Getting past Duriell part 2

After many postings on this subject and with considerable help from
the community on this NG I killed Duriell last night. It took me at
least two weeks, and it was the hardest level on any game I've ever
played.
I did it by raising 4 skellies, 2 mages, 1 Iron Golem and one merc. I
cast a TP the moment I got into the tomb, and watched carefully as my
minions did their stuff, at the same time giving him lots of Bone
Arrow and keeping my finger on the hot key to give me mana and life.
The moment the last minion bit the dust I got the hell out of there
back to town and raised more minions and purchased more mana and life.
Three times I did that, and got him on the last trip. So thanks, and
now for the next level. I hope there's nothing too difficult in the
immediate future. It's a great game. Thanks everyone, I'm very
grateful.
-
Peter James
Remove AT to reply

P F James

Thats great to here
I would have to say he is probly the hardest boss as there is nowhere in the
room to hide. the rest of the bosses attact harder and faster but the is
allways some where for the little necros to hide (atleast thats what i do)
Good luck and great hunting

"Peter James" <pfjames@clara.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> After many postings on this subject and with considerable help from
> the community on this NG I killed Duriell last night. It took me at
> least two weeks, and it was the hardest level on any game I've ever
> played.
> I did it by raising 4 skellies, 2 mages, 1 Iron Golem and one merc. I
> cast a TP the moment I got into the tomb, and watched carefully as my
> minions did their stuff, at the same time giving him lots of Bone
> Arrow and keeping my finger on the hot key to give me mana and life.
> The moment the last minion bit the dust I got the hell out of there
> back to town and raised more minions and purchased more mana and life.
> Three times I did that, and got him on the last trip. So thanks, and
> now for the next level. I hope there's nothing too difficult in the
> immediate future. It's a great game. Thanks everyone, I'm very
> grateful.
> -
> Peter James
> Remove AT to reply
>
> P F James

why didnt you use boneprison ?? and hit him with bonespirit it dies so
quickly being busy with the prison you have time to hit him over and over
again even on hell level its peace of cake that way

greetzzzzzzzz rudi

Diane

Peter James <pfjames@clara.co.uk> wrote in

> After many postings on this subject and with considerable help from
> the community on this NG I killed Duriell last night. It took me at
> least two weeks, and it was the hardest level on any game I've ever
> played.
> I did it by raising 4 skellies, 2 mages, 1 Iron Golem and one merc. I
> cast a TP the moment I got into the tomb, and watched carefully as my
> minions did their stuff, at the same time giving him lots of Bone
> Arrow and keeping my finger on the hot key to give me mana and life.
> The moment the last minion bit the dust I got the hell out of there
> back to town and raised more minions and purchased more mana and life.
> Three times I did that, and got him on the last trip. So thanks, and
> now for the next level. I hope there's nothing too difficult in the
> immediate future. It's a great game. Thanks everyone, I'm very
> grateful.
> -
> Peter James
> Remove AT to reply
>
> P F James

Well done Peter. Everyone has their own method of attacking the big
bosses, but this method seems to have worked for you, so that's all
that's important. You deserve to feel proud. I know it took you a
while for this accomplishment, so now you can put it behind you and
move forward. There's so much more ahead that you'll enjoy.

Once again, congrats. Forward ho!!!

Diane

Watchman

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

Peter James wrote:

> After many postings on this subject and with considerable help from
> the community on this NG I killed Duriell last night. It took me at
> least two weeks, and it was the hardest level on any game I've ever
> played.
> I did it by raising 4 skellies, 2 mages, 1 Iron Golem and one merc. I
> cast a TP the moment I got into the tomb, and watched carefully as my
> minions did their stuff, at the same time giving him lots of Bone
> Arrow and keeping my finger on the hot key to give me mana and life.
> The moment the last minion bit the dust I got the hell out of there
> back to town and raised more minions and purchased more mana and life.
> Three times I did that, and got him on the last trip. So thanks, and
> now for the next level. I hope there's nothing too difficult in the
> immediate future. It's a great game. Thanks everyone, I'm very
> grateful.
> -

Now you can look forward to Diablo himself who is usually instant death
to minions.

