Crescent Moon Polearm: yes or no?

Hi,

A while back I posted here about the 'ultimate' all-round merc. One of
the thing I wanted to try was to make an Obedience polearm, to compare it
to my current favourite weapon for my Act 2 Merc: upgraded ethereal Hone
Sundan.

I wanted to do this in an ethereal elite type polearm, to make the
comparison 'fairer'.

I got my hopes up when I found an ethereal, non-socketed, Giant Thresher
in the Hell Worldstone Keep last weekend.

Unfortunately, it received 3, and not 5, sockets when using the socketing
recipe.

The only vaguely viable runeword I can put into it is Crescent Moon. For
the readers unaware of this runeword, it's vital stats:

Shael + Um + Tir

10% Chance To Cast Level 17 Chain Lightning On Striking
7% Chance To Cast Level 13 Static Field On Striking
+20% Increased Attack Speed
+180-220% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Ignore Target's Defense
-35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+9-11 Magic Absorb (varies)
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30 Charges)

So now I have a dilemma: I have all runes available, more or less (I need
to get this Shael, but that should be quite easy), but is an ethereal
Giant Thresher worth the Um I'm going to put in for Crescent Moon, or
should I wait for another opportunity (i.e., an ethereal Superior variant
of an ethereal polearm?)

If I make a Crescent Moon, which of my chars would be best helped by it?
I have: Hammerdin, Lightning Trapsin, IK Barb, Skelliemancer? Since it
has no life leech on it's own, this probably means I need leech from
other equipment...

Any input welcome. :)

Regards,

Patrick.

> So now I have a dilemma: I have all runes available, more or less (I need
> to get this Shael, but that should be quite easy), but is an ethereal
> Giant Thresher worth the Um I'm going to put in for Crescent Moon, or
> should I wait for another opportunity (i.e., an ethereal Superior variant
> of an ethereal polearm?)

well, a giant thresher is the 'best' (fastest, longest range) type of
polearm.. so why not

peace,
kyle

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:57:09 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A while back I posted here about the 'ultimate' all-round merc. One of
> the thing I wanted to try was to make an Obedience polearm, to compare it
> to my current favourite weapon for my Act 2 Merc: upgraded ethereal Hone
> Sundan.
>
> I wanted to do this in an ethereal elite type polearm, to make the
> comparison 'fairer'.
>
> I got my hopes up when I found an ethereal, non-socketed, Giant Thresher
> in the Hell Worldstone Keep last weekend.
>
> Unfortunately, it received 3, and not 5, sockets when using the socketing
> recipe.
>
> The only vaguely viable runeword I can put into it is Crescent Moon. For
> the readers unaware of this runeword, it's vital stats:
>
> Shael + Um + Tir
>
> 10% Chance To Cast Level 17 Chain Lightning On Striking
> 7% Chance To Cast Level 13 Static Field On Striking
> +20% Increased Attack Speed
> +180-220% Enhanced Damage (varies)
> Ignore Target's Defense
> -35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
> 25% Chance of Open Wounds
> +9-11 Magic Absorb (varies)
> +2 To Mana After Each Kill
> Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30 Charges)
>

> So now I have a dilemma: I have all runes available, more or less (I need
> to get this Shael, but that should be quite easy), but is an ethereal
> Giant Thresher worth the Um I'm going to put in for Crescent Moon, or
> should I wait for another opportunity (i.e., an ethereal Superior variant
> of an ethereal polearm?)
>
> If I make a Crescent Moon, which of my chars would be best helped by it?
> I have: Hammerdin, Lightning Trapsin, IK Barb, Skelliemancer? Since it
> has no life leech on it's own, this probably means I need leech from
> other equipment...
>
> Any input welcome. :)

I found an ethereal Ogre Axe a while back and thought through
the same thing. I decided that I could trade the UM
for a better weapon (perhaps an ethereal Reapers Toll). In my case, I
also didn't like the high strength requirement and slower speed on even
the ethereal Ogre Axe. Having a Giant Thresher makes it a little more
tempting, but overall I would still rather have an ethereal "Obedience"
cryptic axe, thresher, or giant thresher. In the case of the cryptic axe
and thresher, they will normally get 5 sockets from a socket quest, and
unsocketed ethereal ones seem to trade for about a Pul.

Hi,

Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in

> A while back I posted here about the 'ultimate' all-round merc. One of
> the thing I wanted to try was to make an Obedience polearm, to compare
> it to my current favourite weapon for my Act 2 Merc: upgraded ethereal
> Hone Sundan.
>
> I wanted to do this in an ethereal elite type polearm, to make the
> comparison 'fairer'.

I'm currently evaluating several merc weapons on my might merc. I don't
have any ethereal items, so I made Obedience in a normal Thresher. It does
a nice 56-662 damage and has +28 res all.
I put it on my newly trained might merc (level 75 now) with Duress in an
ethereal Boneweave (2028 def) and Crown of Thieves for the 10% life leech.
After sending out this post, I'll see how this combo does in Hell countess
runs.

