Anything to choose between DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW?

I've just bought a Precision M70 with the all-format DVD writer.

I was wondering whether there is any advantage of choosing one type
of writable DVD over another? Have others had better results with +R
or -R, and with +RW or -RW? What about compatibility with standard
DVD players for TVs?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

    In my experience, reasonably new players will play both +R and -R.

    I buy by price.

    Tom
    "Tony Mountifield" <tony@softins.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I've just bought a Precision M70 with the all-format DVD writer.
    >
    > I was wondering whether there is any advantage of choosing one type
    > of writable DVD over another? Have others had better results with +R
    > or -R, and with +RW or -RW? What about compatibility with standard
    > DVD players for TVs?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice
    >
    > Cheers
    > Tony
    > --
    > Tony Mountifield
    > Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
    > Play: tony@mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org

    It's probably best to check compatibility with your DVD player first, by
    checking user manuals etc. You don't want to go and buy a whole pack of
    blank discs only to find that you can only play them on your PC.

    I bought a cheap player from Asda here in the UK about six months ago and it
    only plays -Rs, not +Rs.

    Steven Thompson

    > In my experience, reasonably new players will play both +R and -R.
    >
    > I buy by price.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Tony Mountifield" <tony@softins.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> I've just bought a Precision M70 with the all-format DVD writer.
    >>
    >> I was wondering whether there is any advantage of choosing one type
    >> of writable DVD over another? Have others had better results with +R
    >> or -R, and with +RW or -RW? What about compatibility with standard
    >> DVD players for TVs?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Tony
    >> --
    >> Tony Mountifield
    >> Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
    >> Play: tony@mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org

    Worse yet, one of my clients bought some blank DVD-Rs to burn some on his
    computer. Turns out they were not compatible with the burner, a slightly older
    one. I swapped some other media with my client, and all was well.

    My impression is that the DVD specifications have changed rapidly in the last
    two years, leading to lots of mismatches between drive and media. Low prices
    geared more for the mass market for DVD-RW drives is hope that the whole DVD
    arena has settled down... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:50:44 GMT, "Steven Thompson"
    <sjthompson@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >It's probably best to check compatibility with your DVD player first, by
    >checking user manuals etc. You don't want to go and buy a whole pack of
    >blank discs only to find that you can only play them on your PC.
    >
    >I bought a cheap player from Asda here in the UK about six months ago and it
    >only plays -Rs, not +Rs.
    >
    >Steven Thompson
    >

    >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >> In my experience, reasonably new players will play both +R and -R.
    >>
    >> I buy by price.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> "Tony Mountifield" <tony@softins.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> I've just bought a Precision M70 with the all-format DVD writer.
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering whether there is any advantage of choosing one type
    >>> of writable DVD over another? Have others had better results with +R
    >>> or -R, and with +RW or -RW? What about compatibility with standard
    >>> DVD players for TVs?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any advice
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Tony