please explain ladders to me! :)

i had a talk with someone in my jogging group the other night
regarding ladders. he explained it to me, but i didn't get it. i've
done some online searching, but still couldn't find anything that made
sense.

can someone please explain to me what ladders are? is this a
battlenet thing?

and also, related to ladders, when i made my print out list of uniques
(for checking off what i've found), i found some of them were listed
as "ladder only". but i've found at two items (djinnslayer,
runemaster) on regular single player play. why's that?

and runeword items. there are recipes on planetdiablo that lists
ladder only runewords. are these able to be created in single player
games?

thanks in advance!

cassandra

Well, ladders are competition games where you are ranked by a measureable
means comparatively to others in same competition. in this case bnet, you
are ranked by level achieved compared to everyone else. In Pool/Billiards
ladder competition you are ranked by your win-to-loss ratio in comparison to
others, sometimes other factors are used to further distinguish the
difference in caliber of play.
The "ladder only" items mean for closed Bnet, these items are available only
to characters registered for ladder play. Same as with runewords. A
significant amount of these items are available in single play also, but not
to non'ladder characters on closed bnet.