Level 70 WW Druid rocks in Hell!

Last response: in Video Games
March 28, 2005 1:32:28 PM

Hi,

I wonder how early a char can get to Hell diff and survive there? All my
previous chars wait until late 70s or early 80s levels to really start out
in Hell.

My WW Fury Druid is level 71 now and just has rescued Deckard Cain in Hell
diff at /players 2! Which other build can do this without uber-equipment?

Skill layout is:

Werewolf 15
Lycan. 10
Fury 15

Oak Sage 20
Dire W. 3
Grizzly 1

I have saved 5 skill points and 29 stat points at the moment.

He has 75 res all, 188 STR and 146 DEX. Life is about 1200 before Oak Sage
and Def 2258.

Equipment:

Jalal's Mane with UM
Upped Duriel's with UM
Crafted Blood Gloves with 10%CB
Crafted Belt with resists
GoreRider boots
rare +2 ammu with 16 res all
Carrion Wind ring
Rare Ring with 103AR and 5%ML

Weapon Switch #1
LawBringer Phase Blade / Spirit Monarch

Weapon Switch #2
Bonehew with SHAEL and -15%req jewel

For casting Grizzly and Oak Sage I have an Islestrike axe (+2 Druid skills)
and +3 Summons ammu and a Summoning GC.

Might Merc has an Obedience in a Superior Thresher giving 58 to 683 damage.
Ethereal Boneweave Duress armor and Crown of Thieves hat for the life
leech.

I plan to max Fury and then alternate between Rabies and my Grizzly or Dire
Wolves. PI's will get LawBringer attacks with Rabies and level 15 Decrep. I
hope this will also work against these darn OK's in Diablo's Lair.
Lawbringer has quite low damage and Rabies also no damage addition.

When starting out in the wilderness, I take my merc's Obedience Thresher
and smack some easy monsters to trigger the Enchant. Then he gets his
weapon back and I'm set.

Damage:

Fury 1127-5707 AR 9074
Feral R. 694-3427 AR 8009
Rabies 496- 722 AR 8652
1248-1476 poison

I think this is quite impressive. Bonehew with SHAEL gets 5fpa, so that's
alot of Fury damage per second. But I'm working on crafting Feral Axes, as
they theoretically can get to 4fpa.

Only real problem at the moment is his mana ball. If some monster drains it
to zero, he is quite helpless until I apply a mana potion. And WW running
out in the middle of a battle also is a very bad thing.

Regards,

Oliver

More about : level druid rocks hell

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:32:29 PM

Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote:

>I wonder how early a char can get to Hell diff and survive there? All my
>previous chars wait until late 70s or early 80s levels to really start out
>in Hell.

as my first bowazon made it into hell level awhile back, i can't give
you the exact numbers, but it was early 60's or so when she did it. i
partnered up with a barbarian that was also the same level. he was
getting his butt handed to him, but i found that i had a relatively ok
time managing it.

my biggest problem with hell level and my bowazon was the major quest
bosses. i *always* had a hard time with andarial and duriel, as i
never did enough damage and spent far more time running around in
circles trying to avoid them, which gave me little time for shooting
arrows. the gronk barbarian was my lifesaver in those cases. even at
mid-80's, i still have a hard time taking those two down on my own
with the bowazon.

cassandra
March 28, 2005 2:18:01 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:32:28 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder how early a char can get to Hell diff and survive there? All my
> previous chars wait until late 70s or early 80s levels to really start out
> in Hell.
>
> My WW Fury Druid is level 71 now and just has rescued Deckard Cain in Hell
> diff at /players 2! Which other build can do this without uber-equipment?

I played a Fury Druid on the last ladder and made Patriarch at
lvl 76 without dying on hell level and with mostly lesser
gear than you have (though I did have an anni).

> Skill layout is:
>
> Werewolf 15
> Lycan. 10
> Fury 15
>
> Oak Sage 20
> Dire W. 3
> Grizzly 1

I had something like
Werewolf 5
Lycan 20
Fury 20
Oak Sage 20
Dire W 8
Carrion Vine 1
Cyclone Armor 12

> Equipment:
>
> Jalal's Mane with UM
> Upped Duriel's with UM
> Crafted Blood Gloves with 10%CB
> Crafted Belt with resists
> GoreRider boots
> rare +2 ammu with 16 res all
> Carrion Wind ring
> Rare Ring with 103AR and 5%ML
>
> Weapon Switch #1
> LawBringer Phase Blade / Spirit Monarch
>
> Weapon Switch #2
> Bonehew with SHAEL and -15%req jewel

I had Jalal's, regular Vipermagi, Sanders' gloves, Goblin Toe,
String of Ears, Horizon's Tornado Scourge, "Rhyme" in
Superior Grim shield, and Demon's Arch on switch for dealing
with PIs. My jewelry was all rares that gave some resists
and also cast some chain lightning on attack.

> For casting Grizzly and Oak Sage I have an Islestrike axe (+2 Druid skills)
> and +3 Summons ammu and a Summoning GC.
>
> Might Merc has an Obedience in a Superior Thresher giving 58 to 683 damage.
> Ethereal Boneweave Duress armor and Crown of Thieves hat for the life
> leech.

I used an HF merc who did have an eth Hone Sundan, along with a regular
Duriels and, I think, a Rockstopper for his hat.

The point of the Cyclone Armor, beyond resists, was to synergize the
tornadoes unleashed by my weapon.

> Only real problem at the moment is his mana ball. If some monster drains it
> to zero, he is quite helpless until I apply a mana potion. And WW running
> out in the middle of a battle also is a very bad thing.

I was also without mana leech. When you get your Lycan a little higher
you won't run out.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:16:23 AM

Hi,

Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:p an.2005.03.28.16.17.57.528653@yahoo.com:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:32:28 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>
>> My WW Fury Druid is level 71 now and just has rescued Deckard Cain in
>> Hell diff at /players 2! Which other build can do this without
>> uber-equipment?
>
> I played a Fury Druid on the last ladder and made Patriarch at
> lvl 76 without dying on hell level and with mostly lesser
> gear than you have (though I did have an anni).

I hope to get him there in his early 80ies. I like to take my time looking
for stuff...

>> Skill layout is:
>>
>> Werewolf 15
>> Lycan. 10
>> Fury 15
>>
>> Oak Sage 20
>> Dire W. 3
>> Grizzly 1
>
> I had something like
> Werewolf 5
> Lycan 20
> Fury 20
> Oak Sage 20
> Dire W 8
> Carrion Vine 1
> Cyclone Armor 12

Why Lycan 20? Oh well, I guess another 50% life is a good addition in HC
play? I'm currently at 2.2K life, I think I will pump a bunch of stat
points in vit now.

>> Weapon Switch #1
>> LawBringer Phase Blade / Spirit Monarch
>>
>> Weapon Switch #2
>> Bonehew with SHAEL and -15%req jewel
>
> I had Jalal's, regular Vipermagi, Sanders' gloves, Goblin Toe,
> String of Ears, Horizon's Tornado Scourge, "Rhyme" in
> Superior Grim shield, and Demon's Arch on switch for dealing
> with PIs. My jewelry was all rares that gave some resists
> and also cast some chain lightning on attack.

