Sign in with
Your question

Having problems with search and index

Last response: in Windows 7
July 29, 2010 11:11:29 PM

Hello,
Like many my search in win 7 is not producing file results. I cannot even type in regedit.exe (return) and get a response. I rebuilt my index and during rebuild I noticed the os c:\ has excluded files. I only have two locations that can be selected which is start menu and the os c:\ in the indexing options box. The files that are excluded are .jagex_cache_32_; adobeacro;Dell; Program Files (x86); Program Files; ProgramData; Data;Scenes;SmartDraw 2010; Default;AppData;AppData;Windows. I haven't made changes to system in anyway to exclude these items. Can anyone tell me how to remove the excluded items from the Indexing Options window. I think it might fix the search problem since it is not searching programs. Any help appreciated.

More about : problems search index

July 30, 2010 1:05:41 PM

do:
control panel(top right click to see in small icons) choose- indexing options.
in that, click modify - put check marks next to all that are excluded.
m
l
July 30, 2010 3:18:27 PM

Thank you bobalazs. I did find where I could changed selected locations. When I chose the programs I most frequently use, the index started rebuilding and the last count was over 200,000 and still counting. I clicked items back off and rebuilt the index and still it does not work. This is so frustrating. I cannot even type "cmd" in the search. Microsoft says to remove a Hkey user file, but I am concerned this person that keeps telling this to people doesn't quite understand the full blown problem. Microsoft also has a hot fix, but it did not fix the problem. Unfortunately, I cannot remember when I started having this problem. I really don't want to re-install win 7.
m
l
July 30, 2010 4:23:09 PM

regedit and cmd is in the windows directory, so if that still dont pop up in the search box, then windows folder is still not included in the search.
m
l
!