Watchman :)
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:00:59 +0000, Peter James <pfjames@clara.co.uk>
wrote:

>After many postings on this subject and with considerable help from
>the community on this NG I killed Duriell last night. It took me at
>least two weeks, and it was the hardest level on any game I've ever
>played.
>I did it by raising 4 skellies, 2 mages, 1 Iron Golem and one merc. I
>cast a TP the moment I got into the tomb, and watched carefully as my
>minions did their stuff, at the same time giving him lots of Bone
>Arrow and keeping my finger on the hot key to give me mana and life.
>The moment the last minion bit the dust I got the hell out of there
>back to town and raised more minions and purchased more mana and life.
>Three times I did that, and got him on the last trip. So thanks, and
>now for the next level. I hope there's nothing too difficult in the
>immediate future. It's a great game. Thanks everyone, I'm very
>grateful.

well done. Yep, he's tough, a lot of hit points, he's fast, packs a
wallop, and theres nowhere to run except back to town to drink up and
try again,.,,, and again,,,, and again

there are other methods, but, thats pretty much what always worked for
me. For me, the hardest was Sorceress, who only had a Rogue merc, and
wasnt built for hand to hand, and couldnt let Duriel even get close to
her. I imagine a Traps Assasin wouldnt be easy either.

Just wait till you get to Diablo. He'll more than likely fry your
skellies with one blast. He can take forever to kill. His death
animation is really kewl tho.

Diane

howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:00:59 +0000, Peter James <pfjames@clara.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>After many postings on this subject and with considerable help from
>>the community on this NG I killed Duriell last night. It took me at
>>least two weeks, and it was the hardest level on any game I've ever
>>played.
>>I did it by raising 4 skellies, 2 mages, 1 Iron Golem and one merc. I
>>cast a TP the moment I got into the tomb, and watched carefully as my
>>minions did their stuff, at the same time giving him lots of Bone
>>Arrow and keeping my finger on the hot key to give me mana and life.
>>The moment the last minion bit the dust I got the hell out of there
>>back to town and raised more minions and purchased more mana and life.
>>Three times I did that, and got him on the last trip. So thanks, and
>>now for the next level. I hope there's nothing too difficult in the
>>immediate future. It's a great game. Thanks everyone, I'm very
>>grateful.
>

> well done. Yep, he's tough, a lot of hit points, he's fast, packs a
> wallop, and theres nowhere to run except back to town to drink up and
> try again,.,,, and again,,,, and again
>
> there are other methods, but, thats pretty much what always worked for
> me. For me, the hardest was Sorceress, who only had a Rogue merc, and
> wasnt built for hand to hand, and couldnt let Duriel even get close to
> her. I imagine a Traps Assasin wouldnt be easy either.
>
> Just wait till you get to Diablo. He'll more than likely fry your
> skellies with one blast. He can take forever to kill. His death
> animation is really kewl tho.

For Diablo, be prepared for rings of fire. Crispy critters. But, he's
doable. Actually tho, I put my Azurewrath on switch and beat the Cwap
outta him, lol.

Diane

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:11:22 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:00:59 +0000, Peter James <pfjames@clara.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>After many postings on this subject and with considerable help from
>>>the community on this NG I killed Duriell last night. It took me at
>>>least two weeks, and it was the hardest level on any game I've ever
>>>played.
>>>I did it by raising 4 skellies, 2 mages, 1 Iron Golem and one merc. I
>>>cast a TP the moment I got into the tomb, and watched carefully as my
>>>minions did their stuff, at the same time giving him lots of Bone
>>>Arrow and keeping my finger on the hot key to give me mana and life.
>>>The moment the last minion bit the dust I got the hell out of there
>>>back to town and raised more minions and purchased more mana and life.
>>>Three times I did that, and got him on the last trip. So thanks, and
>>>now for the next level. I hope there's nothing too difficult in the
>>>immediate future. It's a great game. Thanks everyone, I'm very
>>>grateful.
>>

>> well done. Yep, he's tough, a lot of hit points, he's fast, packs a
>> wallop, and theres nowhere to run except back to town to drink up and
>> try again,.,,, and again,,,, and again
>>
>> there are other methods, but, thats pretty much what always worked for
>> me. For me, the hardest was Sorceress, who only had a Rogue merc, and
>> wasnt built for hand to hand, and couldnt let Duriel even get close to
>> her. I imagine a Traps Assasin wouldnt be easy either.
>>
>> Just wait till you get to Diablo. He'll more than likely fry your
>> skellies with one blast. He can take forever to kill. His death
>> animation is really kewl tho.
>>

>For Diablo, be prepared for rings of fire. Crispy critters. But, he's
>doable. Actually tho, I put my Azurewrath on switch a

wots an Azurewrath?

On 21-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:

> wots an Azurewrath?

A unique sword. Seems to be one of Diane's favorites.
--
Don't Panic!

