I'm sick and tired of ATI bashing nowadays....

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
There's more ATI bashing then ever these days. In the days of the R8500 some people bashed ATI claiming they had sub-par performance and poor performance. Some were even claiming that a Ti200 would provide better perofrmance, IQ and drivers and was superior to the R8500 in everyway. Today, I see people (not really in this community but in many others) bashing the R9700 over poor drivers and poor IQ. These people haven't even seen the R9700 in action themselves and they're already bashing it. Others are making such wild claims about IQ that I've never experienced or heard about until now that sometimes I think that they are blatantly lying.

<A HREF="http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=478882" target="_new">Here</A> is one example of this bashing.

You know I have a theory that are these problems are physiological. People hear that ATI had awful drivers and so when they get an ATI product they assume it will be bad and the first problem they run into (which may be completely unrelated to the ATI drivers) and they blame ATI.

::sighs::

You know, if I had told people that nVidia had some awful at the release of Windows XP they'd call me a liar.

Don't you find it somewhat strange that ATI's always the one with driver problems. Obviously, that can't be the case. I find it hard to believe that every single driver revision doesn't work for some people no matter what their system configuration is.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

palle

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Nvidia might become a windows of they are alone;-)
their MX have almost destroyed thier good reputation...:)

have fun,be lucky

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
my configuration is the sh***iest and oldest you could have ever heard, and yet the drivers give me no problem. I can be proof that the drivers or the card SHOULDNT be buggy...but thats just me.

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, as I said, the people here don't bash ATI much, but some people at HardForums, SharkeyForums and even Rage3D forums bash ATI the first time they encounter a problem.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
AMD MAN, its not worth getting mad about something like that. Those people are either:
1) who really DO have a problem, but they just like to insult companies
2) technologically ignorant
3) nvidia fanboys
... just let the stroll around happily, no need to get mad. they are everywhere

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
People have selective memories.

Nvidia at one point had pretty bad drivers, and they turned them around by simply releasing consistant patches for them. Each major patch claimed major speed increases over previous versions, and problems were less and less.

However, they did have problems, pretty bad ones with XP for a bit (But so did most people, so it gets excused by most). I still have problems with their reference drivers on some cards.

The other problem that seems to be happening, is that I don't think that all Direct X programs are written equaly. With Nvidia being the leaded in the 3D card market, I think some programs are taylored to do things on the Nvidia cards that may not work 100% the same way on any other card. I'll bet you'll find some of the supposed image glitches on the SIS and Matrox cards.

The Boogie Knights: Saving beautiful monsters from ravoning princesses since 1983.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Actually, there appears to be a lot of ATi support. I'd say, instead, that there appears to be a lot of strong opinions from nVidia card owners, and not without some merit.

I only have one other thing to say. I think people are forgetting how horrible nVidia drivers were. They were buggy and crash prone all the way up to the Geforce 2 series and I agree with Bront on this one. And since ATi just recently added their new driver team, I think we should give them time to straighten the bugs out.

Edit: never mind, maybe my geforce has dithering problems too :frown: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cakecake on 08/23/02 04:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
People really need to give ATI a chance this time. They've changed a lot recently. It's just annoying when you recommend an R9700 to someone and they say no because it's ATI. If the game developers say that ATI now has good drivers, then ATI is obviously doing something right.

<A HREF="http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/testimonials.html" target="_new">Link</A>

This is what Chris Taylor of Gas Powered Games has to say:

"When people see the R300 they'll be blown away, period, it's amazing"

"This is a card (R300) that we would recommend to anyone that wanted state of the art rendering technology"

"We've found that ATI has been very good to us, they've been very helpful, their driver support has been incredible, we've found their cards to be incredibly stable, so you know, clearly ATI to us is a key player in our development process."

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
<b>I'm sick and tired of ATI bashing nowadays</b>

I know what you mean, I feel the same way about VIA/ATI. VIA/ATI is getting better, but don't get any credit. It's like VIA/ATI will suck for ever or something. But I don't go around like I'm a VIA/ATI fanboy, but just think people are limiting themselves, especially if the product has been proven. I really could careless to tell you the truth, I think the only harm done is when someone is thinking of a purchase and someone spooks them into a decision. It's ok to bash VIA/ATI, but not ATI/VIA. doesn't seem fare.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?