Max Damage Traps Can Do?

somebody

Hi...I've been lurking around this newsgroup a little while, but this
is my first post. Been playing Diablo II for a very long time but off
and on, so I don't have any really high-level characters. I usually
play Hardcore Assassins and Necromancers.

Anyway, my actual question is...what is the maximum damage traps can
do? They are probably worse in Nightmare and Hell difficulties...but
how much? I'm not talking about the kinds of traps Assassins use; I'm
talking about the "traps" when you open a chest and a fire bolt is
shot, a nova expands, or something else...(do those Flying Scimitars
do the same damage as regular Scimitars?) I'm also talking about the
maximum damage that you get from kicking something in like a barrel.
I know I've gotten very little damage sometimes, and then sometimes
surprisingly much...but has anyone actually crunched numbers
obsessively over this? If not, I'm willing to do the work, just
wondering if anyone else knows this before I go to the trouble...

In case you're wondering, I'm building a summoning/cursing
Necromancer, but I think that Bone Armor is not a good thing to rely
on... *but* I do want it to protect against those "traps" sufficiently
enough, so I'm wondering how many points I should put into Bone Armor
for that.

Thanks, info would be appreciated,
*Dividedbyzero on USEast

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:57:25 -0400, Somebody <thisis@fake.ihope> wrote:

> Hi...I've been lurking around this newsgroup a little while, but this
> is my first post. Been playing Diablo II for a very long time but off
> and on, so I don't have any really high-level characters. I usually
> play Hardcore Assassins and Necromancers.
>
> Anyway, my actual question is...what is the maximum damage traps can
> do? They are probably worse in Nightmare and Hell difficulties...but
> how much? I'm not talking about the kinds of traps Assassins use; I'm
> talking about the "traps" when you open a chest and a fire bolt is
> shot, a nova expands, or something else...(do those Flying Scimitars
> do the same damage as regular Scimitars?) I'm also talking about the
> maximum damage that you get from kicking something in like a barrel.
> I know I've gotten very little damage sometimes, and then sometimes
> surprisingly much...but has anyone actually crunched numbers
> obsessively over this? If not, I'm willing to do the work, just
> wondering if anyone else knows this before I go to the trouble...
>
> In case you're wondering, I'm building a summoning/cursing
> Necromancer, but I think that Bone Armor is not a good thing to rely
> on... *but* I do want it to protect against those "traps" sufficiently
> enough, so I'm wondering how many points I should put into Bone Armor
> for that.

Better to get your resists up to max and count on that to protect against
traps.
Max resists and you won't really have to worry about those traps any more.
Also, just in case you don't know, the trapped chests, etc. make a
distinctly loud creak when you open them. When I hear that creak, I
habitually run away and to the side a few steps, like a short pattern a
football receiver would run. Any fireballs that come out will hit
somewhere behind me. Not a bad habit to get. :)

--
freemont

somebody

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:24:32 -0400, Freemont <yabba@dabba.doo> wrote:

>Better to get your resists up to max and count on that to protect against
>traps.
>Max resists and you won't really have to worry about those traps any more.

That's probably a good idea. Yes, resistances are my friend...

>Also, just in case you don't know, the trapped chests, etc. make a
>distinctly loud creak when you open them. When I hear that creak, I
>habitually run away and to the side a few steps, like a short pattern a
>football receiver would run. Any fireballs that come out will hit
>somewhere behind me. Not a bad habit to get. :)

It took me a while I think, since at first I wasn't sure what noises
were supposed to happen... but I've known for a while now about the
creak sound that the chests, urns, and stuff make when you open/break
them, if they are trapped... and I've been in a habit of running
away... off and a little to the side as well, as you mentioned. I
learned running *straight* away doesn't do much good if it's a fire
bolt or something... now, for a nova it would, but at first there's no
telling what it is... so I try to run a little bit out, and a little
bit to the side at the same time... and most of the time, it works.
But there are times that for one reason or another I'm not quick
enough... so in a way it'd be nice to be protected just in case. Also
there have been times that the fire bolt got my mercenary, because I
was able to move out of the way but she/he just stood there... :p

--*Dividedbyzero on USEast

sliver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> Freemont wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:57:25 -0400, Somebody <thisis@fake.ihope>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi...I've been lurking around this newsgroup a little while, but this
>>> is my first post. Been playing Diablo II for a very long time but
>>> off and on, so I don't have any really high-level characters. I
>>> usually play Hardcore Assassins and Necromancers.
>>>
>>> Anyway, my actual question is...what is the maximum damage traps can
>>> do? They are probably worse in Nightmare and Hell difficulties...but
>>> how much? I'm not talking about the kinds of traps Assassins use;
>>> I'm talking about the "traps" when you open a chest and a fire bolt
>>> is shot, a nova expands, or something else...(do those Flying
>>> Scimitars do the same damage as regular Scimitars?) I'm also
>>> talking about the maximum damage that you get from kicking something
>>> in like a barrel. I know I've gotten very little damage sometimes,
>>> and then sometimes surprisingly much...but has anyone actually
>>> crunched numbers obsessively over this? If not, I'm willing to do
>>> the work, just wondering if anyone else knows this before I go to
>>> the trouble...
>>>
>>> In case you're wondering, I'm building a summoning/cursing
>>> Necromancer, but I think that Bone Armor is not a good thing to rely
>>> on... *but* I do want it to protect against those "traps"
>>> sufficiently enough, so I'm wondering how many points I should put
>>> into Bone Armor for that.
>>
>> Better to get your resists up to max and count on that to protect
>> against traps.
>> Max resists and you won't really have to worry about those traps any
>> more. Also, just in case you don't know, the trapped chests, etc.
>> make a distinctly loud creak when you open them. When I hear that
>> creak, I habitually run away and to the side a few steps, like a
>> short pattern a football receiver would run. Any fireballs that come
>> out will hit somewhere behind me. Not a bad habit to get. :)
>
> I do the same. Especially since I often play with the volume right down as
> shady has a desk right next to mine. More than once I've missed the 'trap
> noise' and my summoning necro with a leoric's arm has bone-prisoned
> himself
> in nice and tight with a burning chest. If I didn't have naj's puzzler on
> switch (teleport charges) I'd have to exit *real* quick. (Ashamed to say I
> died the first time this happened, I'm just glad it was softcore). Mostly
> just run and jink and one of my minions gets hit.

You need headphones then you won't bother shady and you won't miss the sound
LOL

--
In a World Full of Insanity
Here I Stand.