tal rashas set anyways (Crazy me, to
>>include the looks in my choice of equipment :) )
>
> I'm not too fond of the purple look either, but she sure got a lot more
> offensive 'punch' once I completed the set, as opposed to the partial set
> with Harlequin's Crest, Que-Hegan's armour, and the Wizardspike (for the
> resists). So plenty of 'tuning' to do there. ;)

I often feel very uncertain how to rate the resists. Fighter types need
them, becuase they get hit by the enemies in any case.

Ranged characters can try to avoid attacks. So I think resistances are
less important for them. If you power up the offensive abilities you
might be more successful.

OTOH with low resists you'll have to run a lot. Standing still while
facing a group of mages or archers will be deadly.

I guess I'd change the wizardspike for a rare orb with some resists and
+skills, preferrably also faster cast rate (a combination that I
couldn't find yet).

> But good that you mention it, I'm currenly 'swimming' in Puls, so I'll
> probably try to trade one of those for an Occulus. It has resists, it has
> +3 skills, so it might make it possible to swap in some other, more
> MF-oriented gear...

It gives you teleportititis. I've got one as a gift. It's great, but
sometimes I feel like a ball in a flipper - it has 25% chance of
teleporting you somewhere on being hit, and in some occasions I just got
teleported into monster groups, be hit and teleported into the next group.

It's ok, it gets you out of danger quickly, but it's confusing since you
need a second to find out where you are after a random teleport.

OTOH the Occulus has so many benefits, I guess it's well worth the
inconvenience.

--
c.u. Hajo