Found me a Lo rune, what now?

Hi,

The Easter-Bunny decided to be very, very generous this Easter to me, and
one of the Skeletal Warriors in Hell Pindleskin's garden, dropped me a Lo
rune when I was collecting my army there with my MF Skelliemancer.

So now my rune-collection constists of (from high to low):

1 x Lo
1 x Vex
1 x Gul

And multiple of every rune below that.

So what do I do with this Lo rune? Having looked at the Arreat Summit, the
only runewords I can make with the runes I have are either Grief, or
Fortitude.

Current ongoing projects which might need a gear update are: IK Barb (he
doesn't really need or want anything using a runeword, since all slots are
taken by the IK set), FO/Li Sorc, Zealot.

However, I started building the Zealot because I found a Stormlash myself,
and though I'd use this as his end-game weapon. So while a Grief weapon
sounds nice, that wasn't really the plan. And, how does a Grief weapon
(Phase Blade or Berzerker Axe, which one is preferred?) compare to
Stormlash?

The other option would be a Fortitude armor, but I'm not really sure why
I'd make this... And who could use this? A merc? (Expensive armor for a
merc!), or the Zealot again, in the hopes of upping his damage even more?

Any input would be welcome...

Regards,

Patrick.

rwb

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Easter-Bunny decided to be very, very generous this Easter to me,
and
> one of the Skeletal Warriors in Hell Pindleskin's garden, dropped me
a Lo
> rune when I was collecting my army there with my MF Skelliemancer.
>
> So now my rune-collection constists of (from high to low):
>
> 1 x Lo
> 1 x Vex
> 1 x Gul
>
> And multiple of every rune below that.
>
> So what do I do with this Lo rune? Having looked at the Arreat
Summit, the
> only runewords I can make with the runes I have are either Grief, or
> Fortitude.
>
> Current ongoing projects which might need a gear update are: IK Barb
(he
> doesn't really need or want anything using a runeword, since all
slots are
> taken by the IK set), FO/Li Sorc, Zealot.
>
> However, I started building the Zealot because I found a Stormlash
myself,
> and though I'd use this as his end-game weapon. So while a Grief
weapon
> sounds nice, that wasn't really the plan. And, how does a Grief
weapon
> (Phase Blade or Berzerker Axe, which one is preferred?) compare to
> Stormlash?
>
> The other option would be a Fortitude armor, but I'm not really sure
why
> I'd make this... And who could use this? A merc? (Expensive armor for
> merc!), or the Zealot again, in the hopes of upping his damage even
more?

> Any input would be welcome...
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.

Ohh Good GRIEF!! that weapon is just unbleivable on a smiter so maybe
as a backup for the stomlash on the zealot to take down those nasty
bosses in about 5 secounds!!! Phase blade all the way!!!
Robert (clcrw west)

keith

Fortitude is well worth making as it can boost a lot of
chars in damage,defence,life and resists.You could
make a lot of builds more viable with this armor so you
would get lots of use out of it and its pretty cheap to make
once you have the LO.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Grief is best for a smiter because of the +350-400 damage modifier
(which is one of the few kinds of weapon modifiers that carries over
for smite). When you figure that elite paladin shields do an average
of about 46 damage and that holy shield only adds another 100 damage
even at level 30, you can see why that's an insane amount of damage to
hand to a smiter.

That said, almost any character will benefit from a fortitude armor.
So if you have no intention of ever making a smiter, that's your
obvious choice.

Fortitude armor is great for a melee char.. it will boost dmg nice (my
bowzon does 1200 more dmg with that armor)
and its great for your zealot

Clincher

"Patrick Vervoorn" <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
message news:1ad20$42491bce$82a1d3bf$32185@news1.tudelft.nl...

In article <1112091174.752538.193070@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
RWB <clcrwb@cox-internet.com> wrote:

> Ohh Good GRIEF!! that weapon is just unbleivable on a smiter so maybe
>as a backup for the stomlash on the zealot to take down those nasty
>bosses in about 5 secounds!!! Phase blade all the way!!!

Well, I wasn't planning on making a Smiter, though indeed a Grief weapon
is the best weapon for one.

Stormlash has 33% CB, so I think this also makes short order of those
nasty bosses. Why would Grief be better than that?

