Which shield for melee pally?

Hi,

so, my melee pally (level 83 SP), who is also known to be fiddling around
with bows and crossbows, is now looking for a nice shield. As I haven't
found a HoZ yet, I've been trying several other options.

While treasure hunting in Hell Lower Kurast - clear the area at /players 3
and then pop the chests at /players 8, I found a nice superior Rondache
with +44 res all and 2 sockets => Rhyme shield with +69 all and CBF.

I also got a Spirit shield (28/63/63/63 res) and +2 all skills.

Last runeword is a Sanctuary with +89 res all.

With 188 dex I hit 75% block on all three shields, I believe. I currently
favour the Rhyme shield for its Cannot be frozen - this leaves me free
options for helmet and armor. I still don't have a Ravenfrost ring, so my
only CBF sources are Duriel's and Kira's Guardian helmet..

So, what other shields are out there? Suggestions?

And I finally found a Monarch shield for my Throwbarb to build Spirit for
him..

Regards,

Oliver

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:05:24 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so, my melee pally (level 83 SP), who is also known to be fiddling around
> with bows and crossbows, is now looking for a nice shield. As I haven't
> found a HoZ yet, I've been trying several other options.
>
> While treasure hunting in Hell Lower Kurast - clear the area at /players 3
> and then pop the chests at /players 8, I found a nice superior Rondache
> with +44 res all and 2 sockets => Rhyme shield with +69 all and CBF.
>
> I also got a Spirit shield (28/63/63/63 res) and +2 all skills.
>
> Last runeword is a Sanctuary with +89 res all.
>
> With 188 dex I hit 75% block on all three shields, I believe. I currently
> favour the Rhyme shield for its Cannot be frozen - this leaves me free
> options for helmet and armor. I still don't have a Ravenfrost ring, so my
> only CBF sources are Duriel's and Kira's Guardian helmet..
>
> So, what other shields are out there? Suggestions?
>
> And I finally found a Monarch shield for my Throwbarb to build Spirit for
> him..

I would take Rhyme.
I almost always use Rhyme in a good pala shield until i get HoZ or get old
enough to HoZ.

--
Sonni

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:05:24 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so, my melee pally (level 83 SP), who is also known to be fiddling around
> with bows and crossbows, is now looking for a nice shield. As I haven't
> found a HoZ yet, I've been trying several other options.
>
> While treasure hunting in Hell Lower Kurast - clear the area at /players 3
> and then pop the chests at /players 8, I found a nice superior Rondache
> with +44 res all and 2 sockets => Rhyme shield with +69 all and CBF.
>
> I also got a Spirit shield (28/63/63/63 res) and +2 all skills.
>
> Last runeword is a Sanctuary with +89 res all.
>
> With 188 dex I hit 75% block on all three shields, I believe. I currently
> favour the Rhyme shield for its Cannot be frozen - this leaves me free
> options for helmet and armor. I still don't have a Ravenfrost ring, so my
> only CBF sources are Duriel's and Kira's Guardian helmet..
>
> So, what other shields are out there? Suggestions?
>
> And I finally found a Monarch shield for my Throwbarb to build Spirit for
> him..

All of your shields are very good, though obviously not as
optimal as a HoZ. It sounds like Rhyme is best for its CNBF and faster
blocking rate. I've been impressed with the wide array of gear you have
reported having in SP and find it incredible that this stash doesn't
include a Ravenfrost, which drops much more frequently than many of the
elite items you have. You don't mention whether Guardian Angel armor
figures into the options so I assume not. Also, for melee pally PvM I
favor Guillaume's Face helm, which doesn't have any resists, so if you had
that I would take that helm, the Duriels for CNBF, and use the Sanctuary
shield if you needed make up the lost resists.

Hi,

Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:05:24 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

>> While treasure hunting in Hell Lower Kurast - clear the area at
>> /players 3 and then pop the chests at /players 8, I found a nice
>> superior Rondache with +44 res all and 2 sockets => Rhyme shield with
>> +69 all and CBF.
>
> All of your shields are very good, though obviously not as
> optimal as a HoZ. It sounds like Rhyme is best for its CNBF and
> faster blocking rate. I've been impressed with the wide array of gear
> you have reported having in SP and find it incredible that this stash
> doesn't include a Ravenfrost, which drops much more frequently than
> many of the elite items you have. You don't mention whether Guardian
> Angel armor figures into the options so I assume not. Also, for
> melee pally PvM I favor Guillaume's Face helm, which doesn't have any
> resists, so if you had that I would take that helm, the Duriels for
> CNBF, and use the Sanctuary shield if you needed make up the lost
> resists.

yeah, I got an SoJ, but still no Ravenfrost. And no Guardian Angel, too.
Also, I found Guillaume's just a few days ago. But Heaven's Light
scepter, crafted gloves and GoreRiders already give about 60%CB, so I'd
prefer some other headgear.

