Sign in with
Your question

What's wrong with Crucial?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2002 2:42:40 AM

Is Crucial giving us the finger?
How come they are selling a 8500LE with <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CTV8..." target="_new">crappy 6ns memory timing</A> while all others are either 3.6ns or 3.3ns.
Aren't they an established and reputable performance memory distributor or what?
If someone could clear that out for me, I'd very much appreciate.

<font color=red>If you feel like going to work today, just lie down and it'll go away.</font color=red>

More about : wrong crucial

August 28, 2002 4:02:00 PM

Yes they are a reputable memory seller, but their reputation isn't in video cards. They price their cards lower than the R8500LE BBA. It's really like a 3rd party manufacturer, and they use micron chips, just like sapphire uses 5ns RAM on some of theirs.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 28, 2002 5:36:37 PM

I read that Sapphire is the manufacturer of the Crucial Video cards.

<b>[EDIT]</b>
I found the link.

<A HREF="http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1186" target="_new">http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1186&l...;/A>

Notice the Sapphire label on one of the DRAMs.

I suspect this is the very same card that Sapphire was once selling as an 8500 LELE.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 08/28/02 01:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
August 28, 2002 5:40:00 PM

Ok... well, you know what I mean though.

<i>Past mistakes may make you look stupid, but avoiding future ones will make you look smart!</i>
August 28, 2002 6:38:48 PM

Well, that's a shame!
I would have expected more from a high-end memory manufacturer.
Or maybe (surely), ATI doesn't want third party vendors to have cards that outperform their own.

<font color=red>If you feel like going to work today, just lie down and it'll go away.</font color=red>
August 28, 2002 6:50:27 PM

Just read that article you linked us to and I just have to say that I'm disappointed in Crucial. But as the article said, the card is only aimed at mainstream users.
Nevertheless, the card doesn't even come close to overcoming the crappy GF4MX in Quake3 and THAT tarnishes the reputation of the 8500 series.
At least it has DX8, while GF4MX doesn't support it.
Again, I know this card is only intended for casual users, but I believe it's a waste of GPU power. Crucial should have used the 7500 instead.

August 28, 2002 7:08:21 PM

Personally, I think it is a bit of a deception (more than a bit). Despite the claim that it is targeted for mainstream users how many mainstream users would end up at the Crucial site. The site is for do-it-yourselfers and would-be do-it-yourselfers. Mainstreamers go to stores and on-line stores. The true hobbiest knows his stuff and wouldn't touch the Crucial video card knowing he can find full fledged Radeon 8500LEs discounted everywhere for even less money and retail 8500s discounted for only a little more. Unsuspecting people are the only ones that are likely to purchase that video card and that's the deception. They could do better for less money elsewhere.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
August 29, 2002 5:01:38 PM

Quote:
The site is for do-it-yourselfers and would-be do-it-yourselfers. Mainstreamers go to stores and on-line stores. The true hobbiest knows his stuff and wouldn't touch the Crucial video card knowing he can find full fledged Radeon 8500LEs discounted everywhere for even less money and retail 8500s discounted for only a little more.

Right!
That's why I think Crucial is shooting itself in the foot. While I rely on them for good RAM, their Video Card business debut is a disaster, IMO.

August 29, 2002 5:21:09 PM

Well the good news is that people who turned to Crucial for memory will still do so. They won't even care about Crucial's misstep in the video market.

Personally, I think Crucial was probably supplying these video cards to the OEM market and just decided since they have the cards anyway they might as well sell them retail.

I don't understand why if they were going to sell low-end video cards why they didn't use the 9000/9000 Pro lineup (not that I'm a big fan of these cards either).

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
!