Actually, LawBringer is quite cheap with with AMN, LEM and KO. Just too bad
it doesn't have any speed or damage bonusses.

>> Only real problem at the moment is his mana ball. If some monster
>> drains it to zero, he is quite helpless until I apply a mana potion.
>> And WW running out in the middle of a battle also is a very bad
>> thing.
>
> I was also without mana leech. When you get your Lycan a little
> higher you won't run out.

Why would Lycan help my mana ball? Or do you mean the duration of WW?
At level 10 (with +7 from items) I'm already getting 400 secs out of WW.
Another 10 points in Lycan would get me to a full 10 minutes. But I guess
I'll stay with the 10 skill points.

Oh well, and I'm quite proud of my keyboard setup:

Q : Weapon switch
BoneHew:
F1: Fury (left-click)
F2: Feral Rage (right-click)
LawBringer:
--: Feral Rage (lefr-click)
A : WW (right)
S : Rabies (right)

So, normally I'll use Bonehew with Fury and can throw in some Feral Rages
easily. Against bosses or tougher monster packs, I can switch to Lawbringer
easily and get them decrep'ed while charging up my Feral. And apply some
poison, too.

Pots and TP are close by on 1-4, F3=Oak Sage and F4=Grizzly. Very easy
compared to my Pally with all that Aura Switching.

Regards,

Oliver

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:42:01 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:16:23 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:p an.2005.03.28.16.17.57.528653@yahoo.com:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:32:28 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>
>>> My WW Fury Druid is level 71 now and just has rescued Deckard Cain in
>>> Hell diff at /players 2! Which other build can do this without
>>> uber-equipment?
>>
>> I played a Fury Druid on the last ladder and made Patriarch at
>> lvl 76 without dying on hell level and with mostly lesser
>> gear than you have (though I did have an anni).
>
> I hope to get him there in his early 80ies. I like to take my time looking
> for stuff...

I wasn't racing either. Really, I'm just supporting your point that
Fury Druid is one melee char capable of soloing Hell in 1.10 without
too much trouble provided some solution is found for PIs and avoiding
IM. In particular, the big life ball and minions make the Ancients
much easier for this build than for most other chars.

>>> Skill layout is:
>>>
>>> Werewolf 15
>>> Lycan. 10
>>> Fury 15
>>>
>>> Oak Sage 20
>>> Dire W. 3
>>> Grizzly 1
>>
>> I had something like
>> Werewolf 5
>> Lycan 20
>> Fury 20
>> Oak Sage 20
>> Dire W 8
>> Carrion Vine 1
>> Cyclone Armor 12
>>

> Why Lycan 20? Oh well, I guess another 50% life is a good addition in HC
> play? I'm currently at 2.2K life, I think I will pump a bunch of stat
> points in vit now.

I state again that more life if helpful for *every* char. More chance
to stay alive, less need to retreat, harder to put in hit recovery,
etc.

>>> Weapon Switch #1
>>> LawBringer Phase Blade / Spirit Monarch
>>>
>>> Weapon Switch #2
>>> Bonehew with SHAEL and -15%req jewel
>>
>> I had Jalal's, regular Vipermagi, Sanders' gloves, Goblin Toe,
>> String of Ears, Horizon's Tornado Scourge, "Rhyme" in
>> Superior Grim shield, and Demon's Arch on switch for dealing
>> with PIs. My jewelry was all rares that gave some resists
>> and also cast some chain lightning on attack.
>
> Actually, LawBringer is quite cheap with with AMN, LEM and KO. Just too bad
> it doesn't have any speed or damage bonusses.

It is cheap and is available at a low char level.
But wasn't an option yet on the last ladder and doesn't do as
much elemental or physical damage as a Demon's Arch or especially
a Gimmershred. I wouldn't want to use it as a primary weapon
on a mature char.

>>> Only real problem at the moment is his mana ball. If some monster
>>> drains it to zero, he is quite helpless until I apply a mana potion.
>>> And WW running out in the middle of a battle also is a very bad thing.
>>
>> I was also without mana leech. When you get your Lycan a little higher
>> you won't run out.
>
> Why would Lycan help my mana ball? Or do you mean the duration of WW?

Yes, I meant the latter.

>At
> level 10 (with +7 from items) I'm already getting 400 secs out of WW.

Okay, I responded to your mention of the problem of it running out.

> Another 10 points in Lycan would get me to a full 10 minutes. But I
> guess I'll stay with the 10 skill points.
>
> Oh well, and I'm quite proud of my keyboard setup:
>
> Q : Weapon switch
> BoneHew:
> F1: Fury (left-click)
> F2: Feral Rage (right-click)
> LawBringer:
> --: Feral Rage (lefr-click)
> A : WW (right)
> S : Rabies (right)
>
> So, normally I'll use Bonehew with Fury and can throw in some Feral
> Rages easily.

I don't like to use Feral Rage because it lowers the damage over
time. Either you don't need it, or you need it for the life
leech, supporting my point that a bigger life ball is helpful.

>Against bosses or tougher monster packs, I can switch to
> Lawbringer easily and get them decrep'ed while charging up my Feral. And
> apply some poison, too.
>
> Pots and TP are close by on 1-4, F3=Oak Sage and F4=Grizzly. Very easy
> compared to my Pally with all that Aura Switching.

Why do you do so much aura switching? They don't stack anymore...
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:38:36 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:32:28 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder how early a char can get to Hell diff and survive there? All my
> previous chars wait until late 70s or early 80s levels to really start out
> in Hell.
>
> My WW Fury Druid is level 71 now and just has rescued Deckard Cain in Hell
> diff at /players 2! Which other build can do this without uber-equipment?
>
> Skill layout is:
>
> Werewolf 15
> Lycan. 10
> Fury 15
>
> Oak Sage 20
> Dire W. 3
> Grizzly 1

My fury druid just made it to level 89 last night on EuHCL.
His skill points is like this.
Werewolf 20
Lycan. 20
Fury 20
Oak 20
Grizzly 1
Carrion vine 1

and then 1 in all the prereqs, i have 12 points saved atm, don't know what
to do with them :)

> I have saved 5 skill points and 29 stat points at the moment.
>
> He has 75 res all, 188 STR and 146 DEX. Life is about 1200 before Oak Sage
> and Def 2258.

He has with gear, 225 str, 105 dex, 325 vit and base energy. And a
shitload defense, i get +2000 just from armor.
> Equipment:
>
> Jalal's Mane with UM
> Upped Duriel's with UM
> Crafted Blood Gloves with 10%CB
> Crafted Belt with resists
> GoreRider boots
> rare +2 ammu with 16 res all
> Carrion Wind ring
> Rare Ring with 103AR and 5%ML
>
> Weapon Switch #1
> LawBringer Phase Blade / Spirit Monarch
>
> Weapon Switch #2
> Bonehew with SHAEL and -15%req jewel

My equipment is.
Jalal's mane
Prudence in a eth sacred armor
+1 druid skills, 9 res all crafted amulet
rare/crafted rings with res and AR
IK maul, belt, boots and gloves.
Lidless wall and fleshrender on the switch.