My pally only has resist issues on his weapon switch (Obedience polearm)
and I can't use a shield there.

So, for the time being, I'll stick with the Rhyme shield.

Regards,

Oliver

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:05:59 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:05:24 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>
>>> While treasure hunting in Hell Lower Kurast - clear the area at
>>> /players 3 and then pop the chests at /players 8, I found a nice
>>> superior Rondache with +44 res all and 2 sockets => Rhyme shield with
>>> +69 all and CBF.
>>
>> All of your shields are very good, though obviously not as
>> optimal as a HoZ. It sounds like Rhyme is best for its CNBF and
>> faster blocking rate. I've been impressed with the wide array of gear
>> you have reported having in SP and find it incredible that this stash
>> doesn't include a Ravenfrost, which drops much more frequently than
>> many of the elite items you have. You don't mention whether Guardian
>> Angel armor figures into the options so I assume not. Also, for
>> melee pally PvM I favor Guillaume's Face helm, which doesn't have any
>> resists, so if you had that I would take that helm, the Duriels for
>> CNBF, and use the Sanctuary shield if you needed make up the lost
>> resists.
>
> yeah, I got an SoJ, but still no Ravenfrost. And no Guardian Angel, too.
> Also, I found Guillaume's just a few days ago. But Heaven's Light
> scepter, crafted gloves and GoreRiders already give about 60%CB, so I'd
> prefer some other headgear.
>
> My pally only has resist issues on his weapon switch (Obedience polearm)
> and I can't use a shield there.
>
> So, for the time being, I'll stick with the Rhyme shield.

I agree with you that there is *some* diminishing return on additional
crushing blow beyond a certain percentage, but there is no falloff
in the usefulness of Deadly Strike on a melee pally until you hit
100%. What are the stats on your gloves?

stormshield

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:05:59 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>
>> yeah, I got an SoJ, but still no Ravenfrost. And no Guardian Angel,
>> too. Also, I found Guillaume's just a few days ago. But Heaven's
>> Light scepter, crafted gloves and GoreRiders already give about
>> 60%CB, so I'd prefer some other headgear.
>>
> I agree with you that there is *some* diminishing return on additional
> crushing blow beyond a certain percentage, but there is no falloff
> in the usefulness of Deadly Strike on a melee pally until you hit
> 100%. What are the stats on your gloves?

well, my Pally is pulling most of his damage from Holy Freeze/Shock aura
- he started out as a Ranger.
And I get even more elemental damage with the Obedience polearm on weapon
switch and Vengeance - about 7K max damage without HS/HF aura. Add in 80%
CB and there is no real need for Deadly Strike.
Hey, and all this from 2 hard skill points in Vengeance and 1 point in
Zeal as his main attack with Heaven's Light scepter..

Crafted gloves: 20%IAS, 9%CB, 16%MF, +18 life, 2% LL

Regards,

Oliver

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:45:20 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:05:59 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>>
>>> yeah, I got an SoJ, but still no Ravenfrost. And no Guardian Angel,
>>> too. Also, I found Guillaume's just a few days ago. But Heaven's
>>> Light scepter, crafted gloves and GoreRiders already give about
>>> 60%CB, so I'd prefer some other headgear.
>>>
>> I agree with you that there is *some* diminishing return on additional
>> crushing blow beyond a certain percentage, but there is no falloff
>> in the usefulness of Deadly Strike on a melee pally until you hit
>> 100%. What are the stats on your gloves?
>
> well, my Pally is pulling most of his damage from Holy Freeze/Shock aura
> - he started out as a Ranger.
> And I get even more elemental damage with the Obedience polearm on weapon
> switch and Vengeance - about 7K max damage without HS/HF aura. Add in 80%
> CB and there is no real need for Deadly Strike.