It would maybe be a nice backup weapon, but I'm not spending a Lo rune on
a backup weapon. :)

Regards,

Patrick.

no i actually dont see why grief would be good for smiter, i rather use
astereons for more crushing

Clincher

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:16:50 +0200, Clincher wrote:

> no i actually dont see why grief would be good for smiter, i rather use
> astereons for more crushing

Crushing blow takes a percentage of remaining monster life.
So one wants a good crushing blow percentage and good damage,
for optimizing overall killing speed. Crushing blow effect is
also reduced against champions and bosses. But even
when a regular monster has 10k life to start, 33% crushing blow
gives you 33% chance to take 2K of life so that is only a bit
more than 100% chance of 400K extra damage.

> Clincher
>
> "phil" <google@donotcall.cjb.net> wrote in message
>> Grief is best for a smiter because of the +350-400 damage modifier
>> (which is one of the few kinds of weapon modifiers that carries over
>> for smite). When you figure that elite paladin shields do an average
>> of about 46 damage and that holy shield only adds another 100 damage
>> even at level 30, you can see why that's an insane amount of damage to
>> hand to a smiter.
>>
>> That said, almost any character will benefit from a fortitude armor.
>> So if you have no intention of ever making a smiter, that's your
>> obvious choice.

i got 98% crushing on my smiter and kill Dclone in around 20 secs without
any problems (Dclone having 642k life)

Clincher

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:17:17 +0200, Clincher wrote:

> i got 98% crushing on my smiter and kill Dclone in around 20 secs without
> any problems (Dclone having 642k life)

DClone is a special case because his life and Phys Res are so high.
The same calc applies but the benefit is tilted way over towards
crushing blow always being more useful.

In article <d2fiu5$pd7$1@renew.usenet.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

[Found Lo, snipped rest. :)]

>Stormlash is unbeatable IMO. You just can't beat that Static Field firing
>off all the time, reducing monsters to 50% life in hell. (33% in nm and 25%
>in normal. Although, with a lvl 82 req you won't be using it in any
>difficulty other than hell usually.) Take into account the 33% CB, lightning
>damage (*and* absorb) and the speed of the weapon and your obvious choice
>becomes..........

It's great to hear it's such a nice weapon, because I haven't been able to
use it yet, because my Pally is still in diapers. ;)

>> The other option would be a Fortitude armor, but I'm not really sure
>> why I'd make this... And who could use this? A merc? (Expensive armor
>> for a merc!), or the Zealot again, in the hopes of upping his damage
>> even more?
>>
>> Any input would be welcome...
>
>Fortitude armour for the Pally. Not only will it up his damage considerably
>but it'll give him resists, life, life regen, +5% to max lightning resist
>(combined with Stormlash' lightning absorb makes gloams easy and Diablo's
>pink attack hardly a threat).

I was actually thinking about a (possibly upped) Guardian Angel, since I
have a spare one laying around.

>I mean, +300% ED? Wow!! I want it now. My Pally only has Duress (+10-20%
>ED)

Or Duress indeed. :)

Suppose I make Fortitude, what armour should I make it in? I don't have
that many Elite armours. Off the top of my head I have a Superior Great
Hauberk, a Superior Wire Fleece, and just recently I found a rather nice,
non-superior (but 515 def) Archon Plate. All will get 4 sockets from
Larzuk.

I understood the repair costs of Superior armors + runeword are
astronomical, but since I've never tried this, I don't want to find out I
spend all my gold on repairing the Fortitude. (I like gambling my gold).

So, should I put in a Superior armour, or the non-superior Archon Plate?

>What type of zealot? The usual Fana I guess?

Well, he's level 15, so not much decisions have been made. I was indeed
thinking about maxing Zeal, Sacrifice, Fanaticism, and beyond that, no
real ideas.

>I find the 'Lash (without the
>rum and sodomy<g>) goes particularly well with elemental auras like Holy
>Freeze. I have a Freezealot (with Drac's, and might merc with Obedience) who
>can be totally surrounded by monsters (hell cows for instance) and the
>combination of the static and his aural damage kills monsters on the
>periphery waiting to get to him.

Hmmm, this is a maxed Holy Freeze? I too have Dracul's and was planning on
using that too. Also found Goreriders myself, so that also goes onto the
Zealot. Other gear is still more or less undecided, and since I haven't
been playing him much, all options are actually still wide open. :)

>BTW, I find a Cresent Moon Phase Blade is a good weapon to use while you are
>growing into the 'Lash, it's sorta like the 'Lash's little brother. Shame
>you can't make it in a scourge.

I don't think I have a 3 socket Phase Blade, but I can always try to make
one. I also have plenty mid-level uniques to get this Zealot to lvl 82, so
no real problems there, I think.

Regards,

Patrick.

True, repairs of superior are VERY high (or use the armor+ral rune recipe to
repair)
either use the great hauberk or the archon (both give better look to pally
then wire fleece)

message news:189e5$424bb729$82a1d3bf$762@news2.tudelft.nl...

