Range increase with 802.11g??

My signal currently barely reaches the basement where I often use my
laptop and is frequently unusable. The router is an old 802.11b
Belkin model that has permanent antenna, nor do they sell a repeater
that I can find. Running a hard line to the basement is also not an
option.

Netgear advertises on their new 108mbps router that it increases the
range as well as the rate. Looking to see if that would fix my
problem. Don't really need the rate (although it would be nice at
times), but I do need a more reliable signal that doesn't force me to
constantly fiddle with the laptop position to get a good signal.

Comments, experiences, opinions, etc... would be greatly appreciated.
They are on sale this week at CompUSA and I would like to make up my
mind before the sale is over.

Thanks in advance!

AFJ

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:44:56 -0400, Air Force Jayhawk wrote:

> My signal currently barely reaches the basement where I often use my
> laptop and is frequently unusable. The router is an old 802.11b
> Belkin model that has permanent antenna, nor do they sell a repeater
> that I can find. Running a hard line to the basement is also not an
> option.
>
> Netgear advertises on their new 108mbps router that it increases the
> range as well as the rate. Looking to see if that would fix my
> problem. Don't really need the rate (although it would be nice at
> times), but I do need a more reliable signal that doesn't force me to
> constantly fiddle with the laptop position to get a good signal.
>
> Comments, experiences, opinions, etc... would be greatly appreciated.
> They are on sale this week at CompUSA and I would like to make up my
> mind before the sale is over.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> AFJ

Before you buy another one, have you tried setting the antenna
horizontally? That would send more signal downward. You could also put one
of those do-it-yourself reflectors behind the antenna to reflect the upward
half of the signal back downward with the other half.

--
Barry

Todd

> Comments, experiences, opinions, etc... would be greatly appreciated.
> They are on sale this week at CompUSA and I would like to make up my
> mind before the sale is over.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> AFJ

I've had good luck with the Linksys BEFW11S4 and their signal booster.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 04:50:05 -0400, "Todd" <leupi@comcast.net> wrote:

>I've had good luck with the Linksys BEFW11S4 and their signal booster.

Is the booster a seperate pice of hardware?

"Air Force Jayhawk" <airforcejayhawk@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My signal currently barely reaches the basement where I often use my
> laptop and is frequently unusable. The router is an old 802.11b
> Belkin model that has permanent antenna, nor do they sell a repeater
> that I can find. Running a hard line to the basement is also not an
> option.
>
> Netgear advertises on their new 108mbps router that it increases the
> range as well as the rate. Looking to see if that would fix my
> problem. Don't really need the rate (although it would be nice at
> times), but I do need a more reliable signal that doesn't force me to
> constantly fiddle with the laptop position to get a good signal.
>
> Comments, experiences, opinions, etc... would be greatly appreciated.
> They are on sale this week at CompUSA and I would like to make up my
> mind before the sale is over.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> AFJ

Belkin's G Access-Point will work as a repeater. I don't know if their B
APs will do the same.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

I had the same with a belkin (802.11b) - I then wanted to use the 54Mb and
decided to go for a draytek and that also solved all coverage in the house -
draytek also do bigger size antennas so that might be a helping factor
although I stuck with the default size. (the only thing is I am not in a
basement - my house is on the 3 floors so I have the router in the middle,
that accommodates all floors as well as garden)

Jamie

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> "Air Force Jayhawk" <airforcejayhawk@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > My signal currently barely reaches the basement where I often use my
> > laptop and is frequently unusable. The router is an old 802.11b
> > Belkin model that has permanent antenna, nor do they sell a repeater
> > that I can find. Running a hard line to the basement is also not an
> > option.
> >
> > Netgear advertises on their new 108mbps router that it increases the
> > range as well as the rate. Looking to see if that would fix my
> > problem. Don't really need the rate (although it would be nice at
> > times), but I do need a more reliable signal that doesn't force me to
> > constantly fiddle with the laptop position to get a good signal.
> >
> > Comments, experiences, opinions, etc... would be greatly appreciated.
> > They are on sale this week at CompUSA and I would like to make up my
> > mind before the sale is over.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > AFJ
>
> Belkin's G Access-Point will work as a repeater. I don't know if their B
> APs will do the same.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

TRENDING THREADS