Radeon 9700 Pretender to the throne

ianmills

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
'Radeon 9700 Pretender to the throne' ?!?!?!?
PRETENDER??!?!? What the hell!!!!!!! I think even ATI's marketing department couldn't believe that they finally bested Nvidia.
They must of been thinking 'Well... if we can't beat Nvidia, we can just pretend to be better than them!' 'Good idea Billy Bob!'

ATI should fire their whole marketing department :p

Waterdog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey man....
This isn't ATI's blunder, it is the German staff of Tom's hardware and their poor grasp of the english language. They probably meant "Contender" but got pretender instead.

Mock Snell!

J_C_Denton1

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
PRETEND to be what??
I was shocked the first time I see that name. What actually they really want to imply? I dont understand....

BTW, Extremely impressive benchmark result indeed, especially there is only tiny gap in FPS between 1600x1200 with 1280x1020 resolution. Awesome. Never see like that before in my life.

I wish I didnt buy GF4-Ti4200 a week ago :(
Ive run out of cash though but really want to buy the new ATI.
Who want to buy my GF4-Ti4200 which has 1 year warranty ?(minus a week :)

But wait!
I think the new ATI card retail price, $399, is only pretending. The actual cost is way lower than that. I will try to look it up in local computer shops as little as $10.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I think the title was done on purpose, just like the title "DDR400 Kills Rambus" when the PC1066 outperformed the PC3200. It seems that lately titles are following the staff's own bias, rather than the facts of the article.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>