128-bit wep key converts to passphrase

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I forget the passphrase. Can someone tell me how to convert the
128-bit wep key back to passphrase,

Thanks,

Ray

If you are on a home network, it would be easier to just create a new
passphrase.

On 21 Jun 2004 10:49:40 -0700, ray282828@yahoo.com.hk (Ray) wrote:

>I forget the passphrase. Can someone tell me how to convert the
>128-bit wep key back to passphrase,
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ray

Neo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2003

If you have the WEP key, why do you need the passphrase?
Just enter the WEP key.

"Ray" <ray282828@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
> I forget the passphrase. Can someone tell me how to convert the
> 128-bit wep key back to passphrase,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Neo,

The reason is simple - easy to remember and apply. In the past, I
type the hex key in the client pc and found the results were
unreliable for whatever reason. Now, I use a wep key generator on
internet and copy it to clipboard and paste the key in. It works
100%. Therefore, I use this method now. I have a couple of AP set up
in the past and would like to use this method for future client pc
setup. I need to restore the past passphrase.

Thanks,

Ray

"neo" <neo@someisp.com> wrote in message news:<FxMBc.2649$lp1.1671@bignews5.bellsouth.net>...
> If you have the WEP key, why do you need the passphrase?
> Just enter the WEP key.
>
> "Ray" <ray282828@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
> > I forget the passphrase. Can someone tell me how to convert the
> > 128-bit wep key back to passphrase,
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ray

ray282828@yahoo.com.hk (Ray) wrote:
>type the hex key in the client pc and found the results were
>unreliable for whatever reason. Now, I use a wep key generator on
>internet and copy it to clipboard and paste the key in. It works
>100%.

The problem with passphrases is that the passphrase generation isn't
standardized between vendors, (or likely between Internet generators),
so they don't interoperate well.

If you look at the source of the WWWebpage that generates your keys
for you, you might be able to deconvolve the code and get your
passphrase back, either manually or by writing new code. [Yeah, it's
non-trivial.]

I'd ask why you trust some random Webpage to {make,store,save,share}
keys for you, but that's a rathole.

--
William Smith

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

William,

I get a shock to know that the passphrase -> wep key is non-standard.
However, I have used this method successfully on various devices on
notebook pcs, i.e., ORiNOCO, IBM, Toshiba, Sony, Netgear, Dell,..etc.
I tried to store the 128-bit wep key in a text file but found it did
not work. Typing 26 charaters accurately twice is not easy and even
thoght I type it right but Windows XP still did not work. However,
the said method proves workable every time so far.

Ray

William P.N. Smith wrote in message news:<ur7gd0p4v51ps0g5581kp168cnkq5nd76p@4ax.com>...
> ray282828@yahoo.com.hk (Ray) wrote:
> >type the hex key in the client pc and found the results were
> >unreliable for whatever reason. Now, I use a wep key generator on
> >internet and copy it to clipboard and paste the key in. It works
> >100%.
>
> The problem with passphrases is that the passphrase generation isn't
> standardized between vendors, (or likely between Internet generators),
> so they don't interoperate well.
>
> If you look at the source of the WWWebpage that generates your keys
> for you, you might be able to deconvolve the code and get your
> passphrase back, either manually or by writing new code. [Yeah, it's
> non-trivial.]
>
> I'd ask why you trust some random Webpage to {make,store,save,share}
> keys for you, but that's a rathole.

On 22 Jun 2004 22:05:39 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless ,
ray282828@yahoo.com.hk (Ray) wrote:

>William,
>
>I get a shock to know that the passphrase -> wep key is non-standard.
>However, I have used this method successfully on various devices on
>notebook pcs, i.e., ORiNOCO, IBM, Toshiba, Sony, Netgear, Dell,..etc.

Many vendors, including some you mention, don't even support passphrases
for all their hardware. My router accepts passphrases, but they are hashed
differently to one of my WiFi cards, and the other card insists on
alphanumeric keys.

>I tried to store the 128-bit wep key in a text file but found it did
>not work. Typing 26 charaters accurately twice is not easy and even
>thoght I type it right but Windows XP still did not work. However,
>the said method proves workable every time so far.

Save the key and passphrase on floppy disk next time...
--
Mark McIntyre