> For casting Grizzly and Oak Sage I have an Islestrike axe (+2 Druid
> skills) and +3 Summons ammu and a Summoning GC.

I have to shape shifting skillers, and all that gives.
I cast oak as level 25, bear level 6, carrion vine level 6, change to
werewolf with level 31 lycan and werewolf. And i attack with level 27 fury.

> Might Merc has an Obedience in a Superior Thresher giving 58 to 683
> damage. Ethereal Boneweave Duress armor and Crown of Thieves hat for the
> life leech.

I'm tagging along with a barb merc using full sazabi's set.

> I plan to max Fury and then alternate between Rabies and my Grizzly or
> Dire Wolves. PI's will get LawBringer attacks with Rabies and level 15
> Decrep. I hope this will also work against these darn OK's in Diablo's
> Lair. Lawbringer has quite low damage and Rabies also no damage
> addition.

Using 4 pieces of the IK set gives me a good deal of elemental damage to
those PI's out there.

> When starting out in the wilderness, I take my merc's Obedience Thresher
> and smack some easy monsters to trigger the Enchant. Then he gets his
> weapon back and I'm set.
>
> Damage:
>
> Fury 1127-5707 AR 9074
> Feral R. 694-3427 AR 8009
> Rabies 496- 722 AR 8652
> 1248-1476 poison

Don't remember my damage output, but it's enough for killing anything that
moves faster than they kill me :)
I have enough AR to have a 87% chance of hitting hell baal, and i'm
spending my remaining stat points in dex just to get it has high as
possible.

> I think this is quite impressive. Bonehew with SHAEL gets 5fpa, so
> that's alot of Fury damage per second. But I'm working on crafting Feral
> Axes, as they theoretically can get to 4fpa.

Hmmm, you need 56% IAS on the weapon to get it to 4fpa, isn't 30% ias max
when you craft and then one socket with a shael for additional 20% which
leaves you 6% short of the 56% mark?

> Only real problem at the moment is his mana ball. If some monster drains
> it to zero, he is quite helpless until I apply a mana potion. And WW
> running out in the middle of a battle also is a very bad thing.

I have choosed to put 2 pskulls in my IK maul for the leech, i don't need
the extra ias i would get for shaels, i'm at 6fpa and could go to 5fpa
with a shael, put i think i'm better off with some leech.

--
Sonni
Anonymous

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:38:36 +0200, Sonni Skammelsen wrote:

> Prudence in a eth sacred armor

Just wanted to say that I appreciated reading this idea.
I've looked at the runewords a bunch of times and somehow
missed the fact that a) Prudence could be used in an
eth armor and that b) the result is possibly the best
armor available from a purely defensive point of view with
its high def, resists, FHR, and high MDR.

> +1 druid skills, 9 res all crafted amulet

You would get more benefit from a Saracens here if
one is available.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:42:49 PM

Hi,

Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote in
news:p an.2005.03.29.09.38.36.88534@sonni.org:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:32:28 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>
>> I think this is quite impressive. Bonehew with SHAEL gets 5fpa, so
>> that's alot of Fury damage per second. But I'm working on crafting
>> Feral Axes, as they theoretically can get to 4fpa.
>>

> Hmmm, you need 56% IAS on the weapon to get it to 4fpa, isn't 30% ias
> max when you craft and then one socket with a shael for additional 20%
> which leaves you 6% short of the 56% mark?

well, I just checked and found a crafted Small Crescent with 40%IAS on
it. So, if the rules don't change for Feral Axes, socketed with a SHAEL
I'd be at 60%IAS = 4fpa.

>> Only real problem at the moment is his mana ball. If some monster
>> drains it to zero, he is quite helpless until I apply a mana potion.
>> And WW running out in the middle of a battle also is a very bad
>> thing.
>
> I have choosed to put 2 pskulls in my IK maul for the leech, i don't
> need the extra ias i would get for shaels, i'm at 6fpa and could go to
> 5fpa with a shael, put i think i'm better off with some leech.

Why don't you use Feral Rage? 1 or 2 hits to charge-up the life leech,
then switch to Fury and leech for another 20 seconds? Works like a champ
for me..

Regards,

Oliver

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:58:27 PM

news:p an.2005.03.29.16.41.58.258993@yahoo.com:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:16:23 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>
>> I hope to get him there in his early 80ies. I like to take my time
>> looking for stuff...
>
> I wasn't racing either. Really, I'm just supporting your point that
> Fury Druid is one melee char capable of soloing Hell in 1.10 without
> too much trouble provided some solution is found for PIs and avoiding
> IM. In particular, the big life ball and minions make the Ancients
> much easier for this build than for most other chars.

I already found an Arioc's Needle dropped by some Fallen in Act1.

These PI Ghosts in the Countess dungeon can be quite difficult in a boss
pack, but normally Lawbringer's Decrep allows me to kill them.

>> Why Lycan 20? Oh well, I guess another 50% life is a good addition in
>> HC play? I'm currently at 2.2K life, I think I will pump a bunch of
>> stat points in vit now.
>
> I state again that more life if helpful for *every* char. More chance
> to stay alive, less need to retreat, harder to put in hit recovery,
> etc.

More life sure ain't bad, but I'll get it from life charms and vit points
and not by putting more than 10 skill points into Lycan.
I guess the +life percentages from WW, Lycan and Oak Sage add up? And don't
multiply somehow?

>> Pots and TP are close by on 1-4, F3=Oak Sage and F4=Grizzly. Very
>> easy compared to my Pally with all that Aura Switching.
>
> Why do you do so much aura switching? They don't stack anymore...

Holy Freeze/Shock depending on Immunities.

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:58:28 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:58:27 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:p an.2005.03.29.16.41.58.258993@yahoo.com:
>
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:16:23 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>>
>>> I hope to get him there in his early 80ies. I like to take my time
>>> looking for stuff...
>>
>> I wasn't racing either. Really, I'm just supporting your point that
>> Fury Druid is one melee char capable of soloing Hell in 1.10 without
>> too much trouble provided some solution is found for PIs and avoiding
>> IM. In particular, the big life ball and minions make the Ancients
>> much easier for this build than for most other chars.
>
> I already found an Arioc's Needle dropped by some Fallen in Act1.

And what did you plan to with it? On realms, I was very pleased
to get an ethereal +4 Ariocs the other day as part of a trade and
it works well for boosting the mercs aura while giving him good
damage. I haven't checked but would have thought Ariocs too slow
for a Fury weapon.

> These PI Ghosts in the Countess dungeon can be quite difficult in a boss
> pack, but normally Lawbringer's Decrep allows me to kill them.

Fortunately they don't due too much damage unless they are enchanted
with some other aura.

