Dell's Extended Warranty is quite slick!

In May 2005, I bought a new Dell DIM 2400 from Dell. Included in that
particular promo was a 90 day warranty.

But, a few days later, even before delivery, I paid extra for what was
described as an extended ONE YEAR WARRANTY.

IT WAS NOT!! It was a One Year Warranty TOTAL, (including the original
90 days, which means I didn't get an extended One Year Warranty, I got
an Extended Warranty of 9 months, but they call it a One Year Warranty!
How slick!

Anybody have Michael Dell's email address, or any other contact that
may have a little authority? I'm fuming, and I don't want to take it
out on the poor clerks at the Warranty Sales Department.

ThanX, Mike

axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:

> In May 2005, I bought a new Dell DIM 2400 from Dell. Included in that
> particular promo was a 90 day warranty.
>
> But, a few days later, even before delivery, I paid extra for what was
> described as an extended ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
>
> IT WAS NOT!! It was a One Year Warranty TOTAL, (including the original
> 90 days, which means I didn't get an extended One Year Warranty, I got
> an Extended Warranty of 9 months, but they call it a One Year Warranty!
> How slick!
>
> Anybody have Michael Dell's email address, or any other contact that
> may have a little authority? I'm fuming, and I don't want to take it
> out on the poor clerks at the Warranty Sales Department.

It's not just Dell.

It's become commonplace for "extended warranties" to include the
original warranty period.

It's probably spelled out in the "fine print," which I doubt many
people bother to read.

Notan

David

Erehwon wrote:
>Buy an "extended 5 year/100,000 mile warranty" for a new car. You have a 5
>year/100,000 mile warranty, not 5 years or 100,000 miles beyond the original
>manufacturers warranty. Does anyone apply this phrase any differently?
No...some people just like to complain....
Dave

Erehwon

<axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In May 2005, I bought a new Dell DIM 2400 from Dell. Included in that
> particular promo was a 90 day warranty.
>
> But, a few days later, even before delivery, I paid extra for what was
> described as an extended ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
>
> IT WAS NOT!! It was a One Year Warranty TOTAL, (including the original
> 90 days, which means I didn't get an extended One Year Warranty, I got
> an Extended Warranty of 9 months, but they call it a One Year Warranty!
> How slick!
>
> Anybody have Michael Dell's email address, or any other contact that
> may have a little authority? I'm fuming, and I don't want to take it
> out on the poor clerks at the Warranty Sales Department.
>
> ThanX, Mike

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

ITs the norm and I dont know of any in the UK at least that don't do it
this way

axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:

> In May 2005, I bought a new Dell DIM 2400 from Dell. Included in that
> particular promo was a 90 day warranty.
>
> But, a few days later, even before delivery, I paid extra for what was
> described as an extended ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
>
> IT WAS NOT!! It was a One Year Warranty TOTAL, (including the original
> 90 days, which means I didn't get an extended One Year Warranty, I got
> an Extended Warranty of 9 months, but they call it a One Year Warranty!
> How slick!
>
> Anybody have Michael Dell's email address, or any other contact that
> may have a little authority? I'm fuming, and I don't want to take it
> out on the poor clerks at the Warranty Sales Department.

That's how extended warranties are sold, I believe. The 3 year extended
warranty I bought from Sony made it clear it was for the original
factory year plus 2 more.

You got a lot of replies most of which said that this dishonesty is the norm
so you are dumb because you expect otherwise.

Amazing what the lemmings accept nowadays!

Write and complain. Not all businesses are this dishonest.

JohnP

John Pezzano wrote:

> You got a lot of replies most of which said that this dishonesty is the norm
> so you are dumb because you expect otherwise.
>
> Amazing what the lemmings accept nowadays!
>
> Write and complain. Not all businesses are this dishonest.

Write and complain to who, and about what?

It's not a matter of dishonesty... A "Five Year Extended Warranty"
can be interpreted as 1) extending the warranty up to five years or
2) extending the warranty 5 years past the original warranty.

Most businesses, these days, interpret the term to mean the former.
If you'll take a look, I think you'll that most contracts clearly
spell this out.

