Forcing Password at Startup in 98

neonoven

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I have an old computer at school, which I can't remember the specs on, but I know that it is an older piece of junk that really can't run much. I do know that it does have 32 MBs of memory. It has 98 first edition on there now and runs like crap and is loaded up with all kinds of ridiculous things. Anyway, a particular student, who downloads various things at will, has crapped it up. I'm going to wipe it all out and put on 98 SE, as it is slightly better then its predecessor. My question is though after I do a format, what's stopping this kid from just clicking cancel or closing the password-prompting window. I've tried family logon, Client for MS networks and made passwords and all of that, but every time you click cancel it goes to a default guest account. Now, I swear I have gotten it once to force a password no matter what, but I couldn't remember how, if there is even a way. I mean I guess I could use a newer OS like 2k or even NT to lock him out, but I'm not entirely sure this hunk of junk could handle either of those operating systems. So, I was just curious if there was a way to force a password that way I can keep him from downloading things. Like I said, I swear I remember a registry tweak or an .ini fix that forced a password at startup. I have been given permission to do so and I am the only person that is allowed to access the computer, so I do have access to everything. In the worse case scenario, I guess I could always password lock the bios, but I'd rather avoid that if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
download a program called access denied, i use it and it works great, prompts for password at bootup and also has a lockout feature on the taskbar to use if you have to walk away from it for a few mins and dont want to shut down....after the trial period expires, all it does is say"please register, strike any key to continue" and the prompts you for your password....and of course change the boot order and password protect the bios, then he cannot get in.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.