Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can I upgrade to Windows 8?

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
September 23, 2012 6:28:34 PM

Hello, this is my existing Computer specification.

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz 44 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology

RAM
512 MB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard
Intel Corporation DG31PR (J3E1) 71 °C

Graphics
LE1922 (1440x900@59Hz)
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Hard Drives
149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AAJS-22PSA0 (SATA) 34 °C

Optical Drives
SONY DVD RW DRU-190A

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Can I upgrade to Windows 8, if all I do is upgrade the RAM to 2GB?

Thanks.

More about : upgrade windows

a b * Windows 8
September 23, 2012 6:49:16 PM

You can't upgrade directly to windows 8 from xp. You will have to do a complete wipe, and install windows 8 - you'll need to backup any data on your hard drive before doing this. You should be able to install windows 8 with just a ram upgrade.
a b å Intel
a b * Windows 8
September 23, 2012 7:09:20 PM

i would blow the dust out of your pc and check that the cpu fan is working. (71c) in temps is hot for a cpu/motherboard combo.
Related resources
September 24, 2012 5:50:47 AM

ss202sl said:
You can't upgrade directly to windows 8 from xp. You will have to do a complete wipe, and install windows 8 - you'll need to backup any data on your hard drive before doing this. You should be able to install windows 8 with just a ram upgrade.



Thank you for the info.
September 24, 2012 5:55:50 AM

smorizio said:
i would blow the dust out of your pc and check that the cpu fan is working. (71c) in temps is hot for a cpu/motherboard combo.



Thanks for the tip. The computer is about 3-4 years old and is located in a very dusty environment. And it has never been cleaned from inside.
a b * Windows 8
September 24, 2012 6:30:44 AM

You would most defiantly need to upgrade your ram and I do not know enough about intel hardware to know if your integrated graphics will have Windows 8 drivers or not.
a c 294 * Windows 8
September 24, 2012 6:49:30 AM

Would it be possible for the OP to create a fresh partition on his drive and install the W8 developer to see if it runs? Something I would try...(once the RAM is upgraded...)
September 24, 2012 4:29:19 PM

bryonhowley said:
You would most defiantly need to upgrade your ram and I do not know enough about intel hardware to know if your integrated graphics will have Windows 8 drivers or not.



The graphics card is where I have the most doubt as well.
Everything else is pretty black and white.
I'm not sure if my card supports Direct X 9 with WDDM 1.0.
Need to do a bit more research. :pt1cable: 
September 24, 2012 4:34:42 PM

dodger46 said:
Would it be possible for the OP to create a fresh partition on his drive and install the W8 developer to see if it runs? Something I would try...(once the RAM is upgraded...)


I don't know much about Windows 8 developer. Is it the same as either the Release Preview or the RTM?
It's a good idea to try before I format the computer.
Thanks for the tip.
If the developer preview works, is it certain that the OS will work?
a c 294 * Windows 8
September 24, 2012 5:18:33 PM

I had the developer but now have the Release Preview Evaluation copy which I imagine will be pretty much what we'll get next month. Can't see how it would do any harm to install it on a partition, I had the developer dual booting with 7 on another rig quite successfully. Best back up your data in case tho...
September 26, 2012 6:25:17 AM

dodger46 said:
I had the developer but now have the Release Preview Evaluation copy which I imagine will be pretty much what we'll get next month. Can't see how it would do any harm to install it on a partition, I had the developer dual booting with 7 on another rig quite successfully. Best back up your data in case tho...



Cool, I'll try it out. Thanks...
September 26, 2012 7:00:10 AM

Definitely you can upgrade to windows 8 but you need to first upgrade your RAM to 1 or 2 GB.
a c 294 * Windows 8
September 26, 2012 9:55:24 AM

Took a couple of days 'playing' before I got used to it, but I was having to diagnose a fault on the machine at the same time, assume that general use is straightforward, v. fast boot and program load and love most of the apps... esp news...
September 27, 2012 8:07:44 AM

conziyus said:
Hello, this is my existing Computer specification.

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz 44 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology

RAM
512 MB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard
Intel Corporation DG31PR (J3E1) 71 °C

Graphics
LE1922 (1440x900@59Hz)
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Hard Drives
149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AAJS-22PSA0 (SATA) 34 °C

Optical Drives
SONY DVD RW DRU-190A

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Can I upgrade to Windows 8, if all I do is upgrade the RAM to 2GB?

Thanks.


You can't upgrade to Win 8 in the existing system configuration. Win 7 requires at least 1 GB RAM and you are not carrying even that configuration. Upgrade to minimum 2 GB RAM.
!