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:11:22 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>>howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:00:59 +0000, Peter James
<pfjames@clara.co.uk>

>>> well done. Yep, he's tough, a lot of hit points, he's fast, packs a
>>> wallop, and theres nowhere to run except back to town to drink up
and
>>> try again,.,,, and again,,,, and again
>>>
>>> there are other methods, but, thats pretty much what always worked
for
>>> me. For me, the hardest was Sorceress, who only had a Rogue merc,
and
>>> wasnt built for hand to hand, and couldnt let Duriel even get close
>>> her. I imagine a Traps Assasin wouldnt be easy either.
>>>
>>> Just wait till you get to Diablo. He'll more than likely fry your
>>> skellies with one blast. He can take forever to kill. His death
>>> animation is really kewl tho.
>>>

>>For Diablo, be prepared for rings of fire. Crispy critters. But,
he's
>>doable. Actually tho, I put my Azurewrath on switch a
>

> wots an Azurewrath?

sword

Diane

"ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname> wrote in news:mTE%d.1038$S46.1006
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> On 21-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> wots an Azurewrath?
>
> A unique sword. Seems to be one of Diane's favorites.

It's that noticeable, huh?

"Diane" <kirchbabe1@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

>> Just wait till you get to Diablo. He'll more than likely fry your
>> skellies with one blast. He can take forever to kill. His death
>> animation is really kewl tho.
>>

> For Diablo, be prepared for rings of fire. Crispy critters. But, he's
> doable.

Clay Golem, Iron Maiden. Repeat ad infinitum.
--
Zamboni

Diane

"Zamboni" <zamboni@nospam.com> wrote in news:gvednXu_O9W8Tt3fRVn-
tw@comcast.com:

> "Diane" <kirchbabe1@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Just wait till you get to Diablo. He'll more than likely fry your
>>> skellies with one blast. He can take forever to kill. His death
>>> animation is really kewl tho.
>>>

>> For Diablo, be prepared for rings of fire. Crispy critters. But,
he's
>> doable.
>
> Clay Golem, Iron Maiden. Repeat ad infinitum.
> --
> Zamboni

Yep, that's a good strategy.

Diane

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 04:23:17 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>"Zamboni" <zamboni@nospam.com> wrote in news:gvednXu_O9W8Tt3fRVn-
>tw@comcast.com:
>

>> "Diane" <kirchbabe1@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

>>> For Diablo, be prepared for rings of fire. Crispy critters. But,
>he's
>>> doable.
>>
>> Clay Golem, Iron Maiden. Repeat ad infinitum.
>> --
>> Zamboni
>>

>Yep, that's a good strategy.

what about Decrep?

no good?

and why Clay Golem?

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 04:23:17 GMT, Diane <kirchbabe1@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Zamboni" <zamboni@nospam.com> wrote in news:gvednXu_O9W8Tt3fRVn-
>>tw@comcast.com:
>>

>>> "Diane" <kirchbabe1@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

>>he's
>>>
>>> Clay Golem, Iron Maiden. Repeat ad infinitum.
>>> --
>>> Zamboni
>>>

>>Yep, that's a good strategy.
>>

> what about Decrep?
>
> no good?
>
> and why Clay Golem?

I've been using IM, AD or DV. I'm not seeing the damage from Decrep as
I do with the others. I'm thinking the CG to last longer than the FG
which only seems to give life and mana and does practically no damage,
and IG's need the metal items which I don't always have available since
I am lo to remember to collect metal items for resurrection. Just my
approach. If an IG works for you, then that's what you should use.
Whatever works. Everyone has their own methods. The joy of the game.

Diane

On 23-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Clay Golem, Iron Maiden. Repeat ad infinitum.
> >> --
> >> Zamboni
> >>
> >Yep, that's a good strategy.
>
> what about Decrep?
> no good?
> and why Clay Golem?

Decrep can work ok with something that can do a decent bit of damage by
themselves.
Iron Maiden works good with the Clay golem because the Clay golem is so
'cheap' to cast, as well as having awesome slowdown powers.
There are many paths grasshopper, but one destination (a dead Duriel).
--
Don't Panic!

Diane

"ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname> wrote in news:UCj0e.3029$S46.1763
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

>> >Yep, that's a good strategy.
>>
>> what about Decrep?
>> no good?
>> and why Clay Golem?
>
> Decrep can work ok with something that can do a decent bit of damage
by
> themselves.
> Iron Maiden works good with the Clay golem because the Clay golem is
so
> 'cheap' to cast, as well as having awesome slowdown powers.
> There are many paths grasshopper, but one destination (a dead Duriel).

