Seeking advice for Sorceress.

Watchman

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

I recently managed to find the last part of Cathan's Traps. For that
reason I made a Sorceress, focusing on Fireball with Frozen Orb or
Blizzard for backup. I've boosted my strength to 35 and put the rest
into vitality. She's level 14 now. What I'm unsure of is whether I
should put any points into dexterity or energy. At the moment my
equipment is supplying the bulk of the mana I use. Should I add to
energy?

I remember, vaguely, there was a debate on whether or not to add to a
Sorceress's dexterity. What's the general feeling now? Would boosting
dexterity really make a difference in her not getting hit?

Thank you for your time.

Watchman :)
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

"Watchman" <stryder@SPAMPHOBICwhyalla.net.au> wrote in message

> I recently managed to find the last part of Cathan's Traps. For that
> reason I made a Sorceress, focusing on Fireball with Frozen Orb or
> Blizzard for backup. I've boosted my strength to 35 and put the rest
> into vitality. She's level 14 now. What I'm unsure of is whether I
> should put any points into dexterity or energy. At the moment my
> equipment is supplying the bulk of the mana I use. Should I add to
> energy?
>
> I remember, vaguely, there was a debate on whether or not to add to a
> Sorceress's dexterity. What's the general feeling now? Would boosting
> dexterity really make a difference in her not getting hit?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Watchman :)
> --
> 'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

It really depends on you, and if you have a high-blocking shield.
If you want to max Block, then you'll need almost 200 Dex at higher levels.
The only shield I'd suggest maxing Block with would be a Stormshield,
Whitstans, Visceratuant, or a Gerke's. Gerke's takes 133? str though, and a
Stormshield takes 156 str. So you'd ket better mileage out of a Whitstans
or Visceratuant, and the Visc has +1 Sorc skills.

short

> It really depends on you, and if you have a high-blocking shield.
> If you want to max Block, then you'll need almost 200 Dex at higher
> levels.
> The only shield I'd suggest maxing Block with would be a Stormshield,
> Whitstans, Visceratuant, or a Gerke's. Gerke's takes 133? str though, and
> Stormshield takes 156 str. So you'd ket better mileage out of a Whitstans
> or Visceratuant, and the Visc has +1 Sorc skills.
>

> short

note that you need an *upped* viscertaut to get decent block... also an
upped mosers is not a bad choice if you need res

peace,
kyle

This can all depend on what you intend to wear in the long run in the way of
Equipment. High level armor and such can require a decent amount of
dexterity. A way that myself and a friend look at it is think what you want
to eventually deck them out in, i.e- IK barb and max the stat reqs out. Put
as much required into it for being able to use it and then you can pump up
Vitality or spend the points wherever.

Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.

short wrote:

> "Watchman" <stryder@SPAMPHOBICwhyalla.net.au> wrote in message
> >
> > I recently managed to find the last part of Cathan's Traps. For that
> > reason I made a Sorceress, focusing on Fireball with Frozen Orb or
> > Blizzard for backup. I've boosted my strength to 35 and put the rest
> > into vitality. She's level 14 now. What I'm unsure of is whether I
> > should put any points into dexterity or energy. At the moment my
> > equipment is supplying the bulk of the mana I use. Should I add to
> > energy?
> >
> > I remember, vaguely, there was a debate on whether or not to add to a
> > Sorceress's dexterity. What's the general feeling now? Would boosting
> > dexterity really make a difference in her not getting hit?
> >
> > Thank you for your time.
> >
> > Watchman :)
> > --
> > 'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'
>
> It really depends on you, and if you have a high-blocking shield.
> If you want to max Block, then you'll need almost 200 Dex at higher levels.
> The only shield I'd suggest maxing Block with would be a Stormshield,
> Whitstans, Visceratuant, or a Gerke's. Gerke's takes 133? str though, and a
> Stormshield takes 156 str. So you'd ket better mileage out of a Whitstans
> or Visceratuant, and the Visc has +1 Sorc skills.
>
> short

okay, thanks.

I'm guessing I don't need to put any points into energy then?

Watchman :)
--

Watchman wrote:
> short wrote:
>
>>"Watchman" <stryder@SPAMPHOBICwhyalla.net.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>I recently managed to find the last part of Cathan's Traps. For that
>>>reason I made a Sorceress, focusing on Fireball with Frozen Orb or
>>>Blizzard for backup. I've boosted my strength to 35 and put the rest
>>>into vitality. She's level 14 now. What I'm unsure of is whether I
>>>should put any points into dexterity or energy. At the moment my
>>>equipment is supplying the bulk of the mana I use. Should I add to
>>>energy?
>>>
>>>I remember, vaguely, there was a debate on whether or not to add to a
>>>Sorceress's dexterity. What's the general feeling now? Would boosting
>>>dexterity really make a difference in her not getting hit?
>>>
>>>Thank you for your time.
>>>
>>>Watchman :)
>>>--
>>> 'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'
>>
>>It really depends on you, and if you have a high-blocking shield.
>>If you want to max Block, then you'll need almost 200 Dex at higher levels.
>>The only shield I'd suggest maxing Block with would be a Stormshield,
>>Whitstans, Visceratuant, or a Gerke's. Gerke's takes 133? str though, and a
>>Stormshield takes 156 str. So you'd ket better mileage out of a Whitstans
>>or Visceratuant, and the Visc has +1 Sorc skills.
>>
>>short
>

