Need help with running my GeForce 4200 properly

seanb

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
I bought a Dell awhile back, and a few weeks ago I decided to upgrade it. So I went to the store and bought a VisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4200. I took out my old GeForce 2 MX and installed the new one with little problems... except one thing:

I believe it's running in "PCI Mode" for some reason.

And because of this, it's not running as fast as it should.

Under Display Properties > NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 Properties > GeForce Ti 4200 it lists the Bus Type as "AGP (PCI mode)"
Graphics Processor: XXX
--->Bus Type: AGP (PCI mode)<----
BIOS Version: 4.25.00.28
On-Board Memory: XXX
Etc.

I mean, shouldn't it just be AGP? I talked to someone else about this on the Dell boards, and they said something is wrong. This, added to the fact that the performance boost from my new card isn't that great compared to my old one, I'm thinking that something is wrong here.

Also, under Additional GeForce Properties, under Direct3D Settings and OpenGL Settings, it gives me the option of using X amount of "MB of system memory for textures in PCI mode." The default setting is 5 here. Something seems definitely wrong here.

I have the newest NVIDIA drivers. I made sure that my video primary in my BIOS is AGP. I've tried installing the drivers 15 different ways. I just don't know how to fix this damn problem.

I also have some hardware on my device manager that is unknown, so I just keep it disabled. After the first time I reformatted my HD and reinstalled Windows, I've had this device that is unknown. Does anyone know how I can find out what it is? Could this be part of my problem? And even if it is, why didn't I have this problem with my GeForce 2? I have Windows ME, in case this helps.

PLEASE HELP! (This is my first time posting here, and I wish I would've done it sooner. It seems like you guys know your stuff.)

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
two things, when you said you 'bought a while back', when exactly did you buy it. if its relatively new, then did you check to see if your board supports agp 4x mode?

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

Latest posts