connecting to unsecured networks

Hi all,
When I go with my laptop to a restaurant (i.e.) (with wireless LAN) it
happens that I can see the SSID, I try to connect. It has no WEP
encryption is a Open System, so I try to connect...in fact I'm able to
connect.
The problem is that I'm not given a IP...maybe the AP is not a dhcp
server...so the thing is how can I guess the IP range and gateway...I
know the AP is a 3com, as the SSID name is "3com".

any ideas?

> The problem is that I'm not given a IP...maybe the AP is not a dhcp
> server...so the thing is how can I guess the IP range and gateway...I
> know the AP is a 3com, as the SSID name is "3com".

Ask the owner for an IP address. Have you considered that the AP might
not belong to the restaurant but someone nearby?

David.