Deadly Strike obviously does less for your offense if your
main attack is elemental, but it still improves your leeching by the
same percentage. You don't really mention what you see as any
weakness in your character that needs to be addressed, so maybe
it doesn't matter much.

> Hey, and all this from 2 hard skill points in Vengeance and 1 point in
> Zeal as his main attack with Heaven's Light scepter..
>
> Crafted gloves: 20%IAS, 9%CB, 16%MF, +18 life, 2% LL

That's nice stuff, especially if the IAS is actually helping
you to hit a speed breakpoint. If not, then Venom Grip might
be similar but preferable. IK Belt+Gloves, Dracul's gloves,
and String of Ears belt are other notable choices.

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:45:20 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

>> well, my Pally is pulling most of his damage from Holy Freeze/Shock
>> aura - he started out as a Ranger.
>> And I get even more elemental damage with the Obedience polearm on
>> weapon switch and Vengeance - about 7K max damage without HS/HF aura.
>> Add in 80% CB and there is no real need for Deadly Strike.
>
> Deadly Strike obviously does less for your offense if your
> main attack is elemental, but it still improves your leeching by the
> same percentage. You don't really mention what you see as any
> weakness in your character that needs to be addressed, so maybe
> it doesn't matter much.

main weakness is AR, I only have about 5.5K after the Enchant from
Obedience sets in. OTOH, that's already about 75% and getting to 85 percent
would mean doubling that 5.5K.

Also, the Obedience weapon switch only has around 40 res all and defense
drops to 6K without Holy shield. I'll yet have to see how this setup works
against big bosses.

Do defiance auras from merc and my char stack or is only the better one
active?

>> Crafted gloves: 20%IAS, 9%CB, 16%MF, +18 life, 2% LL
>
> That's nice stuff, especially if the IAS is actually helping
> you to hit a speed breakpoint. If not, then Venom Grip might
> be similar but preferable. IK Belt+Gloves, Dracul's gloves,
> and String of Ears belt are other notable choices.

I haven't played around with belts yet - he is currently wearing
Thundergod's Vigor belt. I might try upped Shaftstop + SoE when it gets
tougher in Act4+5. I also might use Laying of Hands in Act4, I think.

I have two Shael in the sockets of my Heaven's Light scepter for a total of
60%IAS on the weapon. At 70% I hit the 5fpa breakpoint. Obedience thresher
needs 39%IAS to hit 2 attacks with Vengeance and 60% for 4.1 Zeal attacks.

But I'm out of IAS jewels atm, so this will have to wait.

Hey, and I found Seraph's Hymn ammu yesterday in Lower Kurast.

Regards,

Oliver

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 05:00:45 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:45:20 +0100, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>
>>> well, my Pally is pulling most of his damage from Holy Freeze/Shock
>>> aura - he started out as a Ranger.
>>> And I get even more elemental damage with the Obedience polearm on
>>> weapon switch and Vengeance - about 7K max damage without HS/HF aura.
>>> Add in 80% CB and there is no real need for Deadly Strike.
>>
>> Deadly Strike obviously does less for your offense if your
>> main attack is elemental, but it still improves your leeching by the
>> same percentage. You don't really mention what you see as any
>> weakness in your character that needs to be addressed, so maybe
>> it doesn't matter much.
>
> main weakness is AR, I only have about 5.5K after the Enchant from
> Obedience sets in. OTOH, that's already about 75% and getting to 85 percent
> would mean doubling that 5.5K.

It doesn't sound like you have any big problems then :)
Your effective chance to hit will be higher than what the
char screen says when you use the Heaven's Light that reduces
monster defense. You might have shaels or amns in that and
your best bet to improve that side of your switch further sounds
like it would be to move that IAS or leech off to some other
gear and put eths there instead (not sure that is practical
or good for you, but just mentioning it as the best bet
to make dramatic improvement to chance to hit). The other
way you might be able to double AR if with Angelic ammy and rings.

> Also, the Obedience weapon switch only has around 40 res all and defense
> drops to 6K without Holy shield. I'll yet have to see how this setup works
> against big bosses.
>
> Do defiance auras from merc and my char stack or is only the better one
> active?

The Defiance synergy to Holy Shield, the non-synergized defense from
Holy Shield, and the mercs Defiance aura all stack. Actually
having your own Defiance aura active would not stack.