Sign in with
Your question

C Compiler and IDE

Last response: in Business Computing
October 31, 2012 2:15:35 AM

Hello,
I am taking the CS50x Computer programming class. I have a Windows 7 with 64 bit. I can't code on their virtual Machine software.
I need an IDE?Compiler?
My Visual Studio doesn't have C.

Thanks

More about : compiler ide

a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 2:59:03 PM

You are taking a programing class and don't know what is needed for programing?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 3:10:14 PM

I am taking the course and running their virtual machine fine. If you don't use their virtual machine, you can't check your software against their check utility to know if it's right or not. They don't examine everyone's code, they run it through the check50 software that validates the code and test cases and you get graded on that, so not using their virtual appliance, you won't be able to check and may get a failing grade even if you code works because it fails their check50 software. The first 2 programs are only like 20-30 lines each, there is no need for an IDE. Learn to code in proper C by using a text editor, not an IDE.

To the other 2 posters, they give you a full virtual machine setup to download and run on any OS that is setup fully for the course. Just they expect you to code in gedit and not use a fancy IDE to learn on and the OP is looking for shortcuts that is going to hurt them in the long run.
November 1, 2012 3:19:51 PM

You should ask your question to your instructors/TAs or classmates.

They will tell you the alternatives, or why they wanted you to specifically use a particular environment and you shouldn't use a particular IDE.

Other people's experiences and opinions can be valid, but they aren't the one grading your work, so get the info from the source that matters for your grade.

Oh, this is the free self-pace automatically graded online course. Do whatever you want then. You get what you put in.
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 3:29:32 PM

getochkn said:
I am taking the course and running their virtual machine fine. If you don't use their virtual machine, you can't check your software against their check utility to know if it's right or not. They don't examine everyone's code, they run it through the check50 software that validates the code and test cases and you get graded on that, so not using their virtual appliance, you won't be able to check and may get a failing grade even if you code works because it fails their check50 software. The first 2 programs are only like 20-30 lines each, there is no need for an IDE. Learn to code in proper C by using a text editor, not an IDE.

To the other 2 posters, they give you a full virtual machine setup to download and run on any OS that is setup fully for the course. Just they expect you to code in gedit and not use a fancy IDE to learn on and the OP is looking for shortcuts that is going to hurt them in the long run.

Thanks for the details! Sounds like always: rtfm! :sarcastic: 
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2012 3:32:21 PM

raytseng said:
You should ask your question to your instructors/TAs or classmates.

They will tell you the alternatives, or why they wanted you to specifically use a particular environment and you shouldn't use a particular IDE.

Other people's experiences and opinions can be valid, but they aren't the one grading your work, so get the info from the source that matters for your grade.

Oh, this is the free self-pace automatically graded online course. Do whatever you want then. You get what you put in.

It's a course at Harvard that is available online for free, so there is like 50-100k people in it. They ask that you use a virtual machine setup to code, submit your work etc. Because of the 50-100k people taking it, they use an automated process to check your code, that you have access to before submitting your code. It run's a bunch of test cases on your code and captures desired output and you are graded on that. Not using their virtual setup, you can't access that and your code may be correct but fail their grading software because your ouput " 41" instead of "41" and it expects no space, and you fail because of a space, that's why using the virtual appliance is recommended. You have access to a text editor, compiler, libraries they use with common functions, submit software and checking software all in 1 appliance that can be run on windows, linux, mac, etc.
November 1, 2012 3:41:20 PM

sounds pretty good, and a standard policy.

Many cs courses emphasis attention to detail. In the real world, a typo like 1 extra space will crash the system.

They are easing you in by giving you the sanity check program.
Some courses are a bit more harsh and require you to just read the requirements and specifications or write your own testcases to validate. They may run the testing once, then only give you 24hours to fix your code for final submit (with no re-access to the testing).
!