Profound.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:40:36 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
wrote:

>> >Yep, that's a good strategy.
>>
>> what about Decrep?
>> no good?
>> and why Clay Golem?
>
>Decrep can work ok with something that can do a decent bit of damage by
>themselves.
>Iron Maiden works good with the Clay golem because the Clay golem is so
>'cheap' to cast, as well as having awesome slowdown powers.

I never paid too much attention to Clay Golem. I went with Iron as
soon as I was able. I was unaware Clay Golem had any sort of slow-down
powers. I admit once i did try to use a Clay golem against Diablo, but
with maybe only one or two points into the skill, Diablo cooked his
shorts rather quickly and it seemed to not make any impression on
him... am i missing something?

Peter James wrote:
> After many postings on this subject and with considerable help from
> the community on this NG I killed Duriell last night. It took me at
> least two weeks, and it was the hardest level on any game I've ever
> played.
> I did it by raising 4 skellies, 2 mages, 1 Iron Golem and one merc.
> cast a TP the moment I got into the tomb, and watched carefully as my
> minions did their stuff, at the same time giving him lots of Bone
> Arrow and keeping my finger on the hot key to give me mana and life.
> The moment the last minion bit the dust I got the hell out of there
> back to town and raised more minions and purchased more mana and
life.
> Three times I did that, and got him on the last trip. So thanks, and
> now for the next level. I hope there's nothing too difficult in the
> immediate future. It's a great game. Thanks everyone, I'm very
> grateful.

Congratulations. I know that was a tough battle for you. I hope Durry
dropped something useful.

As for Diablo, as mentioned by other posters, make sure you have Summon
Resist. Hopefully by now you have some equipment that gives you +skills
which will raise the SR skill level hence increasing your minions'
resistances. This helps greatly against Diablo. You may still lose some
of your minions in the battle but at least your entire army won't get
wiped out by his initial Fire Nova before you can even see him.

Jill

On 24-Mar-2005, howldog <nope@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I never paid too much attention to Clay Golem. I went with Iron as
> soon as I was able. I was unaware Clay Golem had any sort of slow-down
> powers. I admit once i did try to use a Clay golem against Diablo, but
> with maybe only one or two points into the skill, Diablo cooked his
> shorts rather quickly and it seemed to not make any impression on
> him... am i missing something?

Quite a few people swear by this method, the Clay Golem (with a few points
into it) slows down the monsters and then (hopefully) your merc has some
nice killing gear that does the real damage. Yes, he (clay golem) dies
fairly easily, but like I said before, he is pretty cheap to recast, some
people keep a close eye on his health bar and when he is down to less than
an eighth or so the recast him in big D's face before he even dies so that
the ugly demon does not turn and concentrate his attack on you. Always
cast him on the other side of the demon from yourself for best effect.
Have fun and stay alive!
--
Don't Panic!

In article <2_A0e.2712$z.845@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
ArtDent <reply@usenet.only> wrote:

>On 24-Mar-2005, howldog <nope@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I never paid too much attention to Clay Golem. I went with Iron as
>> soon as I was able. I was unaware Clay Golem had any sort of slow-down
>> powers. I admit once i did try to use a Clay golem against Diablo, but
>> with maybe only one or two points into the skill, Diablo cooked his
>> shorts rather quickly and it seemed to not make any impression on
>> him... am i missing something?
>
>Quite a few people swear by this method, the Clay Golem (with a few points
>into it) slows down the monsters and then (hopefully) your merc has some
>nice killing gear that does the real damage. Yes, he (clay golem) dies
>fairly easily, but like I said before, he is pretty cheap to recast, some
>people keep a close eye on his health bar and when he is down to less than
>an eighth or so the recast him in big D's face before he even dies so that
>the ugly demon does not turn and concentrate his attack on you. Always
>cast him on the other side of the demon from yourself for best effect.
>Have fun and stay alive!

Yes, a Clay Golem is great. With only 1 point in the Golem itself, 1 point
in the Mastery, and about +10 skills from your gear, he has more than 5000
life in Hell, and slows down monsters by more than 50%. This last number
is important, because Hell Baal becomes practically immobile (no
teleporting, no casting of anything) when slowed by 50+%.

Also, I recast the Clay Golem as many times as I need. For me, it's a sort
of recastable 'decoy', with which I can lure more monsters into the Corpse
Explosion grinder.

