Sign in with
Your question

Dell vs. Compaq

Last response: in Mobile Computing
July 5, 2004 11:46:30 PM

Im looking at more of a desktop replacement notebook, as i probably wont be very mobile with it. ive been looking at the dell 9100, 8600, and the compaq R3000T models.

ive seen on cnet.com that there seem to be many complaints about the poor quality of dell notebooks. and according to one post in this forum, dell and compaq notebooks are made by the same people. so, is there any information about whether dell or compaq would be a better choice? (i dont think my dad wants me to get one of those "Pro Star-type" notbooks.

<b> Dell </b> 1.9 ghz, 768 mb RAM
MSI GF 4 Ti 4800 SE
3dmark2001: 8536
3dmark2003: 1567
Aquamark: 16,971

More about : dell compaq

July 6, 2004 2:12:19 AM

I heard Dell customer assistance has went down this year. What do you plan on doing with your notebook? If your a gamer then with the Dell you can get a faster video card.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]
August 14, 2004 1:42:44 AM

I'm also looking at Dell... I had one before and had some problems with the motherboard a few times but they fixed it with no cost during the term of my warranty. I had a Dell Inspiron 5000e and I'm now looking at the 9100. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE OR HAVE USED A 9100?
Related resources
September 20, 2004 3:21:58 AM

Dont believe the posts on CNET.com, Dell makes notebooks differently not, and I havent had any problems since i got my 8600. Nothing in those reviews is true about my laptop.
October 2, 2004 6:02:07 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100. It's an excellent notebook. It was designed to be a P3 desktop replacement. I bought it two and a half years ago. I've had no problems with it. I'm still using the original battery.
There are a couple of differences with the new Dell notebooks when compared with an older one like mine.
My notebook was assembled in USA. Dell doesn't assemble the notebook computers anymore. They are now assembled in Taiwan where the case is made. Which means if you order a notebook with several upgraded components you may have to wait a month or more before your notebook gets delivered.
Also the support has moved to India. If something goes wrong with your notebook its harder to get it fixed.
The above probably applies to all notebook makers like Compaq, Toshiba, Acer, etc.
I'll probably never get another notebook computer. If I had to get one again I would get another Dell.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
October 3, 2004 8:33:25 PM

Dell also assemble many of their notebooks in Ireland [and Malaysia?], and yes, for inspiron owners, tech support has gone down hill severely...

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
October 11, 2004 11:53:36 PM

Inspiron 9100 is the poor-mans inspiron XPS and just like it. It is noisy, burns you lap up, and has VERY poor battery life. Would make an excelent Lan party machine.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
October 13, 2004 8:16:20 PM

I think a Sager or Alienware's 45minutes is VERY poor - the inspiron's 1-or-so-hours is not as bad - maybe just "quite" poor.

Other than that - um, yup, yup and yup.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
October 14, 2004 7:09:46 AM

Dude, and I am complaining about 2 hours on my 3 year old P3 Thinkpad, gg.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
!