Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Anything to choose between DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:51:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I've just bought a Precision M70 with the all-format DVD writer.

I was wondering whether there is any advantage of choosing one type
of writable DVD over another? Have others had better results with +R
or -R, and with +RW or -RW? What about compatibility with standard
DVD players for TVs?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
Play: tony@mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org

More about : choose dvd dvd dvd dvd

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:02:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In my experience, reasonably new players will play both +R and -R.

I buy by price.

Tom
"Tony Mountifield" <tony@softins.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D comch$eem$1@softins.clara.co.uk...
> I've just bought a Precision M70 with the all-format DVD writer.
>
> I was wondering whether there is any advantage of choosing one type
> of writable DVD over another? Have others had better results with +R
> or -R, and with +RW or -RW? What about compatibility with standard
> DVD players for TVs?
>
> Thanks for any advice
>
> Cheers
> Tony
> --
> Tony Mountifield
> Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
> Play: tony@mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:50:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It's probably best to check compatibility with your DVD player first, by
checking user manuals etc. You don't want to go and buy a whole pack of
blank discs only to find that you can only play them on your PC.

I bought a cheap player from Asda here in the UK about six months ago and it
only plays -Rs, not +Rs.

Steven Thompson



"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:_PTHe.30716$iG6.16525@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> In my experience, reasonably new players will play both +R and -R.
>
> I buy by price.
>
> Tom
> "Tony Mountifield" <tony@softins.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D comch$eem$1@softins.clara.co.uk...
>> I've just bought a Precision M70 with the all-format DVD writer.
>>
>> I was wondering whether there is any advantage of choosing one type
>> of writable DVD over another? Have others had better results with +R
>> or -R, and with +RW or -RW? What about compatibility with standard
>> DVD players for TVs?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tony
>> --
>> Tony Mountifield
>> Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
>> Play: tony@mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org
>
>
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:20:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Worse yet, one of my clients bought some blank DVD-Rs to burn some on his
computer. Turns out they were not compatible with the burner, a slightly older
one. I swapped some other media with my client, and all was well.

My impression is that the DVD specifications have changed rapidly in the last
two years, leading to lots of mismatches between drive and media. Low prices
geared more for the mass market for DVD-RW drives is hope that the whole DVD
arena has settled down... Ben Myers

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:50:44 GMT, "Steven Thompson"
<sjthompson@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>It's probably best to check compatibility with your DVD player first, by
>checking user manuals etc. You don't want to go and buy a whole pack of
>blank discs only to find that you can only play them on your PC.
>
>I bought a cheap player from Asda here in the UK about six months ago and it
>only plays -Rs, not +Rs.
>
>Steven Thompson
>
>
>
>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>news:_PTHe.30716$iG6.16525@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> In my experience, reasonably new players will play both +R and -R.
>>
>> I buy by price.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Tony Mountifield" <tony@softins.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:D comch$eem$1@softins.clara.co.uk...
>>> I've just bought a Precision M70 with the all-format DVD writer.
>>>
>>> I was wondering whether there is any advantage of choosing one type
>>> of writable DVD over another? Have others had better results with +R
>>> or -R, and with +RW or -RW? What about compatibility with standard
>>> DVD players for TVs?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Tony
>>> --
>>> Tony Mountifield
>>> Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
>>> Play: tony@mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org
>>
>>
>
>
!