>>> Why Lycan 20? Oh well, I guess another 50% life is a good addition in
>>> HC play? I'm currently at 2.2K life, I think I will pump a bunch of
>>> stat points in vit now.
>>
>> I state again that more life if helpful for *every* char. More chance
>> to stay alive, less need to retreat, harder to put in hit recovery,
>> etc.
>
> More life sure ain't bad, but I'll get it from life charms and vit points
> and not by putting more than 10 skill points into Lycan.

Charms that give a lot of life are considered valuable, elite items.
But anyway, we are talking about the relative merits of different
skill distributions, and the higher your base life, the more benefit
you get in some sense from the skill based multiplier.

> I guess the +life percentages from WW, Lycan and Oak Sage add up? And don't
> multiply somehow?

Yes, they add.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:06:20 AM

> I wonder how early a char can get to Hell diff and survive there? All my
> previous chars wait until late 70s or early 80s levels to really start out
> in Hell.

I'm just going to attach a question here, since it's on the same path... I
have never played high-level characters much, and not at all in 1.10. I like
fast melee characters, and my favorites have always been frenzy barbs, but I
figure he's very dependent on equipment when going to hell... I'm not having
much luck, anyway. Then I tried a cold paladin, and he rocked in nightmare -
but hell is just way out of his league... Anything not cold immune is a
breeze, but there's no way I can deal with cold immunes without some
seriously good equipment. So, never having played a druid at all (which may
count as blasfemy having owned the game since day -1...), I just started a
fury druid, hoping he will give me as much fun as frenzy barbs and zeal
pallies, but worrying whether or not he'll cut it. So, what's your take on
this - will the fury druid be better than the other two categories, given
that I probably won't have that good equipment?

Another thing: I was thinking Heart of Wolverine for the damage, but you're
going with oak sage. Is that the general rule of thumb? Should I worry more
on staying alive, and less on dealing damage? It's obvious that being dead
won't deal much damage, but it's just not much fun whacking away and not
killing anything, just waiting for sorcs and amazons to wipe the area...
Kinda makes you feel redundant...

Mvh. Otto
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:06:21 AM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:06:20 +0200, Otto J. wrote:

>> I wonder how early a char can get to Hell diff and survive there? All my
>> previous chars wait until late 70s or early 80s levels to really start out
>> in Hell.
>
> I'm just going to attach a question here, since it's on the same path... I
> have never played high-level characters much, and not at all in 1.10. I like
> fast melee characters, and my favorites have always been frenzy barbs, but I
> figure he's very dependent on equipment when going to hell... I'm not having
> much luck, anyway. Then I tried a cold paladin, and he rocked in nightmare -
> but hell is just way out of his league... Anything not cold immune is a
> breeze, but there's no way I can deal with cold immunes without some
> seriously good equipment. So, never having played a druid at all (which may
> count as blasfemy having owned the game since day -1...), I just started a
> fury druid, hoping he will give me as much fun as frenzy barbs and zeal
> pallies, but worrying whether or not he'll cut it. So, what's your take on
> this - will the fury druid be better than the other two categories, given
> that I probably won't have that good equipment?

Are you playing on BNet of SP? What gear do you have so far?
To answer your question in general terms, Fury Druid is stronger
than the two builds you mention because Holy Freeze is underpowered
as a damage dealer (and also available on a merc anyway) while Fury
Druid can swing almost as fast as a charged up Frenzy Barb while
swing a much higher damage 2h weapon, or he can swing almost as
fast while using a shield. The main thing he lacks is Berserk for dealing
with PIs and IM, so you have to plan to work around that. He also
lacks the high defense and utility curses, but compensates with
useful pets. Beyond that, similar advice for all melee chars applies:
max resists, get lots of crushing blow, fast high damage weapon, etc.

> Another thing: I was thinking Heart of Wolverine for the damage, but you're
> going with oak sage. Is that the general rule of thumb? Should I worry more
> on staying alive, and less on dealing damage?

It's not a general rule for SC (might be for HC) but in this case,
HoW just doesn't add all that much damage.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:04:56 AM

Hi,

"Otto J." <hifiotto@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> I wonder how early a char can get to Hell diff and survive there? All
>> my previous chars wait until late 70s or early 80s levels to really
>> start out in Hell.
[snip]
> So, what's your take on this -
> will the fury druid be better than the other two categories, given
> that I probably won't have that good equipment?

There are cheaper weapons and items that should work in Hell. As you don't
say what is available to you, it's somewhat hard to make suggestions. If
you can get HEL, KO, THUL, ETH and FAL, make Obedience runeword in a
Thresher and that surely is a Hell capable weapon.
Barbs and Pally's need much more skill points to work in Hell diff,

> Another thing: I was thinking Heart of Wolverine for the damage, but
> you're going with oak sage. Is that the general rule of thumb? Should
> I worry more on staying alive, and less on dealing damage? It's
> obvious that being dead won't deal much damage, but it's just not much
> fun whacking away and not killing anything, just waiting for sorcs and
> amazons to wipe the area... Kinda makes you feel redundant...

Depends on the damage of your weapon and where you put your stat points. If
you go HoW, put as many stat points into Vit and as low as possible on STR
and DEX. And you need careful playing tactics, as you can't take as many
hits as when using Oak Sage.

Gambling can provide ammus and circlets with lots of +skills if you don't
have Jalal's Mane or a Harlequin Crest..

HtH,

Oliver

> Mvh. Otto

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:49:41 AM

Last2Know wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:38:36 +0200, Sonni Skammelsen wrote:
>

>>Prudence in a eth sacred armor
>

> Just wanted to say that I appreciated reading this idea.
> I've looked at the runewords a bunch of times and somehow
> missed the fact that a) Prudence could be used in an
> eth armor and that b) the result is possibly the best
> armor available from a purely defensive point of view with
> its high def, resists, FHR, and high MDR.

:)
I like it too.

>>+1 druid skills, 9 res all crafted amulet
>

> You would get more benefit from a Saracens here if
> one is available.

Will the +12 all attr. ake up for loosing one skill point in oak,
grizzly, lycan, ww and fury ?
I haven't checked, but i don't think so.
I don't need the extra res.

--
Sonni
-=-=-

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:49:41 +0200, Sonni Skammelsen wrote:

>>>+1 druid skills, 9 res all crafted amulet
>>

>> You would get more benefit from a Saracens here if
>> one is available.
>>

> Will the +12 all attr. ake up for loosing one skill point in oak,
> grizzly, lycan, ww and fury ?
> I haven't checked, but i don't think so.
> I don't need the extra res.

I don't recall all of your gear. But I think it does
according to this "back of the envelope" type calc:

Your attributes like damage, AR, and life work by
multiplying a base amount by a skill modifier. Your
skills are roughly at level 25. So the percentage
change of going from 25 to 26 is probably less than
the percentage change to your attributes by adding
12 to each.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:55:03 AM

Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote in
> news:p an.2005.03.29.09.38.36.88534@sonni.org:
>

>>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:32:28 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>

>>>I think this is quite impressive. Bonehew with SHAEL gets 5fpa, so
>>>that's alot of Fury damage per second. But I'm working on crafting
>>>Feral Axes, as they theoretically can get to 4fpa.
>>>

>>Hmmm, you need 56% IAS on the weapon to get it to 4fpa, isn't 30% ias
>>max when you craft and then one socket with a shael for additional 20%
>>which leaves you 6% short of the 56% mark?
>>

> well, I just checked and found a crafted Small Crescent with 40%IAS on
> it. So, if the rules don't change for Feral Axes, socketed with a SHAEL
> I'd be at 60%IAS = 4fpa.

