Microsoft Finally Pushing IE6 Users to Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm gonna send this article to our IT guy right now. I've been nagging him to let us upgrade because explorer 6.0 does not allow tabbed browsing. Having multiple windows open everywhere on a little work provided 15" CRT drives me crazy. I don't think that's asking too much.

nekoangel

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
On the corporate side, many corporations will not upgrade due to them not wanting to update their own websites and software that may not be compatible with newer browsers. Same reason goes for how many are using windows xp.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]..i guess people just don't feel like messing with other browsers.[/citation]
suckers

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I like IE because when I click on the icon it loads immediatly where firefox I have to wait. Toss up between the two but I do have to say that after using IE7 or 8 you can't go back to 6... just no logical reason to.

[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]productivity can be greatly increased with better browsers...i guess people just don't feel like messing with other browsers.[/citation]

Personally... I just don't want any more cr4p installed.
I believe a PC should run with very few extra apps and un-needed cr4p.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I'm forced to use in active-x based web editor (from inside the browser) to configure or internal building management system. My new work laptop shipped with W7 and IE8, I LOVED IT! Sadly it was not compatible with various softwares used in-house. I'm now stuck with XP and IE6 just for compatibility. (As are many in the workplace.) I use W7 and Chrome at home though! :)

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Haha I'm on IE6 right now (at work). I believe that most of those IE6 users are corporations. Maybe thats why I haven't been able to access LogicBuy.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]Haha I'm on IE6 right now (at work). I believe that most of those IE6 users are corporations. Maybe thats why I haven't been able to access LogicBuy.[/citation]

Its true that mostly companies would be the ones not updating. I seem to remember something about internal company web pages not being compatible with other browsers or newer versions of IE. So unless IE 7 or is it 8 now? are compatible I can see some companies still sticking with 6(been a while)

I recommend people use Opera then Firefox then IE as a last resort on pages that will not load on Firefox/Opera. Why do I recommend Opera over Firefox? I just like it better :) no real reason other then that. (I have heard its slightly more secure but both seem pretty secure to me especially when compared to IE lol)

I also recommend having all 3 browsers installed, some pages just look or work better in one or another then the others.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Windows XP FTW :D
Only reason I moved to 7 is as an IT I need to know it...
What a shame, I loved XP64

IE6 works great and same goes for IE8 to my experience so far.
But Firefox should be king, specially for coders.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
as head of IT we have been at IE 8 for a while now. it only made sense because otherwise people would be bitching to switch to firefox.

the main reason that it's more of a pain and many people probably don't switch is that Microsoft still bundles IE 6 on all of there latest and greatest versions available to download on Technet. Not only that but they also exclude a TON of patches that I have to redownload for every new image I make.

Why they still bundle IE 6 on those straight from Microsoft images is still beyond me......

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I thought these statistics were a joke, until I joined college and found IT professionals here are still running IE6. No tabs! NO TABS! I thought this was just another fantasy internet article until it hit me this Fall Quarter. The most advanced and recognized institutions which breed our global geniuses are still using stone age cyber software.

:facepalm:

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I thought these statistics were a joke, until I joined college and found IT professionals here are still running IE6. No tabs! NO TABS! I thought this was just another fantasy internet article until it hit me this Fall Quarter. The most advanced and recognized institutions which breed our global geniuses are still using stone age cyber software.[/citation]
I'm in the same situation. Honestly it's pathetic. The IT department here is basically filled with Computer Science Department rejects from the late 90's/early 2000's. *I* know more than they do about current tech. It's just sad

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Microsoft shot itself in the foot when it made IE 6 as non-compliant as it could. Too many "professional" programs use IE6-only active-X controls, and most of the companies that created them don't exist anymore to update them to a modern framework. Worst are the in-house programs that no-one will take any credit for. How many payroll programs have to be run on IE6 is beyond me, but I've worked at three major companies, and all 3 require IE6 for just that purpose (in addition to many, many other reasons).

If Microsoft embraced open architectures from the get-go, it wouldn't find itself having to convince its own customers that the software that was "superior" only 3 years ago is now total crap and they need to move on.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Microsoft shot itself in the foot when it made IE 6 as non-compliant as it could. Too many "professional" programs use IE6-only active-X controls, and most of the companies that created them don't exist anymore to update them to a modern framework. Worst are the in-house programs that no-one will take any credit for. How many payroll programs have to be run on IE6 is beyond me, but I've worked at three major companies, and all 3 require IE6 for just that purpose (in addition to many, many other reasons).If Microsoft embraced open architectures from the get-go, it wouldn't find itself having to convince its own customers that the software that was "superior" only 3 years ago is now total crap and they need to move on.[/citation]
The company my dad works at actually has moved over to IE7 in the past year and all they do is make workforce management stuff. http://www.kronos.com/ It gives me a bit of hope that places are (slowly) moving away from IE6

G

These people still using Explorer 6 are most likely the same people that need the instructions on the shampoo bottle. Just another reason why the internet is rampant with virus's, and trojans. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!! Upgrade your browser its not going to kill you. By the way your waaaay overdue on your cars oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.