computers don't see each other

I have a pc with a linksys lne100tx ver 5.1 card and a laptop with
wnc802.11b usb300 wireless card. They are connected to ntl broadband
through a linksys wrt54g wireless-g broadband router. Both can access
the internet although not as well as when I ran just one pc through a
usb connection.
My problem is getting the 2 machines to see each other. In my network
places, on both machines there is a folder called 'sharedDocs (with
the name of the pc)' but nothing I have tried has let me see the other
pc/laptop. I want to be able to share information across the 2
machines and to share the printer as well.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Ron
3 answers Last reply
More about computers other

    ron6a@lineone.net (Ron) wrote in

    > I have a pc with a linksys lne100tx ver 5.1 card and a laptop with
    > wnc802.11b usb300 wireless card. They are connected to ntl broadband
    > through a linksys wrt54g wireless-g broadband router. Both can access
    > the internet although not as well as when I ran just one pc through a
    > usb connection.
    > My problem is getting the 2 machines to see each other. In my network
    > places, on both machines there is a folder called 'sharedDocs (with
    > the name of the pc)' but nothing I have tried has let me see the other
    > pc/laptop. I want to be able to share information across the 2
    > machines and to share the printer as well.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ron

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_NWLnkconcepts.htm

    It works for me.

    Duane :)

    ron6a@lineone.net (Ron) wrote in

    > My problem is getting the 2 machines to see each other. In my
    > network places, on both machines there is a folder called
    > 'sharedDocs (with the name of the pc)' but nothing I have tried
    > has let me see the other pc/laptop. I want to be able to share
    > information across the 2 machines and to share the printer as
    > well.

    Windows networks rely on communication on ports 137, 138, 139. The
    usual cause of systems not 'seeing' each other is that something,
    usually a software firewall (including WinXP's ICF) is blocking this
    traffic.

    If you have a software firewall, disable it or uninstall it. If this
    solves the problem, then you need to configure it with a rule to
    allow communication on these ports.

    Some products have a specific option to allow this, or to set up a
    specific 'trusted zone'. Unless you feel unduly paranoid you can
    probably allow all communication on all ports between all systems in
    the router's subnet.

    Hope this helps

    --

    Richard Perkin
    To email me, change the AT in the address below

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

    "Ron" <ron6a@lineone.net> wrote in message
    > I have a pc with a linksys lne100tx ver 5.1 card and a laptop with
    > wnc802.11b usb300 wireless card. They are connected to ntl broadband
    > through a linksys wrt54g wireless-g broadband router. Both can access
    > the internet although not as well as when I ran just one pc through a
    > usb connection.
    > My problem is getting the 2 machines to see each other. In my network
    > places, on both machines there is a folder called 'sharedDocs (with
    > the name of the pc)' but nothing I have tried has let me see the other
    > pc/laptop. I want to be able to share information across the 2
    > machines and to share the printer as well.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ron

    We had this problem at work on a wired network. Running Windows XP,
    installing one of the windows updates stopped windows' file sharing from
    working. I think they must have fixed a problem by removing the
    functionality.

    Bob

Wireless Linksys Internet Wireless Networking