Not bad, then it can be done :)

>>>Only real problem at the moment is his mana ball. If some monster
>>>drains it to zero, he is quite helpless until I apply a mana potion.
>>>And WW running out in the middle of a battle also is a very bad
>>>thing.
>>
>>I have choosed to put 2 pskulls in my IK maul for the leech, i don't
>>need the extra ias i would get for shaels, i'm at 6fpa and could go to
>>5fpa with a shael, put i think i'm better off with some leech.
>

> Why don't you use Feral Rage? 1 or 2 hits to charge-up the life leech,
> then switch to Fury and leech for another 20 seconds? Works like a champ
> for me..

Because i don't need more life leech and never needed it, the one i need
is mana leech.

--
Sonni

-=-=-
X-Windows...Playing tic-tac-toe on a UNIX box.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:10:36 AM

news:p an.2005.03.29.20.15.07.496854@yahoo.com:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:06:20 +0200, Otto J. wrote:

>> Another thing: I was thinking Heart of Wolverine for the damage, but
>> you're going with oak sage. Is that the general rule of thumb? Should
>> I worry more on staying alive, and less on dealing damage?
>
> It's not a general rule for SC (might be for HC) but in this case,
> HoW just doesn't add all that much damage.

yeah, I just went through the calcs and wasn't very impressed by HoW:

STR186 = 286%
Fury L27 = 542%
HOW L30 = 223%
Might L22 = 250%

If I take STR, Fury and add How, that's roughly 25% more damage. My level
75 might merc adds more damage.

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:10:36 AM

Hi,

Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote in news:4249b158$0$215
$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk:

> Last2Know wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:38:36 +0200, Sonni Skammelsen wrote:
>>
>>>+1 druid skills, 9 res all crafted amulet
>>
>> You would get more benefit from a Saracens here if
>> one is available.
>
> Will the +12 all attr. ake up for loosing one skill point in oak,
> grizzly, lycan, ww and fury ?
> I haven't checked, but i don't think so.
> I don't need the extra res.

you could always equip your current ammu while casting Grizzly and Oak.
For casting minions, I switch in Islestrike (+2 Druid skills) and a
magical +3 summoning ammu.

So the question is how much is 1 point in WW and Fury against +12 all
stats? For the heck of it, I tried it out with my Mahim-Oak giving +10
all stats against a +2 Druid skills ammu.
I loose about 150 damage from 5202 and gain about 70AR - 6259 against
6331 with Mahim-Oak. So you will loose even less damage when going down 1
skill point.
If you'd gain resists, it might well be worth swapping..

Regards,

Oliver

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:10:37 AM

> Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>>
>> well, I just checked and found a crafted Small Crescent with 40%IAS
>> on it. So, if the rules don't change for Feral Axes, socketed with a
>> SHAEL I'd be at 60%IAS = 4fpa.
>>

> Not bad, then it can be done :)

well, the affix calc I normally use is down, so I can't calculate the
chances to get one with decent damage.

>> Why don't you use Feral Rage? 1 or 2 hits to charge-up the life
>> leech, then switch to Fury and leech for another 20 seconds? Works
>> like a champ for me..
>
> Because i don't need more life leech and never needed it, the one i
> need is mana leech.

Don't forget the walk/run speed bonus? I feel like creeping when not in
Feral state..

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:10:43 AM

Last2Know wrote:

>>>You would get more benefit from a Saracens here if
>>>one is available.
>>>

>>Will the +12 all attr. ake up for loosing one skill point in oak,
>>grizzly, lycan, ww and fury ?
>>I haven't checked, but i don't think so.
>>I don't need the extra res.
>

> I don't recall all of your gear. But I think it does
> according to this "back of the envelope" type calc:
>
> Your attributes like damage, AR, and life work by
> multiplying a base amount by a skill modifier. Your
> skills are roughly at level 25. So the percentage
> change of going from 25 to 26 is probably less than
> the percentage change to your attributes by adding
> 12 to each.

Hmmm!
with crafted amu.
Damage: 2421-4107
AR: 7429
Defense: 3058
stamina: 531
life: 4178
mana: 254

with saracens amu
Damage: 2411-4094
AR: 7735
Defense: 3061
Stamina: 543
life: 4108
mana: 260

So i would call it a tie on that part.
And saracens looses due to weaker bear and carrion vine.

--
Sonni
-=-=-

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:10:43 +0200, Sonni Skammelsen wrote:

> Last2Know wrote:

>>>Will the +12 all attr. ake up for loosing one skill point in oak,
>>>grizzly, lycan, ww and fury ?
>>>I haven't checked, but i don't think so.
>>>I don't need the extra res.
>>

>> I don't recall all of your gear. But I think it does
>> according to this "back of the envelope" type calc:
>>
>> Your attributes like damage, AR, and life work by
>> multiplying a base amount by a skill modifier. Your
>> skills are roughly at level 25. So the percentage
>> change of going from 25 to 26 is probably less than
>> the percentage change to your attributes by adding
>> 12 to each.
>>

> Hmmm!
> with crafted amu.
> Damage: 2421-4107
> AR: 7429
> Defense: 3058
> stamina: 531
> life: 4178
> mana: 254
>
> with saracens amu
> Damage: 2411-4094
> AR: 7735
> Defense: 3061
> Stamina: 543
> life: 4108
> mana: 260
>
> So i would call it a tie on that part.
> And saracens looses due to weaker bear and carrion vine.

Valid point about the bear and vine. The numbers above
suggest that you are already getting good base life
from stat points and gear but not so much dex/ar, so
if you boosted your resist with the saracens you might
be able to use a second Ravenfrost instead of a resist
ring - or a Dwarf Star for life and MDR, or a mama leech
ring and put shaels in place of those ridiculous PSkulls
in your IK maul! :)
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 4:24:27 AM

Hi,

Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote in news:4249c453$0$270
$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk:

> Hmmm!
> with crafted amu.
> Damage: 2421-4107
> AR: 7429
> Defense: 3058
> stamina: 531
> life: 4178
> mana: 254
>
> with saracens amu
> Damage: 2411-4094
> AR: 7735
> Defense: 3061
> Stamina: 543
> life: 4108
> mana: 260
>
> So i would call it a tie on that part.
> And saracens looses due to weaker bear and carrion vine.

well, I just tried it somewhat different. Swap in all +skills for casting
minions and transforming to werewolf, then swap out against other stuff.

Casting Playing
SoJ Carrion Vine
+3 Summons/SS +res/mana leech ammu
IsleStrike LawBringer
Summoning GC

I first equip SoJ and +3 Summons, and cast Oak/Bear. Swap in +3 shape-
shift and shift to WW. Swap in Lawbringer and res/mana ammu.
WW/Lycan at level 28 will last about 500 secs, so doing this swapping
doesn't hurt too much. Much more life/AR (better resists from ammu means
I can replace resist charms with AR charms) and better duration.