In article <d2gjbi$t8a$1@news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
Clincher <drevil23500@hotmail.com> wrote:
>True, repairs of superior are VERY high (or use the armor+ral rune recipe to
>repair)

Well, I use every Ral rune I find to craft Caster Amulets with, so I don't
want to waste them on repairing my armor.

>either use the great hauberk or the archon (both give better look to pally
>then wire fleece)

Well, the Great Hauberk is Superior for sure, so that means high repair
costs. So that probably means it'll go into the Archon Plate, since the
sale of that via the trade forum isn't going that well...

It looks I'll be making a Fortitude armor pretty soon now. :)

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <d2h0dl$h6s$1@renew.usenet.net.nz>,
~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

>> It's great to hear it's such a nice weapon, because I haven't been
>> able to use it yet, because my Pally is still in diapers. ;)
>
>It's an excellent weapon. I have a zealot using one and a frenzy barb using
>another one (paired with an 'Oath' ethereal scourge)

Well, I only have one. The other golden Scourge I found torned out to be a
Horizon's Tornado. :(

>> I was actually thinking about a (possibly upped) Guardian Angel,
>> since I have a spare one laying around.
>
>I used to think that the GA was the shiznit for pallys. Now all mine are
>either given away or on mules.

Well, if you have enough resists elsewhere, the +15 max res-all is nothing
to sneeze at; makes him practically invulnerable to any elemental attack.

>I use Duress quite a bit as it's very cheap for what you get.

I only have 1 Duress, in an ethereal superior Dusk Shroud, on the merc of
my MF Skelliemancer (to max CB, to kill Baal as quickly as possible)

>Archon for sure. I have a friend who made Chains of Honour in a superior
>Wire Fleece and for each one durability point it needed repairing it cost
>35,000 gold. She collected the runes for another CoH and ended up putting
>the superior one on her merc.

OK, the archon it is, or rather, going to be... ;)

>> Well, he's level 15, so not much decisions have been made. I was
>> indeed thinking about maxing Zeal, Sacrifice, Fanaticism, and beyond
>> that, no real ideas.
>
>Just take zeal up to about 6 until you've got most of your other points
>sorted (aura and shield). At least I find that way works best, get good
>killing power/defence earlier. I always used to max Zeal first, I don't
>anymore. Don't forget Holy Shield, you'll need a few points in that for
>sure, I like it maxed personally.

Well, he has about 4 or 5 points in Zeal for now, enough to get the max #
of attacks. Since he's still level 15, no progress here yet.

>Yep, maxed HF plus maxed res cold (27 with +skills) and level 17 Salvation
>(Both synergies for HF). That gives HF aura damage of 296-300 each time it
>pulses. His gear is 'Lash with an Amn, HoZ, Duress in an Archon, Harly
>Crest with P-Topaz, res all +23 Mara's, Drac's, Goreriders, String of Ears,
>Carrionwind, Ravenfrost and an Anni. Resists are topped up with charms.
>
>Maxed Holy Shield and Zeal, Sacrifice getting points now as Salvation is
>fairly high. Character level 87.

Interesting build, and doable gear, though the HoZ could be a bit of a
problem though (I don't have too many of those laying around :).

>I put the Amn in the 'Lash when I was wearing different gear (Highlords
>Wrath ammy, +20% IAS. Before I got my Drac's too so needed more leech). Now,
>I might 'Hel' it out and put a Shael in (or a nice 15% IAS with extras if I
>can find it) or, take the P-Topaz out of the Shako and put an IAS jewel
>there insteadand keep the extra leech. The second-highest speed breakpoint
>(with zeal) for a Scourge is 45% IAS for 5fpa. 'Lash has 30% already. The
>next breakpoint for maximum speed is 145% IAS which I won't get. <g>. I'm
>glad I answered you here, I'd noticed he didn't seem as fast but didn't
>'click' that I'd dropped to 6fpa until I just tallied up. I *will* be fixing
>that.
>
>However, with level 20 Fanatacism (if you go that way) you only need a total
>of 40% IAS to get to the highest speed, 4fpa (or 6.2 attacks per second) so
>that still leaves you looking for a bit of IAS other than 'Lash's own.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep this in mind when outfitting the Pally.
But first level him up a bit, so I have more choices available.

>> I don't think I have a 3 socket Phase Blade, but I can always try to
>> make one. I also have plenty mid-level uniques to get this Zealot to
>> lvl 82, so no real problems there, I think.
>
>Cool, good luck with him. I like zealots, I have three so far on current
>ladder. Holy Freeze are my favourite by far.

