Registry back up

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
is there a way to back up a healthy registry and put it on a machine with a corrupted registry? they are both the same, i had a systemced reg corruption error on several computers. it would be easier to replace the registry than go through the fix.

Itchy and Scratchy #1325,Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone; strikes the same rib twice but clearly 2 different notes sound. are we to believe that this is some sort of magic xylophone?

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
A. Start > Run - type regedit
B. File > export - choose name
C. Put on media.

A. Start > Program files > System Tools > Backup
B. Choose the "backup registry" option (or whatever it says)
C. Choose file name
D. Put on media

You can then either paste over the original registry and reboot by pressing the reset button. However this has a tendency to go badly, so you should boot to safe mode (restore mode is better if you have that option) and run regedit again. Go to file menu and choose import and select the one you just made.

WARNING! Your pc's need to have _IDENTICAL_ hardware for this to work. Otherwise you also have to restore the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and that is very time consuming and fairly difficult. Try at your own risk.

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hmmm.... how do i get in there to replace it if the system wont boot up?

Itchy and Scratchy #1325,Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone; strikes the same rib twice but clearly 2 different notes sound. are we to believe that this is some sort of magic xylophone?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well, the systemced error indicates a corrupted registry.