I guess Lycant. only counts when you shift to WW, so if your level drops
after shifting, it doesn't matter.

Regards,

Oliver

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:33:41 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:32:12 -0600, Last2Know wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:10:43 +0200, Sonni Skammelsen wrote:
>
>> Last2Know wrote:

>>> I don't recall all of your gear. But I think it does according to
>>> this "back of the envelope" type calc:
>>>
>>> Your attributes like damage, AR, and life work by multiplying a base
>>> amount by a skill modifier. Your skills are roughly at level 25. So
>>> the percentage change of going from 25 to 26 is probably less than the
>>> percentage change to your attributes by adding 12 to each.
>>>

>> Hmmm!
>> with crafted amu.
>> Damage: 2421-4107
>> AR: 7429
>> Defense: 3058
>> stamina: 531
>> life: 4178
>> mana: 254
>>
>> with saracens amu
>> Damage: 2411-4094
>> AR: 7735
>> Defense: 3061
>> Stamina: 543
>> life: 4108
>> mana: 260
>>
>> So i would call it a tie on that part. And saracens looses due to weaker
>> bear and carrion vine.
>
> Valid point about the bear and vine. The numbers above suggest that you
> are already getting good base life from stat points and gear but not so
> much dex/ar, so if you boosted your resist with the saracens you might be
> able to use a second Ravenfrost instead of a resist ring - or a Dwarf Star
> for life and MDR, or a mama leech ring and put shaels in place of those
> ridiculous PSkulls in your IK maul! :)

It's just fine tuning of a near perfect build :)
I already at a point where i have 87% chance of hitting hell Ball.
Putting 2 shaels in the IK maul gives me nothing more than putting a 15%
ias jewel with a nice second mod in there, i need 12% ias to go to 5fpa
and 41% for 4 fpa. I can't get to 4 fpa with IK maul.
I just haven't found the right 15% ias jewel yet.

Iirc i also have a nice crafted amu somewhere with res all, +2 skills and
some other good mods that i can use now after getting to level 89.

--
Sonni
Anonymous

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:24:27 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sonni Skammelsen <news@sonni.org> wrote in news:4249c453$0$270
> $edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk:
>
>> Hmmm!
>> with crafted amu.
>> Damage: 2421-4107
>> AR: 7429
>> Defense: 3058
>> stamina: 531
>> life: 4178
>> mana: 254
>>
>> with saracens amu
>> Damage: 2411-4094
>> AR: 7735
>> Defense: 3061
>> Stamina: 543
>> life: 4108
>> mana: 260
>>
>> So i would call it a tie on that part. And saracens looses due to weaker
>> bear and carrion vine.
>
> well, I just tried it somewhat different. Swap in all +skills for casting
> minions and transforming to werewolf, then swap out against other stuff.
>
> Casting Playing
> SoJ Carrion Vine
> +3 Summons/SS +res/mana leech ammu IsleStrike LawBringer
> Summoning GC
>
> I first equip SoJ and +3 Summons, and cast Oak/Bear. Swap in +3 shape-
> shift and shift to WW. Swap in Lawbringer and res/mana ammu. WW/Lycan at
> level 28 will last about 500 secs, so doing this swapping doesn't hurt too
> much. Much more life/AR (better resists from ammu means I can replace
> resist charms with AR charms) and better duration.
>
> I guess Lycant. only counts when you shift to WW, so if your level drops
> after shifting, it doesn't matter.

Without knowing yours or others playing styles i doesn't have the luxury
for going back to town for recasting oaks, bears, vines and ww.

Sometimes you meet some moon lords and other frenzy dudes that is able to
kill your minions, and when you go to places with OK and IM you have to
recast your bear on top of those so he can stun them so you safely can
take them out without they can cast any spells.

And i was a little mistaken about my amu, it have 3 res at 13% and the
last at 23%, so i don't gain resist by using saracens. And again i really
don't need more AR, it's just for the numbers, that's why i just letting
it flow :)

--
Sonni
Anonymous

> yeah, I just went through the calcs and wasn't very impressed by HoW:
>
> STR186 = 286%
> Fury L27 = 542%
> HOW L30 = 223%
> Might L22 = 250%
>
> If I take STR, Fury and add How, that's roughly 25% more damage. My level
> 75 might merc adds more damage.

OK, I guess I just basically haven't completely understood the damage
calculations. What your'e saying is that HOW doesn't double the total
damage, it doubles the basic damage and adds that to the total damage? If
that's the case, it makes sense to spend 20 skill points elsewhere...

How about, say, a jewel that has + to damage, either a percentage or a fixed
amount - how is that calculated into things? Is there any place I can read
about this?

Mvh. Otto
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:56:02 PM

>> yeah, I just went through the calcs and wasn't very impressed by HoW:
>>
>> STR186 = 286%
>> Fury L27 = 542%
>> HOW L30 = 223%
>> Might L22 = 250%
>>
> OK, I guess I just basically haven't completely understood the damage
> calculations. What your'e saying is that HOW doesn't double the total
> damage, it doubles the basic damage and adds that to the total damage?
> If that's the case, it makes sense to spend 20 skill points
> elsewhere...

Here is an archive with all important formulae:
http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551

Basically, you take your weapon damage, add all +x max/min damage you have
on other items, and then add up all percentages from skills and multiply
with the damage.

Damage= Weapon damage * (1 + STR/100 + Fury/100 + HoW/100 + Might/100)

> How about, say, a jewel that has + to damage, either a percentage or a
> fixed amount - how is that calculated into things? Is there any place
> I can read about this?

The jewel's percentage just would be added up like Fury, How and so on if
you put it in your armor or helmet. If you put it in the weapon, it would
directly increase weapon damage.

Weapon damage = Base damage * (1 + ED%/100) + x damage (from items).

If your base damage is 100 and the jewel is 30%ED:

Wd = 100 * (1 + 30/100) = 130.

Inserted above:

Damage = 130 * ( 1 + 1,86 + 5,42 + 2,23 + 2,5) = 130 * 12,01 = 1561,3.

HtH,

Oliver
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:54:37 PM

> Here is an archive with all important formulae:
> http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551

Thanks, I'll look into that.

> Damage= Weapon damage * (1 + STR/100 + Fury/100 + HoW/100 + Might/100)

OK, I get it. So the difference between HoW and not HoW isn't "double up".
Interesting.

>> How about, say, a jewel that has + to damage, either a percentage or a
>> fixed amount - how is that calculated into things? Is there any place
>> I can read about this?
>
> The jewel's percentage just would be added up like Fury, How and so on if
> you put it in your armor or helmet. If you put it in the weapon, it would
> directly increase weapon damage.

OK. How about a jewel that doesn't have a percentage, but gives, say, +20
max damage? I feel that these in low level games make a huge difference when
put in a helmet or armor - especially on an act 2 merc. My guess is this is
because it is added directly to weapon damage, instead of being a modifier?

