buying items for REAL money?

Jeep

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003

who would do this? and why? i like cool armor as much as the next guy...but
i dont think i would give $18 of real cash for it

On 31-Mar-2005, "jeep" <me@my.com> wrote:

> who would do this?

Someone with more money than brains.

> and why?

See above. The answer they might make for themselves might be that they
don't have the time to play enough to find/trade for specific items, well,
then they just shouldn't bother if they can't *live* the game like some of
us do. ;)

> i like cool armor as much as the next
> guy...but
> i dont think i would give $18 of real cash for it

Ditto. Although I did send money to Chaos Energy, the creator of the
Chaos Empire mod, that was for a new *game* (sort of), not just a new
*item*. (heh, cost me $27.03 USD to send him 20.00 euros thru paypal)
--
Don't Panic!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"jeep" <me@my.com> wrote in message news:Uo_2e.58319$hA3.51772@trnddc09...
> who would do this? and why? i like cool armor as much as the next
> guy...but i dont think i would give $18 of real cash for it

i'd pay $1.oo for 5 sets of cool items...
everyone has a price.

i'd even let someone enter my rear end for $2 million.

-a|ex

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:10:45 +0000, ArtDent wrote:

> On 31-Mar-2005, "jeep" <me@my.com> wrote:
>
>> who would do this?
>
> Someone with more money than brains.

Or someone with much more money than available time.

-Grimper

Ryan

"jeep" <me@my.com> wrote in message news:Uo_2e.58319$hA3.51772@trnddc09...
> who would do this? and why? i like cool armor as much as the next
> guy...but i dont think i would give $18 of real cash for it

Look on ebay, it's a pretty common thing...not to mention the large number
of items sites dedicated entirely to selling items. Some charge $3-5 for a
high rune....real money for a completely intangable item.

RobR

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2004

"Ryan" <kamuica@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "jeep" <me@my.com> wrote in message news:Uo_2e.58319$hA3.51772@trnddc09...
>> who would do this? and why? i like cool armor as much as the next
>> guy...but i dont think i would give $18 of real cash for it
>>

> Look on ebay, it's a pretty common thing...not to mention the large number
> of items sites dedicated entirely to selling items. Some charge $3-5 for a
> high rune....real money for a completely intangable item.

remember when LOD first came out? i remember Windforce
regularly fetched well over $1000 until it started being duped.

there were also uber-lances selling for $300+

"RobR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Ryan" <kamuica@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "jeep" <me@my.com> wrote in message
> >> who would do this? and why? i like cool armor as much as the next
> >> guy...but i dont think i would give $18 of real cash for it
> >>

> > Look on ebay, it's a pretty common thing...not to mention the large
number
> > of items sites dedicated entirely to selling items. Some charge $3-5 for
> > high rune....real money for a completely intangable item.
> >

> remember when LOD first came out? i remember Windforce
> regularly fetched well over $1000 until it started being duped.
>
> there were also uber-lances selling for $300+

Its all about supply & demand... some people would literally kill for a good
item in a game :¬/

Trammel is a member of DWC (http://dwc.no-ip.org)
(Please reply to group only)

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> Trammel wrote:
> >
> > Its all about supply & demand... some people would literally kill for
> > a good item in a game :¬/
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4397159.stm
>
> Yeah, I remember reading about that.
>
> Did your auction finish yet? How much did you get?

Its not finished yet. Its currently at $33.00 but the highest bidder has a
rating of -1 :¬/
Yup... MINUS-1 :¬(

I have requested his details from eBay in an attempt to add him to my MSN
and question him but he has no address or email details on file (only a US
telephone number and Im in the Uk). I have therefor emailed him with the
"Contact buyer" button in the hope he just has an unverified email
address... but I will be cancelling his bid and banning him from bidding on
the auction if I dont receive a response by later today.

The last item he won on was a mule account for UsEast which he failed to pay
for and didnt respond to emails so I guess its best to cut him loose :¬/

--

"Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> > Did your auction finish yet? How much did you get?
>

> Its not finished yet. Its currently at $33.00 but the highest bidder has
> rating of -1 :¬/
> Yup... MINUS-1 :¬(
>
> I have requested his details from eBay in an attempt to add him to my MSN
> and question him but he has no address or email details on file (only a US
> telephone number and Im in the Uk). I have therefor emailed him with the
> "Contact buyer" button in the hope he just has an unverified email
> address... but I will be cancelling his bid and banning him from bidding
on
> the auction if I dont receive a response by later today.
>
> The last item he won on was a mule account for UsEast which he failed to
pay
> for and didnt respond to emails so I guess its best to cut him loose :¬/

Thinking myself an evil, insensitive prick for only giving him one day to
contact me... I rang the telephone number that "johnnyboiz2005" has on file
with eBay... which looked suspiciously like a made-up number... and it is.

