Erasing old Files, installing XP

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Hi all,

Basically, I am building a new computer but due to budged constrains I'll have to keep my old hard drive for another 2-3 months. However, I want a fresh start (so i can download new drivers with no conflict etc.) and so I would like to install the WinXP to replace my old Win98 +erase any previous files.
The problem: I have no clue what would be the best way to do that. I can't afford to buy any additional software (Poor student :) ) so i'll like to know if I should first completely clean my HD (+how) and then install XP, or is the XP atomatically going to overwrite all of my old files when replacing the Win98.

Thanks,
Amar

Ps. I am getting the Xp next week, so sorry if that question is being explained somwhere in the Xp manual.

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
You can do a simple format through the Windows XP installer. This is sufficient if you just want to ensure a clean install with no driver conflict nonsense or anything like that.

If you really want to wipe the hard-drive - i.e., delete any sensitive data - use a prog like <A HREF="http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/" target="_new">Autoclave</A>, then run Win XP install.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks a lot BunnyStroker,

I will probably just install the xp then, but it is good to know that i can use autocleave if I ever need it.

P.s. XP activation feature SUCKS BIG TIME, and makes me so mad. Using your legally purchased copy FOR 200$ good for ONLY ONE COMPUTER!!!!! I am so MAD i could SCREEM, and for the first time ever i actually wish they did break up the Microsoft monopoly.

GO LINUX!!!!

Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

schulte

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
yes the activation is rediculous. 200 for one use is bordering on insanity. normally, i wont pirate software, i just pay the few bucks they ask for. this garbage with activation and single use for 200 bux is rediculous, and almost justifies piracy purely because of the price and single use [-peep-]. (srry bout the language)

grrr..

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
You are right Schulte,

I am purchasing the damn thing not RENTIG IT!!!! (I should be able to use for all of my future computers, I bought it for 200$$, not 2$)
Don't get me even started on the whole privacy concerns I have, being FORCED to submit somthing to a major cooporation, where does that end? (Now it is supposedly only harmless data, but what will they want to rip out of my computer in the future?!? )

SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

schulte

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2003
also in in the EULA you basically sign away your first born child to msoft.....at least the phone support is decent