computers don't see each other

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 21, 2004 10:55:19 AM

I have a pc with a linksys lne100tx ver 5.1 card and a laptop with
wnc802.11b usb300 wireless card. They are connected to ntl broadband
through a linksys wrt54g wireless-g broadband router. Both can access
the internet although not as well as when I ran just one pc through a
usb connection.
My problem is getting the 2 machines to see each other. In my network
places, on both machines there is a folder called 'sharedDocs (with
the name of the pc)' but nothing I have tried has let me see the other
pc/laptop. I want to be able to share information across the 2
machines and to share the printer as well.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Ron

More about : computers

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 21, 2004 8:46:18 PM

ron6a@lineone.net (Ron) wrote in

> I have a pc with a linksys lne100tx ver 5.1 card and a laptop with
> wnc802.11b usb300 wireless card. They are connected to ntl broadband
> through a linksys wrt54g wireless-g broadband router. Both can access
> the internet although not as well as when I ran just one pc through a
> usb connection.
> My problem is getting the 2 machines to see each other. In my network
> places, on both machines there is a folder called 'sharedDocs (with
> the name of the pc)' but nothing I have tried has let me see the other
> pc/laptop. I want to be able to share information across the 2
> machines and to share the printer as well.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks
> Ron

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag...

It works for me.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 22, 2004 3:49:25 AM

ron6a@lineone.net (Ron) wrote in

> My problem is getting the 2 machines to see each other. In my
> network places, on both machines there is a folder called
> 'sharedDocs (with the name of the pc)' but nothing I have tried
> has let me see the other pc/laptop. I want to be able to share
> information across the 2 machines and to share the printer as
> well.

Windows networks rely on communication on ports 137, 138, 139. The
usual cause of systems not 'seeing' each other is that something,
usually a software firewall (including WinXP's ICF) is blocking this
traffic.

If you have a software firewall, disable it or uninstall it. If this
solves the problem, then you need to configure it with a rule to
allow communication on these ports.

Some products have a specific option to allow this, or to set up a
specific 'trusted zone'. Unless you feel unduly paranoid you can
probably allow all communication on all ports between all systems in
the router's subnet.

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
a b F Wireless
June 22, 2004 11:17:54 PM

"Ron" <ron6a@lineone.net> wrote in message
> I have a pc with a linksys lne100tx ver 5.1 card and a laptop with
> wnc802.11b usb300 wireless card. They are connected to ntl broadband
> through a linksys wrt54g wireless-g broadband router. Both can access
> the internet although not as well as when I ran just one pc through a
> usb connection.
> My problem is getting the 2 machines to see each other. In my network
> places, on both machines there is a folder called 'sharedDocs (with
> the name of the pc)' but nothing I have tried has let me see the other
> pc/laptop. I want to be able to share information across the 2
> machines and to share the printer as well.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks
> Ron

We had this problem at work on a wired network. Running Windows XP,
installing one of the windows updates stopped windows' file sharing from
working. I think they must have fixed a problem by removing the
functionality.

Bob
!