Notan

> John Pezzano wrote:
> >
> > You got a lot of replies most of which said that this dishonesty is the
norm
> > so you are dumb because you expect otherwise.
> >
> > Amazing what the lemmings accept nowadays!
> >
> > Write and complain. Not all businesses are this dishonest.
>
> Write and complain to who, and about what?
>
> It's not a matter of dishonesty... A "Five Year Extended Warranty"
> can be interpreted as 1) extending the warranty up to five years or
> 2) extending the warranty 5 years past the original warranty.
>
> Most businesses, these days, interpret the term to mean the former.
> If you'll take a look, I think you'll that most contracts clearly
> spell this out.
>
> Notan

You have drank the Kool-Aid Notan. This isn't about whether the fine print
redefines that 5 years is really 4 years of additional coverage plus the one
year you already paid for. It's about calling something what it really is.
The consumer is paying for *4* years of additional coverage. Putting *5* in
the description is misleading and deceptive to people who have not partaken
of the Kool-Aid.

If you live in NY maybe you can unleash Eliot Spitzer on them?

John Pezzano wrote:

> You got a lot of replies most of which said that this dishonesty is the norm
> so you are dumb because you expect otherwise.

You're obviously working with a different definition of "dishonest" from
what I find in Webster's.

Notan wrote:
> axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>In May 2005, I bought a new Dell DIM 2400 from Dell. Included in that
>>particular promo was a 90 day warranty.
>>
>>But, a few days later, even before delivery, I paid extra for what was
>>described as an extended ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
>>
>>IT WAS NOT!! It was a One Year Warranty TOTAL, (including the original
>>90 days, which means I didn't get an extended One Year Warranty, I got
>>an Extended Warranty of 9 months, but they call it a One Year Warranty!
>> How slick!
>>
>>Anybody have Michael Dell's email address, or any other contact that
>>may have a little authority? I'm fuming, and I don't want to take it
>>out on the poor clerks at the Warranty Sales Department.
>

> It's not just Dell.
>
> It's become commonplace for "extended warranties" to include the
> original warranty period.
>
> It's probably spelled out in the "fine print," which I doubt many
> people bother to read.
>
> Notan
Typical DellBot response!!!!

administrator wrote:

> > <snip>
>
> Typical DellBot response!!!!

Do you EVER have anything constructive to say?

Notan

administrator wrote:

> Notan wrote:
>
>> axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>> In May 2005, I bought a new Dell DIM 2400 from Dell. Included in that
>>> particular promo was a 90 day warranty.
>>>
>>> But, a few days later, even before delivery, I paid extra for what was
>>> described as an extended ONE YEAR WARRANTY.
>>>
>>> IT WAS NOT!! It was a One Year Warranty TOTAL, (including the original
>>> 90 days, which means I didn't get an extended One Year Warranty, I got
>>> an Extended Warranty of 9 months, but they call it a One Year Warranty!
>>> How slick!
>>>
>>> Anybody have Michael Dell's email address, or any other contact that
>>> may have a little authority? I'm fuming, and I don't want to take it
>>> out on the poor clerks at the Warranty Sales Department.
>>
>> It's not just Dell.
>>
>> It's become commonplace for "extended warranties" to include the
>> original warranty period.
>>
>> It's probably spelled out in the "fine print," which I doubt many
>> people bother to read.
>>
>> Notan
>
> Typical DellBot response!!!!

Good one - expecting people to read the conracts they sign makes one a
Dellbot now? FEH!

Notan wrote:

> administrator wrote:
>
>>><snip>
>>
>>Typical DellBot response!!!!
>

> Do you EVER have anything constructive to say?

That's pretty much it for him, I'm afraid.

I think his mom mutilated a punch card when she was carrying
administrator and we see the result here.

> administrator wrote:
>>
>> > <snip>
>>
>> Typical DellBot response!!!!
>
> Do you EVER have anything constructive to say?
>
> Notan

No, but at least he's not just stalking me anymore.

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

>>>Typical DellBot response!!!!
>>
>>Do you EVER have anything constructive to say?
>>
>>Notan
>

> No, but at least he's not just stalking me anymore.

Tom,

If you really think I've been stalking you, please see a shrink. You are
suffering from Paranoia. There is medicine that will help you. BTW, why
would ANYONE want to stalk you? Just think about it!

"administrator" <quemandd@msn.com> wrote in message
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

>>>Do you EVER have anything constructive to say?
>>>
>>>Notan
>>

>> No, but at least he's not just stalking me anymore.
> Tom,
>
> If you really think I've been stalking you, please see a shrink. You are
> suffering from Paranoia. There is medicine that will help you. BTW, why
> would ANYONE want to stalk you? Just think about it!

Hmm, first post I've seen on this newsgroup other than "Dellbot Alert".