The number is actually registered to a doctor in CA who doesn't take
calls... and has a full voice-mail box (with a name completely different to
that on eBay records).

I am now banning this person from bidding on my auction, informing eBay
about the fraudulant account and cancelling his bid. Current bid should
drop back down to $31.00 :¬)

--

> "Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
> > > Did your auction finish yet? How much did you get?
> >

> > Its not finished yet. Its currently at $33.00 but the highest bidder
has
> > rating of -1 :¬/
> > Yup... MINUS-1 :¬(
> >
> > I have requested his details from eBay in an attempt to add him to my
MSN
> > and question him but he has no address or email details on file (only a
US
> > telephone number and Im in the Uk). I have therefor emailed him with
the
> > "Contact buyer" button in the hope he just has an unverified email
> > address... but I will be cancelling his bid and banning him from bidding
> on
> > the auction if I dont receive a response by later today.
> >
> > The last item he won on was a mule account for UsEast which he failed to
> pay
> > for and didnt respond to emails so I guess its best to cut him loose :¬/
> >

> Thinking myself an evil, insensitive prick for only giving him one day to
> contact me... I rang the telephone number that "johnnyboiz2005" has on
file
> with eBay... which looked suspiciously like a made-up number... and it is.
>
> The number is actually registered to a doctor in CA who doesn't take
> calls... and has a full voice-mail box (with a name completely different
> that on eBay records).
>
> I am now banning this person from bidding on my auction, informing eBay
> about the fraudulant account and cancelling his bid. Current bid should
> drop back down to $31.00 :¬)

Since the NEW highest-bidder ("thomasl881" - since I banned the $33.00 guy)
has a rating of 0 and is a newly registered user of eBay too... I decided to
request their contact details from eBay and validate the buyer again...

This time I got an answer-machine and it stated their names so atleast I
know we can get in touch if they win the auction and have any problems
paying for / collecting the items :¬)

*stops being responsible for a bit and goes to play Continuum
(Trenchwars-top server) as Felucca*

--

> "Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
>> "Trammel" <Me@Server.com> wrote in message
>> > "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoot.co.nz> wrote in message
>> >

>> > Its not finished yet. Its currently at $33.00 but the highest bidder
> has
>> > rating of -1 :¬/
>> > Yup... MINUS-1 :¬(
>> >
>> > I have requested his details from eBay in an attempt to add him to my
> MSN
>> > and question him but he has no address or email details on file (only a
> US
>> > telephone number and Im in the Uk). I have therefor emailed him with
> the
>> > "Contact buyer" button in the hope he just has an unverified email
>> > address... but I will be cancelling his bid and banning him from
>> > bidding
>> on
>> > the auction if I dont receive a response by later today.
>> >
>> > The last item he won on was a mule account for UsEast which he failed
>> pay
>> > for and didnt respond to emails so I guess its best to cut him loose
>> > :¬/
>> >

>> Thinking myself an evil, insensitive prick for only giving him one day to
>> contact me... I rang the telephone number that "johnnyboiz2005" has on
> file
>> with eBay... which looked suspiciously like a made-up number... and it
>> is.
>>
>> The number is actually registered to a doctor in CA who doesn't take
>> calls... and has a full voice-mail box (with a name completely different
>> that on eBay records).
>>
>> I am now banning this person from bidding on my auction, informing eBay
>> about the fraudulant account and cancelling his bid. Current bid should
>> drop back down to $31.00 :¬)
>>

> Since the NEW highest-bidder ("thomasl881" - since I banned the $33.00
> guy)
> has a rating of 0 and is a newly registered user of eBay too... I decided
> request their contact details from eBay and validate the buyer again...
>
> This time I got an answer-machine and it stated their names so atleast I
> know we can get in touch if they win the auction and have any problems
> paying for / collecting the items :¬)
>
> *stops being responsible for a bit and goes to play Continuum
> (Trenchwars-top server) as Felucca*

I also noticed that bidder's rating. It is remarkable that you have made
such an effort to verify this stuff. It is definitely reassuring for those
who are really interested to know that bogus bidders are weeded out.

My hat's off to you, Sir.