Mvh. Otto
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:14:38 AM

> OK. How about a jewel that doesn't have a percentage, but gives, say,
> +20 max damage? I feel that these in low level games make a huge
> difference when put in a helmet or armor - especially on an act 2
> merc. My guess is this is because it is added directly to weapon
> damage, instead of being a modifier?

like +max/min damage from charms, that jewels +damage would be added to
the weapons base damage after the %ED on the weapon. In the example, 100
+ 30% + 20 max damage = 150 weapon damage.

Let's stay with the 100 weapon damage:

100 damage * 12,01 = 1200 damage
100 damage * 13,01 = 1300 damage (100% ED)
120 damage * 12,01 = 1440 damage (+20 max damage)

So, your jewel with +20 max damage wins hands-down against another 100%
added to HoW.

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:05:36 AM

> 100 damage * 12,01 = 1200 damage
> 100 damage * 13,01 = 1300 damage (100% ED)
> 120 damage * 12,01 = 1440 damage (+20 max damage)
>
> So, your jewel with +20 max damage wins hands-down against another 100%
> added to HoW.

Interesting... Thanks!
--
Mvh. Otto
**********************

> So, your jewel with +20 max damage wins hands-down against another 100%
> added to HoW.

(besides the fact that a +20 max damage jewel doesn't exist... ;-)

Mvh. Otto
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:50:18 PM

"Oliver Wenzel" <ouuch@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 2c1fj$g7t$04$1@news.t-online.com...
> Hi,
>
> Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:p an.2005.03.29.16.41.58.258993@yahoo.com:
>
> > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:16:23 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> >>
> >> I hope to get him there in his early 80ies. I like to take my time
> >> looking for stuff...
> >
> > I wasn't racing either. Really, I'm just supporting your point that
> > Fury Druid is one melee char capable of soloing Hell in 1.10 without
> > too much trouble provided some solution is found for PIs and avoiding
> > IM. In particular, the big life ball and minions make the Ancients
> > much easier for this build than for most other chars.
>
> I already found an Arioc's Needle dropped by some Fallen in Act1.
>
> These PI Ghosts in the Countess dungeon can be quite difficult in a boss
> pack, but normally Lawbringer's Decrep allows me to kill them.
>

> >> Why Lycan 20? Oh well, I guess another 50% life is a good addition in
> >> HC play? I'm currently at 2.2K life, I think I will pump a bunch of
> >> stat points in vit now.
> >
> > I state again that more life if helpful for *every* char. More chance
> > to stay alive, less need to retreat, harder to put in hit recovery,
> > etc.
>
> More life sure ain't bad, but I'll get it from life charms and vit points
> and not by putting more than 10 skill points into Lycan.
> I guess the +life percentages from WW, Lycan and Oak Sage add up? And
don't
> multiply somehow?

How many points do you have in Vit?
100 Vit, 20 Lycanthropy, and a less than lvl 15 Oak Sage (can't remember for
sure) gives my WB over 1000 life already, and he's only lvl 44 or so. I
figure I'll get up to 150 Vit, max OS, and then decide whether or not I
should max block or not. I'm leaning towards not, since my primary weapon
will probably be an Upped Ribcracker or a Buriza, and it would only be on
switch anyway.

Heh, unless someone knows how to get a Fleshripper down to 6-8 frames?

short

April 3, 2005 12:05:15 AM

On that special day, short, (shorts@zoominternet.net) said...

> I'm leaning towards not, since my primary weapon
> will probably be an Upped Ribcracker or a Buriza,

Just a question: How much better is an upped Ribcracker (I could make
one myself) compared to a

Fleshrender
Barbed Club
One-Hand Damage: 69 to 117
Durability: 18 of 56
Required Strength: 30
Required Level: 38
Mace Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 81
Fingerprint: (secret)
+168% Enhanced Damage
+35 to Minimum Damage
+50 to Maximum Damage
+20 Maximum Durability
+1 to Druid Skill Levels
Prevent Monster Heal
150% Damage to Undead
25% Chance of Open Wounds
20% Chance of Crushing Blow <- at least *some*
20% Deadly Strike
+2 to Shape-Shifting Skills (Druid Only)

or (upped?)

Dark Clan Crusher
Cudgel
One-Hand Damage: 17 to 61 (103-126)
Durability: 14 of 24
Required Strength: 25 (88)
Required Level: 34 (46)
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: (secret)
+195% Enhanced Damage
+2 to Druid Skill Levels
23% Bonus to Attack Rating
200% Damage to Demons
150% Damage to Undead
+200 to Attack Rating against Demons
+15 Life after each Demon Kill

If said druid is supposed to be a Rabies Wolf with Carrion Wind? I
know, there is the 50% chance of crushing blow (on non-PIs of course),
but the pluses to druid skills aren't bad, either.

I would really like to know.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

--
Patriarch Antenagenes, lvl89 SP Skelliemancer, might merc
Mathetic Fuchsia, lvl85 SP Firestrafer, conc merc (always dieing)

"Gabriele Neukam" <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 2mmsk$kqv$02$4@news.t-online.com...
> On that special day, short, (shorts@zoominternet.net) said...
>
> > I'm leaning towards not, since my primary weapon
> > will probably be an Upped Ribcracker or a Buriza,
>
> Just a question: How much better is an upped Ribcracker (I could make
> one myself) compared to a
>
> Fleshrender
> Barbed Club
> One-Hand Damage: 69 to 117
>
> or (upped?)

Would definitely need to upgraded :)  That about doubles the damage, IIRC.
My only thoughts would be that it is probably pretty slow......lemme look -
Not toooo bad, but 9 frames looks like the fastest (and that's witha Shael,
and lvl 7 WW). If you're using Rabies it would probably work OK, since you
don't want to keep on hitting them over and over anyway. The +skills are a
definite bonus there.
Looks like its only 15 frames for a WB though, so its out for me :)

> Dark Clan Crusher
> Cudgel
>
> If said druid is supposed to be a Rabies Wolf with Carrion Wind? I
> know, there is the 50% chance of crushing blow (on non-PIs of course),
> but the pluses to druid skills aren't bad, either.

This one is better speed wise, you can get it to 8 frames. If you're not
concerned with physical damage it wouldn't be a bad one at all. But even
upgraded, the phyiscal damage on this one would be pretty low.

> I would really like to know.

I think it stinks that the shifted forms start out so slow to begin with,
I'm pretty sure a Bear is faster than I would be if I was trying to hit
something. I mean, I can't bat a salmon out of a lake, even.

short

April 3, 2005 1:31:52 AM

Hi,

Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in
news:D 2mmsk$kqv$02$4@news.t-online.com:

> If said druid is supposed to be a Rabies Wolf with Carrion Wind? I
> know, there is the 50% chance of crushing blow (on non-PIs of course),
> but the pluses to druid skills aren't bad, either.
>
> I would really like to know.

from what I've found out about my level 79 WW Druid now, +skills are only
of interest when casting minions or shifting to were form..