I did cast an Iron Golem a few times, when I found yet another unique Maul
(the CB on that looked nice), but I had to refrain myself from recasting
it when needed. So when the IG finally died (and it usually died pretty
soon), I was happy I could switch back to the Clay Golem again, which I
can spam whenever I want to.

Probably a Fire Golem would work for this aspect too, but has no slowdown
effect built-in. And is probably costs more mana at the samen levels as
the Clay Golem.

Regards,

Patrick.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:40:30 +0100, Patrick Vervoorn
<patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote:

>In article <2_A0e.2712$z.845@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
>ArtDent <reply@usenet.only> wrote:
>>
>>On 24-Mar-2005, howldog <nope@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I never paid too much attention to Clay Golem. I went with Iron as
>>> soon as I was able. I was unaware Clay Golem had any sort of slow-down
>>> powers. I admit once i did try to use a Clay golem against Diablo, but
>>> with maybe only one or two points into the skill, Diablo cooked his
>>> shorts rather quickly and it seemed to not make any impression on
>>> him... am i missing something?
>>
>>Quite a few people swear by this method, the Clay Golem (with a few points
>>into it) slows down the monsters and then (hopefully) your merc has some
>>nice killing gear that does the real damage. Yes, he (clay golem) dies
>>fairly easily, but like I said before, he is pretty cheap to recast, some
>>people keep a close eye on his health bar and when he is down to less than
>>an eighth or so the recast him in big D's face before he even dies so that
>>the ugly demon does not turn and concentrate his attack on you. Always
>>cast him on the other side of the demon from yourself for best effect.
>>Have fun and stay alive!
>
>Yes, a Clay Golem is great. With only 1 point in the Golem itself, 1 point
>in the Mastery, and about +10 skills from your gear, he has more than 5000
>life in Hell, and slows down monsters by more than 50%. This last number
>is important, because Hell Baal becomes practically immobile (no
>teleporting, no casting of anything) when slowed by 50+%.
>
>Also, I recast the Clay Golem as many times as I need. For me, it's a sort
>of recastable 'decoy', with which I can lure more monsters into the Corpse
>Explosion grinder.
>
>I did cast an Iron Golem a few times, when I found yet another unique Maul
>(the CB on that looked nice), but I had to refrain myself from recasting
>it when needed. So when the IG finally died (and it usually died pretty
>soon), I was happy I could switch back to the Clay Golem again, which I
>can spam whenever I want to.
>
>Probably a Fire Golem would work for this aspect too, but has no slowdown
>effect built-in. And is probably costs more mana at the samen levels as
>the Clay Golem.

thank you both for the info. Currently i'm using Fire Golem as you
directed, i pretty much cast him to attract and lure the monsters, or,
turn them away from my Necro. I have not noticed any slowdown effect
from him at all; but then i never noticed any with clay golem either.
I may try that tonight.

Has anyone else experimented with casting Bone Prison on hi level
bosses like duriel or diablo or baal?

how does that work?

On 24-Mar-2005, howldog <nope@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else experimented with casting Bone Prison on hi level
> bosses like duriel or diablo or baal?
>
> how does that work?

Heh, not too good unless you pour points into it, one swipe of their paw
and it is gone usually. They seem to be able to 'kill' BP as quick or
even quicker than you can cast it. I did try it paired with IM a few
times but it just didn't hold up good enough for me.
--
Don't Panic!

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:39:18 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
wrote:

>On 24-Mar-2005, howldog <nope@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else experimented with casting Bone Prison on hi level
>> bosses like duriel or diablo or baal?
>>
>> how does that work?
>
>Heh, not too good unless you pour points into it, one swipe of their paw
>and it is gone usually. They seem to be able to 'kill' BP as quick or
>even quicker than you can cast it. I did try it paired with IM a few
>times but it just didn't hold up good enough for me.

thanks for the input, i've never put a single point into it and i
probly wont...

On 24-Mar-2005, howldog <nope@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Has anyone else experimented with casting Bone Prison on hi level
> >> bosses like duriel or diablo or baal?
> >>
> >> how does that work?
> >
> >Heh, not too good unless you pour points into it, one swipe of their
> >paw
> >and it is gone usually. They seem to be able to 'kill' BP as quick or
> >even quicker than you can cast it. I did try it paired with IM a few
> >times but it just didn't hold up good enough for me.
>

> thanks for the input, i've never put a single point into it and i
> probly wont...

This is not to say never to put points into BP, putting a point into BP
adds more to Bone Shield than adding a point into BS because of the
synergy. I usually put one point into BS then any more go into BP just
for the synergy to BS.
--
Don't Panic!