> okay, thanks.
>
> I'm guessing I don't need to put any points into energy then?
>
> Watchman :)
I have heard this before <not putting any points in energy> but I dont
understand it. If your using a sorc, then why not put points in energy?
The mana is used so fast without any points that you would have to
continually be drinking mana or rejuvs

Watchman

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

Jake Mysterio wrote:

> This can all depend on what you intend to wear in the long run in the way of
> Equipment. High level armor and such can require a decent amount of
> dexterity. A way that myself and a friend look at it is think what you want
> to eventually deck them out in, i.e- IK barb and max the stat reqs out. Put
> as much required into it for being able to use it and then you can pump up
> Vitality or spend the points wherever.

I haven't really got a plan for her equipment. I just give her what she
finds, unless I have a set that's good for her. And I don't have any
complete high-level sets.

Watchman :)
--

sidekick wrote:

> Watchman wrote:
> > short wrote:
> >
> >>"Watchman" <stryder@SPAMPHOBICwhyalla.net.au> wrote in message

> >>It really depends on you, and if you have a high-blocking shield.
> >>If you want to max Block, then you'll need almost 200 Dex at higher levels.
> >>The only shield I'd suggest maxing Block with would be a Stormshield,
> >>Whitstans, Visceratuant, or a Gerke's. Gerke's takes 133? str though, and a
> >>Stormshield takes 156 str. So you'd ket better mileage out of a Whitstans
> >>or Visceratuant, and the Visc has +1 Sorc skills.
> >>
> >>short
> >

> > okay, thanks.
> >
> > I'm guessing I don't need to put any points into energy then?
> >
> > Watchman :)
> I have heard this before <not putting any points in energy> but I dont
> understand it. If your using a sorc, then why not put points in energy?
> The mana is used so fast without any points that you would have to
> continually be drinking mana or rejuvs

Well, at the moment I have a lot of mana from equipment. I'm just not
sure if that will be enough later on.

Watchman :)
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

I wouldn't and I don't ever put points into energy or dex for a sorc. You
are a spell caster and should not be meleeing. Let your gear provide you
with all the mana and block you need. get a good act 5 merc and equip him
well. I put "0" points in energy and at lvl 73 with fireball/orb I have
almost 700 mana and have enough skill points in warmth that I don't even
carry mana pots. Get just enough str and dex for the gear you want and dump
the rest into health.

"Watchman" <stryder@SPAMPHOBICwhyalla.net.au> wrote in message

> I recently managed to find the last part of Cathan's Traps. For that
> reason I made a Sorceress, focusing on Fireball with Frozen Orb or
> Blizzard for backup. I've boosted my strength to 35 and put the rest
> into vitality. She's level 14 now. What I'm unsure of is whether I
> should put any points into dexterity or energy. At the moment my
> equipment is supplying the bulk of the mana I use. Should I add to
> energy?
>
> I remember, vaguely, there was a debate on whether or not to add to a
> Sorceress's dexterity. What's the general feeling now? Would boosting
> dexterity really make a difference in her not getting hit?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Watchman :)
> --
> 'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"AGDer-2" <netaddict@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
>I wouldn't and I don't ever put points into energy or dex for a sorc. You
> are a spell caster and should not be meleeing. Let your gear provide you
> with all the mana and block you need. get a good act 5 merc and equip him
> well. I put "0" points in energy and at lvl 73 with fireball/orb I have
> almost 700 mana and have enough skill points in warmth that I don't even
> carry mana pots. Get just enough str and dex for the gear you want and
> dump
> the rest into health.

all my surviving hell mf sorc's have max block (don't know how much dex
since it all depends on items)
all my sorcs that uses energy shield are dead (no block and can't teleport
with no mana)

i agree with no points into energy, but, i recommend putting points into dex
to max out shield block.
fast cast for tele is also a life savour in hell (for mf runs).

for a chantress, fast cast and rogue merc. keep on teleporting and let your
rogue merc do the killing. go into areas in hell that have no fire immunes
for leveling.
a melee chantress was my most favoured build. i think i let that one
expire...

-a|ex

Watchman

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002

AGDer-2 wrote:

> I wouldn't and I don't ever put points into energy or dex for a sorc. You
> are a spell caster and should not be meleeing. Let your gear provide you
> with all the mana and block you need. get a good act 5 merc and equip him
> well. I put "0" points in energy and at lvl 73 with fireball/orb I have
> almost 700 mana and have enough skill points in warmth that I don't even
> carry mana pots. Get just enough str and dex for the gear you want and dump
> the rest into health.

Thanks. I'm currently leveling my Defiance merc so he can survive Duriel
long enough for me to static him down to a manageable health. I have a
unique Gladius waiting for my barbarian merc.

Watchman :)
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'

Latest posts