weird monsters in hell act five

a few weeks ago, i went treasure hunting with my bowazon on act 5,
hell difficulty. while wandering around the battleground / wilderness
area, i noticed some really odd monsters showing up that i'd never
seen in act 5 before... quill rats and magic throwing skeletons being
what stands out the most. i figured it was a glitch in the game.

fastforward a few weeks. using hero editor, i've set all the quests
and waypoints over for my bowazon for hell level, to go magic hunting
with her and at least having some goals to do. this evening, i killed
diabo, then hit up act five.

imagine my surprise at finding *again*, some very odd monsters. quill
rats and skeletons showed up in the bloody foothills. the frigid
highlands had slingers and evil archers. inside the crystelline
passage i encountered *ghosts*!

in the multiple times i have played this game over and over again,
never have i encountered these critters in these areas.

these locations had some of the proper monsters you would expect, like
enslaved, death mauler, overseers and imps.

anyone ever encounter something weird like this before?

cassandra

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote:

>Since the introduction of patch 1.10 there are random monsters generated in
>all of act 5. You may find any monster from any other act through act 5 now.
>Did you recently upgrade to ver. 1.10?

ah! that would explain it! i'd upgraded a few months ago to 1.10,
but hadn't played act 5. makes sense now. thanks! :)

cassandra

Cassandra,
Hero editor?? I assume it is a program that will reset the quests
> and waypoints for a character??

I'm somewhat new to the game and really like my Bow-Zon but she has
completed all the quests through hell. If I get this Hero Editor and reset
the quests will i lose any experience points, weapons, etc...?

Basically I would like to get the quests that would allow me to
socket a weapon, without having to completely rework a new character to
that point and do the whol etransfer thing.

Thanks for any help on the matter

LAZ

On 2005-04-08, KH <Not.Now@ver.net> wrote:
> which editor do you suggest??

Hero editor is very good. I usually use it to create items to test out a
build before I start trading for the items on b.net.

--
Vladimir Niksic
vniksic@inet.h

KH <Not.Now@ver.net> wrote:

>Cassandra,
> Hero editor?? I assume it is a program that will reset the quests
> and waypoints for a character??
>
> I'm somewhat new to the game and really like my Bow-Zon but she has
>completed all the quests through hell. If I get this Hero Editor and reset
>the quests will i lose any experience points, weapons, etc...?
>
> Basically I would like to get the quests that would allow me to
>socket a weapon, without having to completely rework a new character to
>that point and do the whol etransfer thing.

best thing to do is back up your character *first* by copying the
"save" folder in your "diablo 2" folder, and then experiment.

i used hero editor to reset all my quests and waypoints for hell
difficulty level. i'm not sure if you can reset one quest so you can
get the bonuses of it. i've not tried that. you can do so by saving
the character, edit it, then go test it out. if it doesn't work, or
give you the results you want, copy over it with your backup and try
again.

it's possible too that instead of going through the quests
individually, you edit your items to get the sockets.

and to answer your question, resetting the quests doesn't change
anything other than your quests. i finished hell level at around
level 78 or so. i reset the quests and started hell level over with
all the same items, etc, at level 78. you can change your experience
if you want to with the editor, but that's just way too much cheating
for my liking personally. :) i redid the quests because i wanted to
go magic hunting and have actual goals to accomplish, so i aimed for
redoing hell level.

hope that helps.

cassandra

On that special day, forever darkness, (spirit@cyberbeach.netSpAmBoT)
said...

> i redid the quests because i wanted to
> go magic hunting and have actual goals to accomplish, so i aimed for
> redoing hell level.

If you have two machines, you can just as well start the game with
something that I call a "virgin" (in this case, a character that has
finished NM, but not started hell), and then run the bosses with your
finished character. the drops will be just the same, as if the
"virgin" had met the bosses.

Be careful that no other "virgin" joins the game, while your own is
still standing in town, else the "quest finished in town" bug will kick
in.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.