> So now I have a dilemma: I have all runes available, more or less (I
> need to get this Shael, but that should be quite easy), but is an
> ethereal Giant Thresher worth the Um I'm going to put in for Crescent
> Moon, or should I wait for another opportunity (i.e., an ethereal
> Superior variant of an ethereal polearm?)

As the level requirement is only 53, that polearm would be a nice weapon
for every char going through late nightmare.

> If I make a Crescent Moon, which of my chars would be best helped by
> it? I have: Hammerdin, Lightning Trapsin, IK Barb, Skelliemancer?
> Since it has no life leech on it's own, this probably means I need
> leech from other equipment...
>
> Any input welcome. :)

I'm currently looking at different merc weapon options:

- Hone Sundan
- Reaper's Toll
- Bonehew
- Crescent Moon
- Obedience

Most other runewords for polearms are much too expensive rune-wise, so I
won't try these.
My absolute favorite is Reaper's, but I wanted to try something else..

Off to Hell to teach Obedience to these critters...

Oliver

In article <422e30da_3@x-privat.org>, ~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

[snippage]

>> If I make a Crescent Moon, which of my chars would be best helped by
>> it? I have: Hammerdin, Lightning Trapsin, IK Barb, Skelliemancer?
>> Since it has no life leech on it's own, this probably means I need
>> leech from other equipment...
>>
>> Any input welcome. :)
>
>How strange you should ask this now. I was just considering the very same
>question last night after I made a Cresent moon phase blade (Got 219% ED!
>Yay!). I'd say go for it. That static field really helps.

Well, that's another Crescent Moon I'd like to make, but possibly in a
Crystal Sword, for use by a Lightning/FO orb. ;)

As for now, I'm still not sure; an ethereal Giant Thresher is a mighty
nice polearm, but whether it's 'worth' the expense of an Um run, I'm not
sure: an Um might get me (another) nice 5 socket ethereal polearm, and
also the runes for Obedience...

Difficult call, 'evaluating' a Crescent Moon polearm was NOT on my
TODO-list, but still it's a very tempting thing to do. ;)

Patrick.

In article <pan.2005.03.08.23.33.56.293607@yahoo.com>,
Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I found an ethereal Ogre Axe a while back and thought through
>the same thing. I decided that I could trade the UM
>for a better weapon (perhaps an ethereal Reapers Toll). In my case, I
>also didn't like the high strength requirement and slower speed on even
>the ethereal Ogre Axe. Having a Giant Thresher makes it a little more
>tempting, but overall I would still rather have an ethereal "Obedience"
>cryptic axe, thresher, or giant thresher. In the case of the cryptic axe
>and thresher, they will normally get 5 sockets from a socket quest, and
>unsocketed ethereal ones seem to trade for about a Pul.

Interesting idea. I'll check Blizzard's Trade Forum to see what a
comparable ethereal polearm will cost me, however, this time one that
guaranteed gets 5 sockets, or already has 5.

Patrick.

Hi,

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in

> Oliver Wenzel wrote:

>> I'm currently evaluating several merc weapons on my might merc. I
>> don't have any ethereal items, so I made Obedience in a normal
>> Thresher. It does a nice 56-662 damage and has +28 res all.
>> I put it on my newly trained might merc (level 75 now) with Duress in
>> an ethereal Boneweave (2028 def) and Crown of Thieves for the 10%
>> life leech. After sending out this post, I'll see how this combo does
>> in Hell countess runs.
>
> I also have made obedience in a normal thresher and have similar
> damage to you. I waited forever for a suitable eth weapon and finally
> gave up.
I've found very few ethereal stuff so far. Mostly ethereal unique boots
or gloves. Currently I'm waiting for a 4-socket shield so I can make
Spirit for my barbs weapon switch.

> I also use Reaper's to the exception af all else once my merc hits lvl
> 75 *except* for with necros where I want to control what curse is
> being cast and with melee characters who are wearing Dracul's. There
> is nothing worse than watching your life-ball drop, waiting for
> life-tap to kick in, only to have it over-cast a second later by
> decrep.
yeah, I didn't mention that exception as I haven't played my necro for a
long time.

> I'm thinking I might like to try Cresent Moon in a stick, the only
> thing being it won't be an uber-elkite as the requirements are too
> high for all but the highest mercs or I have to try to give them extra
> strength *and* life leech (and maybe resists) from his hat and armour.
> A difficult task methinks.

That's the big problem with those runewords - no life leech. I'll try to
get the weapon speed up high as possible - more hits = more life leech.

Regards,

Oliver

> In article <422e30da_3@x-privat.org>, ~misfit~
> <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
> As for now, I'm still not sure; an ethereal Giant Thresher is a mighty
> nice polearm, but whether it's 'worth' the expense of an Um run, I'm
> not sure: an Um might get me (another) nice 5 socket ethereal polearm,
> and also the runes for Obedience...

the only other runeword for a 3-socket Thresher is FURY, requiring JAH, GUL
and ETH runes. I guess UM's are much easier to get than those ethereal
items, so I'd just do it.