I only loose minimal damage with my high-res ammu compared to a +2 Druid
skills ammu. When you're not using the fire tree, that is.
I aim for a 10 minute Lycan/WW duration and 2 levels less in Fury and
Feral Claws don't really matter. With more resists, I have more stash
space and could put damage/AR charms there. Or magic find...

And one nice trick: Share an Obedience thresher with your merc! When
starting out, I switch my Bonehew against his Obedience and wait until
the Enchant sets in. Then we switch back and both are happy..

And I'm gonna try to get to Patriarch only with Fury attack. So far,
Lawbringer's Decrep has gotten all PI's to surrender.

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 9:45:29 AM

Hi,

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in

> Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>
>> And one nice trick: Share an Obedience thresher with your merc! When
>> starting out, I switch my Bonehew against his Obedience and wait
>> until the Enchant sets in. Then we switch back and both are happy..
>
> I have an Obedience thresher on switch with my M'avazon of all
> characters for just this purpose.
>
> A question if you will: Why don't you use an Obedience full-time
> instead of the Bonehew?

Obedience only gets 3.5 attacks with WW and Fury. Bonehew with one SHAEL
gets to 5 attacks. As Fury always executes 5 strikes, it is even more
important to finish earlier - so you can react faster to dangers.

But I might switch to it against bosses.

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:21:25 AM

On that special day, Oliver Wenzel, (ouuch@t-online.de) said...

> And one nice trick: Share an Obedience thresher with your merc!

In Single Player? I really would like to, but that means modding.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 2:03:20 AM

Hi,

Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in
news:D 2pc6v$4eh$04$1@news.t-online.com:

> On that special day, Oliver Wenzel, (ouuch@t-online.de) said...
>
>> And one nice trick: Share an Obedience thresher with your merc!
>
> In Single Player? I really would like to, but that means modding.

that's one mod I wouldn't want to play without. And I haven't found a
single problem with it in several months. FWIW, I have had several crashes
before this mod. But almost none since I applied the patch. Knocking wood.

You can switch back quite easily by exchanging one file. And as your chars
aren't changed (except for items with new runewords), you can play normal
B-net again after switching back.

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 2:03:21 AM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 22:03:20 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in
> news:D 2pc6v$4eh$04$1@news.t-online.com:
>
>> On that special day, Oliver Wenzel, (ouuch@t-online.de) said...
>>
>>> And one nice trick: Share an Obedience thresher with your merc!
>>
>> In Single Player? I really would like to, but that means modding.
>
> that's one mod I wouldn't want to play without. And I haven't found a
> single problem with it in several months. FWIW, I have had several crashes
> before this mod. But almost none since I applied the patch. Knocking wood.
>
> You can switch back quite easily by exchanging one file. And as your chars
> aren't changed (except for items with new runewords), you can play normal
> B-net again after switching back.

Can you comment on how balance and difficulty issues compare to the
non-modded 1.10 version?
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:35:43 AM

news:p an.2005.04.03.21.05.24.900701@yahoo.com:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 22:03:20 +0200, Oliver Wenzel wrote:
>
>> that's one mod I wouldn't want to play without. And I haven't found a
>> single problem with it in several months. FWIW, I have had several
>> crashes before this mod. But almost none since I applied the patch.
>> Knocking wood.
>>
>> You can switch back quite easily by exchanging one file. And as your
>> chars aren't changed (except for items with new runewords), you can
>> play normal B-net again after switching back.
>
> Can you comment on how balance and difficulty issues compare to the
> non-modded 1.10 version?

I don't think this mod changes balance too much. It only activates all
runewords available on closed b-net in SP.

It makes life in SP a little easier, if you can find the runes. There
aren't too many ladder-only runewords that are affordable.

Regards,

Oliver
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 9:18:28 PM

On that special day, Oliver Wenzel, (ouuch@t-online.de) said...

> that's one mod I wouldn't want to play without. And I haven't found a
> single problem with it in several months.

I must somehow have missed the name of this mod. What do I have to look
for? I would really like to give an Insight stick to my pally, and have
him walk in his additional sanctuary aura, constantly spamming hammers.
OTOH, he would lose +3 skills from Atlantean and a rare shield with +2
all...

So, a four socket shield with spirit would be the way to go. Yesterday
I found a superior Gilded, and sent my old 1.09 necro Anander to
Larzuk, using up his last socket quest, for four sockets. With the mod,
I could make decent use of it.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

--
Patriarch Antenagenes, lvl89 SP Skelliemancer, might merc
Mathetic Fuchsia, lvl85 SP Firestrafer, conc merc (always dieing)
Champion Malladictus, lvl68 SP Hammerdin, fire rogue
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 10:30:37 PM

On that special day, Gabriele Neukam, (Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-
online.de) said...

> he would lose +3 skills from Atlantean and a rare shield with +2
> all...

umm, that means: three +skills from *both* items, one level from the
Atlantean alone; this was a really badly phrased one of a sentence.

Sorry

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:05:22 PM

Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote in
news:D 2rlrt$g1$04$1@news.t-online.com:

> On that special day, Oliver Wenzel, (ouuch@t-online.de) said...
>
>> that's one mod I wouldn't want to play without. And I haven't found a
>> single problem with it in several months.
>
> I must somehow have missed the name of this mod. What do I have to look
> for? I would really like to give an Insight stick to my pally, and have
> him walk in his additional sanctuary aura, constantly spamming hammers.
> OTOH, he would lose +3 skills from Atlantean and a rare shield with +2
> all...

http://chaosempire.net/patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip

Just copy the file to your d2 directory (and save the old file if you
want to go back). But if you go back and your char has an item with a
ladder runeword on him, the item will go *poof*..

> So, a four socket shield with spirit would be the way to go. Yesterday
> I found a superior Gilded, and sent my old 1.09 necro Anander to
> Larzuk, using up his last socket quest, for four sockets. With the mod,
> I could make decent use of it.

Yeah, gave my Pally a nice Spirit shield with lots of resists. And made
another Spirit in a normal shield. The 156 STR requirement is a little
steep, but with +STR rings my Enchantress can use it - for a hefty level
36 Enchant.

Have Fun,

Oliver
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:30:17 PM

On that special day, Oliver Wenzel, (ouuch@t-online.de) said...

> http://chaosempire.net/patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip

"Not Found

The requested URL /patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip was not found on
this server."

It seems, you have to view the "please donate" page first, before you
can download it. Still, thanks for the URL.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:49:06 AM

"Gabriele Neukam" <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:D 2ueeh$3u2$04$1@news.t-online.com...
> On that special day, Oliver Wenzel, (ouuch@t-online.de) said...
>
>> http://chaosempire.net/patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip
>
> "Not Found
>
> The requested URL /patch_d2_aurafix_runewords27.zip was not found on
> this server."
>
> It seems, you have to view the "please donate" page first, before you
> can download it. Still, thanks for the URL.
>

> Gabriele Neukam
>
> Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de
>

> --
> Ah, Information. A property, too valuable these days, to give it away,
> just so, at no cost.

yep, look here:

http://chaosempire.net/aurafix.htm
!