I've only played one, in SP. Started him in 1.09, switched to 1.10, and
found out I needed more/better gear to survive Hell, though that basic
build still worked (5 Zeal, maxed Fana, Conv, Vengeance and put some
points here and there).

Another question, regarding barbs: is my observation correct that 'On
striking' mods don't work when whirlwinding? I have a Baezil's Vortex
(unique Knout) which has a x% chance to cast level 8 nova on striking, but
when WWing, the nova never goes off!?

Regards,

Patrick.

In article <424c931d@news01.wxnz.net>, ~misfit~ <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:
>phil wrote:
>> But it's easy enough to get crushing blow off weapon.
>
>You can't have too much crushing blow.

That's definately true. :)

>> You can't get
>> +400 damage anywhere but on a weapon.
>
>So what do you call the 20% enhanced damage on Duress armour, coupled with a
>40% ED jewel in a helm? Maybe another jewel in the shield?

It was my understanding the +400 damage on Grief was used in the dmg
calculated _before_ all damage modifiers are added. So 400 adds up to,
potentionally, a lot more when 200+ED is added. But since I never made a
Grief I have no idea whether this is true.

Regards,

Patrick.

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> It was my understanding the +400 damage on Grief was used in the dmg
> calculated _before_ all damage modifiers are added. So 400 adds up to,
> potentionally, a lot more when 200+ED is added. But since I never made a
> Grief I have no idea whether this is true.

I cheated in SP to make a Grief sword (using the CE mod's patch
that allows realm-only runewords in SP), then used Zonfire to
check the mods. This was what I got:

+63 to +127 damage (varying, see below)
+11 Life per Kill
+35% IAS (range is supposedly 30-40%)
Ignore Target's Defense
+35% Chance to Cast slvl 15 Venom
+1.875%/clvl Damage to Demons
-20% to Enemy Poison Resistance

The mods are somehow different to what are listed on Arreats
Summit, and I don't know which one is more accurate (we all know
how infamously inaccurate/outdated AS is despite being the
official LOD source.)

Anyway, using Zonfire to check the damage modifier, it looks
like the "+63~127 damage" mod is actually +63 Min Damage and
+127 Max Damage. If this is the real case, then it won't work
with Smite. The "+85 Damage" mod on Asteron is a +Damage mod
unrelated to +Min/Max.

I don't have a Lo on realm (and won't try it even if I had one
^_^). Has anyone ever made a Grief weapon on realm yet?

Bing

In article <Yfc3e.4645$Kb3.3460@fe11.lga>,
Bingain <bingain@doYouYahoo.com> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>> It was my understanding the +400 damage on Grief was used in the dmg
>> calculated _before_ all damage modifiers are added. So 400 adds up to,
>> potentionally, a lot more when 200+ED is added. But since I never made a
>> Grief I have no idea whether this is true.
>
>I cheated in SP to make a Grief sword (using the CE mod's patch
>that allows realm-only runewords in SP), then used Zonfire to
>check the mods. This was what I got:
>
>+63 to +127 damage (varying, see below)
>+11 Life per Kill
>+35% IAS (range is supposedly 30-40%)
>Ignore Target's Defense
>+35% Chance to Cast slvl 15 Venom
>+1.875%/clvl Damage to Demons
>-20% to Enemy Poison Resistance
>
>The mods are somehow different to what are listed on Arreats
>Summit, and I don't know which one is more accurate (we all know
>how infamously inaccurate/outdated AS is despite being the
>official LOD source.)

Well, but the errors are usually in the details, not in such obvious
things as the range of damage.

>Anyway, using Zonfire to check the damage modifier, it looks
>like the "+63~127 damage" mod is actually +63 Min Damage and
>+127 Max Damage. If this is the real case, then it won't work
>with Smite. The "+85 Damage" mod on Asteron is a +Damage mod
>unrelated to +Min/Max.
>
>I don't have a Lo on realm (and won't try it even if I had one
>^_^). Has anyone ever made a Grief weapon on realm yet?

Well, I have seen plenty people swearing it's the best weapon for a Smiter
by far, and I also see plenty going up for trade on Blizzard's official
forum. _THE_ mod which determines it's price is the +damage, and I see
+400's going for lots and lots of (high) runes.

So it seems someone mistranslated the Grief runeword into the CE mod...?

I have a Lo, and one only, but I was actually planning to make Fortitude,
not Grief, however interesting it may seem. Sorry. :)

Regards,

Patrick.