Regards,

Oliver

> I've found very few ethereal stuff so far. Mostly ethereal unique boots
> or gloves. Currently I'm waiting for a 4-socket shield so I can make
> Spirit for my barbs weapon switch.

curious: why spirit for a barb?

peace,
kyle

"kylel4" <kylel4@nomail.net> wrote in message
> > I've found very few ethereal stuff so far. Mostly ethereal unique boots
> > or gloves. Currently I'm waiting for a 4-socket shield so I can make
> > Spirit for my barbs weapon switch.
> >
> curious: why spirit for a barb?
>
> peace,
> kyle
+ 2 to all skills for the war crys boost

In article <DkAXd.190627$K7.41718@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
custard <custards1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"kylel4" <kylel4@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> > I've found very few ethereal stuff so far. Mostly ethereal unique boots
>> > or gloves. Currently I'm waiting for a 4-socket shield so I can make
>> > Spirit for my barbs weapon switch.
>> >
>> curious: why spirit for a barb?
>
>+ 2 to all skills for the war crys boost

If that's what you, or the OP wants, you can shop +3 warcries spear type
weapons from the vendors.

I suppose switching to a Spirit shield is 'safer' than swapping in two
magic +3 warcries spears, but that's usually not the intention of a weapon
switch; you swap, do a BO-combination, and swap back to your primary
weapons.

> In article <DkAXd.190627$K7.41718@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
> custard <custards1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> curious: why spirit for a barb?
>>
>>+ 2 to all skills for the war crys boost
>
> If that's what you, or the OP wants, you can shop +3 warcries spear
> type weapons from the vendors.
>
> I suppose switching to a Spirit shield is 'safer' than swapping in two
> magic +3 warcries spears, but that's usually not the intention of a
> weapon switch; you swap, do a BO-combination, and swap back to your
> primary weapons.

I use Conc and a nice axe/shield combo on weapon switch as alternate
attack and boss killer.
It also helps against ranged attackers. And if you run out of steam, err
axes, you still can finish up that baddy..

Regards,

Oliver

In article <d0ni78$3gm$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in

>>>+ 2 to all skills for the war crys boost
>>
>> If that's what you, or the OP wants, you can shop +3 warcries spear
>> type weapons from the vendors.
>>
>> I suppose switching to a Spirit shield is 'safer' than swapping in two
>> magic +3 warcries spears, but that's usually not the intention of a
>> weapon switch; you swap, do a BO-combination, and swap back to your
>> primary weapons.
>
>I use Conc and a nice axe/shield combo on weapon switch as alternate
>attack and boss killer.
>It also helps against ranged attackers. And if you run out of steam, err
>axes, you still can finish up that baddy..

But I had the impression there are much better shields than Spirit
available of what you want is a weapon/shield combo on switc, especially
if you want to run up to the baddies and smack them on the head.

Spirit, in my opinion, is a caster shield, with the unfortunate attribute
that it needs a 4 socket shield (all of which have rather high strength
requirements.).

Regards,

Patrick.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:56:43 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> In article <d0ni78$3gm$04$1@news.t-online.com>,
> Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in

>>> If that's what you, or the OP wants, you can shop +3 warcries spear
>>> type weapons from the vendors.
>>>
>>> I suppose switching to a Spirit shield is 'safer' than swapping in two
>>> magic +3 warcries spears, but that's usually not the intention of a
>>> weapon switch; you swap, do a BO-combination, and swap back to your
>>> primary weapons.
>>
>>I use Conc and a nice axe/shield combo on weapon switch as alternate
>>attack and boss killer.
>>It also helps against ranged attackers. And if you run out of steam, err
>>axes, you still can finish up that baddy..
>
> But I had the impression there are much better shields than Spirit
> available of what you want is a weapon/shield combo on switc, especially
> if you want to run up to the baddies and smack them on the head.
>
> Spirit, in my opinion, is a caster shield, with the unfortunate attribute
> that it needs a 4 socket shield (all of which have rather high strength
> requirements.).

I think he is saying that the stuff on his weapon switch is
a compromise between an alternative attack and a war cry buff.
Getting +2 from Spirit is obviously less good than getting +6
from two echoing weapons, but its better than +0 from Stormshield,
etc.

>>I use Conc and a nice axe/shield combo on weapon switch as alternate
>>attack and boss killer.
>>It also helps against ranged attackers. And if you run out of steam,
>>err axes, you still can finish up that baddy..
>
> But I had the impression there are much better shields than Spirit
> available of what you want is a weapon/shield combo on switc,
> especially if you want to run up to the baddies and smack them on the
> head.
>
> Spirit, in my opinion, is a caster shield, with the unfortunate
> attribute that it needs a 4 socket shield (all of which have rather
> high strength requirements.).

yeah, I was especially looking at the +2 all from Spirit shield. With my
barb Delirium helmet (+2all, +2 Shout, +1 BO), swapped in +3 Warcries
ammu and that Spirit shield, I'd have +4 all, +9 Shout, +8 BO) plus my
warcries skiller.

I don't need every possible +skills point for my warcries. I'm quite
happy with my current setup which gives me about 3 minutes of BC/BO/Shout
and about 100% +life.

I'd rather put more hard skill points into Iron Skin or Natural Resist to
give me more protection when the warcries run out.. Or at least more
+masteries skill points from items or charms.

Regards,

Oliver