Confuse vs Dim Vision

My new HC Necro is clvl22.
With the precedents builds, i was using Confuse as crowd controller
and as "preventive curse" while entering a new room or area. I have
always been pleased by the effect of that curse (specially when thrown
at monsters that are using curses themselves...to see an Oblivion
Knight cast Iron Maiden on his peers always give me a small
orgasm...).
But, it seems that most of the posters here prefere to use Dim
Vision...
I would really like to understand the reasons motivating that choice.
(And, maybe, build my new sumonner differently)

Thanks

Louis

"Hmmm!" <lojo59ca@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> My new HC Necro is clvl22.
> With the precedents builds, i was using Confuse as crowd controller
> and as "preventive curse" while entering a new room or area. I have
> always been pleased by the effect of that curse (specially when thrown
> at monsters that are using curses themselves...to see an Oblivion
> Knight cast Iron Maiden on his peers always give me a small
> orgasm...).
> But, it seems that most of the posters here prefere to use Dim
> Vision...
> I would really like to understand the reasons motivating that choice.
> (And, maybe, build my new sumonner differently)
>
> Thanks
>
> Louis

The only reason I like it more is that with DV, the monsters don't really
attack at all. With confuse, you're bound to have some still after you or
your minions.

short

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:02:22 -0500, "short" <shorts@zoominternet.net>
wrote:

>"Hmmm!" <lojo59ca@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>> My new HC Necro is clvl22.
>> With the precedents builds, i was using Confuse as crowd controller
>> and as "preventive curse" while entering a new room or area. I have
>> always been pleased by the effect of that curse (specially when thrown
>> at monsters that are using curses themselves...to see an Oblivion
>> Knight cast Iron Maiden on his peers always give me a small
>> orgasm...).
>> But, it seems that most of the posters here prefere to use Dim
>> Vision...
>> I would really like to understand the reasons motivating that choice.
>> (And, maybe, build my new sumonner differently)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Louis
>
>The only reason I like it more is that with DV, the monsters don't really
>attack at all. With confuse, you're bound to have some still after you or
>your minions.

what about special monsters, like champions, and uniques and their
minions? I've found that they keep coming regardless of dim vision

On 14-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:

> what about special monsters, like champions, and uniques and their
> minions? I've found that they keep coming regardless of dim vision

The minions too? Even Confuse does not work on all monsters, but it (and
DV) should work on plain old minions unless they are posessed or
something.
To the OP, the reason I discontinued using Confuse as much as I used to is
that if the monsters do get around to killing one another you do not get
the experience. I do still use it for the same reasons you posted - crowd
control, when entering a new room/area, etc. - just not continuously
anymore, after the enemy is thinned down a bit I usually switch to amp dmg
or decrep if needed.
I think it is pretty much a personal preference, what you are used to will
probably work better for you than trying something new which might get you
killed if you get confused yourself at the wrong time.
HTH
HANDWYWTON
--
Don't Panic!

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:45:33 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
wrote:

>On 14-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> what about special monsters, like champions, and uniques and their
>> minions? I've found that they keep coming regardless of dim vision
>
>The minions too?

well, i dont know, i'm asking. One problem with the Necro, trying to
figure out what works and what doesnt, is, there is so much carnage
and uncontrollable battle on the field at any given time, its hard to
tell what is actually going on.

Of course thats kinda part of the charm as well.

Even Confuse does not work on all monsters, but it (and
>DV) should work on plain old minions unless they are posessed or
>something.

I tried DVand Confuse and got killed using it. Partly its because in
my mod, i stocked it with mucho uniques and champs and everything
else, and DV and Confuse just didnt seem to stop them from coming.

>To the OP, the reason I discontinued using Confuse as much as I used to is
>that if the monsters do get around to killing one another you do not get
>the experience. I do still use it for the same reasons you posted - crowd
>control, when entering a new room/area, etc. - just not continuously
>anymore, after the enemy is thinned down a bit I usually switch to amp dmg
>or decrep if needed.
>I think it is pretty much a personal preference, what you are used to will
>probably work better for you than trying something new which might get you
>killed if you get confused yourself at the wrong time.

Heh. Like I said. for me, its Decrep to slow them down, and try to
herd my cats into place, then ampdamage once i got the numerical
advantage.

Necro is an interesting build. To me, its more strategy than any of
the other characters.

Hmmm! wrote:
> My new HC Necro is clvl22.
> With the precedents builds, i was using Confuse as crowd controller
> and as "preventive curse" while entering a new room or area. I have
> always been pleased by the effect of that curse (specially when thrown
> at monsters that are using curses themselves...to see an Oblivion
> Knight cast Iron Maiden on his peers always give me a small
> orgasm...).
> But, it seems that most of the posters here prefere to use Dim
> Vision...
> I would really like to understand the reasons motivating that choice.
> (And, maybe, build my new sumonner differently)

All AI curses (ie those on the left side, including DM, Confuse,
Attract, and Seduction) DO NOT work on Bosses, Champions, Obvilion
Knights, Suicide bombers, Petrid Defilers, stationary monsters
(Catapult, towers, etc), and human.

Bing
(Well, seduction may work on human, depending on skill level and
target player's resistance)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:38:28 -0500, Bingain <bingain@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hmmm! wrote:
>> My new HC Necro is clvl22.
>> With the precedents builds, i was using Confuse as crowd controller
>> and as "preventive curse" while entering a new room or area. I have
>> always been pleased by the effect of that curse (specially when thrown
>> at monsters that are using curses themselves...to see an Oblivion
>> Knight cast Iron Maiden on his peers always give me a small
>> orgasm...).
>> But, it seems that most of the posters here prefere to use Dim
>> Vision...
>> I would really like to understand the reasons motivating that choice.
>> (And, maybe, build my new sumonner differently)
>
>All AI curses (ie those on the left side, including DM, Confuse,
>Attract, and Seduction) DO NOT work on Bosses, Champions, Obvilion
>Knights, Suicide bombers, Petrid Defilers, stationary monsters
>(Catapult, towers, etc), and human.
>

>Bing
>(Well, seduction may work on human, depending on skill level and
>target player's resistance)

One reason I put a few points into Mind Blast with my Assassin...that
does work against most of the major creatures and minions as well as
stopping the bosses from attacking. It's also great to use in a party
which is what I usually get asked for help in these days against
annoying creatures like the undead stygian dolls. Confuse just doesn't
cut it in IMO...

$$